1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005-2008 rust frame recall in canada

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rhowell, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Mar 15, 2015 at 9:10 AM
    rhowell

rhowell [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    -Leather with Heated seats -AFE cold Air Intake -DE-jr Rims -Upper and Lower grills from Black Diamond Fabrication -Light bar behind grill -Hella Black Magic Rallye 1000 lights. -OME lift cw Dakar leafs -LR Upper control arms -Rosen duel DVD headrests -Nfab steps -leer canopy
    Went to my local Toyota dealership and the have replace 5 frames in the last 6 weeks. There was a frame laying in the parking lot that had just been removed from an 06. Did not look the bad but the mechanic showed me the reason for the frame replacement. It was not rotted thru but it had started too in the back end. I took pics and will upload as soon as phone charges. I am going to head back to try to take some better pics too.

2. Mar 16, 2015 at 11:45 AM
    Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Active Member

Member:
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road // (05 TRD Sport *SOLD*)
    new lightbulbs. lol
    be interested to see what it looked like.

3. Mar 16, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    where are you calling in from Robert?

4. Mar 16, 2015 at 12:13 PM
    TacoRob08

TacoRob08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Fredericton, NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    17 Sport DCLB
    AFE high tuck exhaust, OVTuned base 91
  5. Mar 16, 2015 at 12:38 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Surprising it wasn't up front , look forward to pics

6. Mar 16, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    dcaplan

dcaplan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Fergus, ON
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Venture
    I took my truck into Guelph Toyota and it came back out sprayed with the black gunk. They did an okay job although it certainly does make a mess! It was always rusty but never too bad and I kept it pretty clean. I am going to pull off my rear bumper and trailer hitch this summer and stand blast/paint them because the hitch looks terrible.

Manfred likes this.
  7. Mar 16, 2015 at 1:53 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I have a 2010 super white . It,s amazing how you can see the rust popping out everywhere on the box , doors and quarter panels . I just spent the last 2 hours with a clay bar on the drivers side of the box trying to remove the rust . I coat this with rust prevention and paint protection every year before we get snow . I guess living in the salt belt I have to expect I will have no truck left in a couple years :notsure:.

8. Mar 17, 2015 at 6:48 PM
    rhowell

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    -Leather with Heated seats -AFE cold Air Intake -DE-jr Rims -Upper and Lower grills from Black Diamond Fabrication -Light bar behind grill -Hella Black Magic Rallye 1000 lights. -OME lift cw Dakar leafs -LR Upper control arms -Rosen duel DVD headrests -Nfab steps -leer canopy
    Sorry for not getting back sooner. Could not figure out how to get photos off of my stupid phone.

Here are the pictures.

On a seperate note. I took my truck to Kal Tire today and had them put it up on the lift. I pressure washed the frame before going. I have almost NO rust on my 08 frame. I would say it is around 99% rust free. I have been using fluid film twice a year since '10.

I also contacted Toyota regarding the recall (my truck is a US model) and the told me that Toyota US has advised Toyota Canada to fix all US model Tacomas that reside in Canada.

Now my problem is it is going in next week to get a full CRC treatment but I kind of dont want too do it as the frame is doing so well and the fluid film is working great. I read somewhere that if you dont take the treatment and have future issues then you are not covered. I guess that means I will have to get it done.

Those are the pictures of the same frame. Went back later in the day and they had cut the frame.

20150314_094624.jpg
    20150314_094630.jpg
    20150315_093323.jpg
    20150314_094614.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    Manfred likes this.
  9. Mar 17, 2015 at 6:49 PM
    rhowell

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    That is probably imbeded break dust in the white paint. NOT METAL RUST. I get that too.

10. Mar 17, 2015 at 6:54 PM
    rhowell

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Kamloops BC

11. Mar 17, 2015 at 6:58 PM
    rhowell

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Sorry OZ, I got my front and rear mixed up. The bad location was right beside the CC.

12. Mar 17, 2015 at 6:59 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    From Ontario Canada, I found this at my local dealership in the GTA. They weren't able to tell me the year, but as you can tell by all the metal flakes on the ground it was in rough shape.

[​IMG]

13. Mar 17, 2015 at 9:55 PM
    rhowell

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    That's an ugly frame. Way worse than the one in my pics.

14. Mar 17, 2015 at 10:09 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

ah so

Yeah that's where it commonly occurs

15. Mar 26, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I wish it was brake dust . Confirmed by auto body shop that it is rust :mad:
    My frame looks similar to the above posted picture . No car washes open where I live . Have to drive 5 hours down a salted highway to get to a car wash that recycles their salt water :notsure:

16. May 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM
    Rx7turbo2

Rx7turbo2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB (Current) 2005 TRD OR DCSB (Sold)
    Hoping for a little advice.

I've got a 2005 DCSB, imported from the U.S. It's had a number of recalls preformed in Canada already but they seem to be denying this corrosion recall for some unknown reason. My frame has significant surface rust but I've been under it poking around and I don't see perforation or anything else that makes me all that alarmed. At the very least I'd like the coating applied.

Anybody have Toyota Canada tell them the same thing?

If you have a U.S truck in Canada (specifically Calgary, Alberta), and you've had the recall done any advice? What dealer did you deal with?

Any info is much appreciated :canada:

17. Jun 12, 2015 at 8:16 AM
    Stuligan

Stuligan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Billy 5100 level lift (0.85" front) White/Amber DRL/Signal Kit GTA Car kit for AUX/IPod Satoshi Grill 2x 20" LED Light bars behind grill HID headlights LED Taillgihts LED interior lights.
    Toyota took my truck on Monday. Had it inspected in August last year and the dealer said they'll do since December last year. Got corporate involved after waiting 10 months and according to Toyota Canada I'll have my truck back with a new frame by the end of the month. Going to slap a rust inhibitor on it as soon as I get it back. Truck's a 2005, and eith a new frame it should last about 10-15 years.

18. Jun 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM
    Rx7turbo2

Rx7turbo2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB (Current) 2005 TRD OR DCSB (Sold)
    Thought I'd give an update.

I'm always amazed how your experience can change so drastically dealership to dealership. As mentioned dealership #1 told me they spoke to Toyota Canada given them my VIN and that Toyota Canada had denied the recall on my vehicle. Service advisor went as far as to tell me I should drive down across the border to have the recall done by Toyota USA if I was that concerned about it.

Figured I didn't have anything to lose called dealership #2. Got a hold of a terrific service advisor. He didn't mince words, said the service advisor from dealership #1 was full if 5hit. He booked me in with a weeks notice. I showed up, shook his hand, gave him the keys, he had a rental parked out front ready to go. I was in and out in 10min. As I expected my frame wasn't that bad so the coating is all it got. I dropped the rental off picked up my own truck and was out in 10min again. All in all they had my truck two days, provided a rental car free of charge including reimbursing me for fuel costs. I've gotten under the truck, it looks pretty thorough to me so I'm happy.

Not all dealerships and service advisors are created equal it would seem.

TimsTaco and 8102 like this.
  19. Jun 13, 2015 at 4:54 AM
    Jeffch

Jeffch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 off road
    Running 285/75/16s
    Had not thought about car washing places reusing their "salt" water good point!!!

Not in Canada but just minutes away if it matters.
    Just had the crc done to mine nasty crap. Didn't want it, I've been cleaning coating for winter since I bought it 4 years ago.
    Only did it for warranty, dealer said it was a one time fix and no warranty. Called Toyota and warranty on frame until 2031. Not sure why my dealer would say that?

20. Jun 13, 2015 at 5:40 AM
    TimsTaco

TimsTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Moncton, NB
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB SR5 Sandstone Metallic
    OEM Fog lights, headache rack, work lights, Tailgate Theft Deterrent (hose clamp), Tailgate Reinforcement, Roll'n'Lock tonneau cover, OEM Inverter
    I have a tentative date in November/December for my truck. I think my frame is fine, but it has more rust on it that the frame in the first pics. No I kinda don't want to do any mods until I find out if I need a new frame or not. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top