1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Audio Update

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by UpstateTacoma, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Oct 7, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    UpstateTacoma

UpstateTacoma [OP] I'd rather be diving than working..

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    All Stock, future mods will be audio only!!
    Well guys, i am starting to buy stuff for my truck, by doing an audio mod.

I will be getting
    Kenwood dnx-9140
    Sound-deadner (Throw the best kind but not expensive kind for me to get)

Now heres my question. I dont want to spend too much money on the speakers and stuff, but here goes.

I am hard of hearing so I can not hear high pitch sounds. Having said that, I am trying to find a good set of speakers (No subs, Wife doesnt like the subs) and i will be powering it with an amp.

Amps and Speakers suggestion would be greatly apperiecated.

Should i get Component speakers or full range speakers.

Give me your 2 cents and I will start doing my mods and taking pictures and posting it.

2. Oct 7, 2009 at 1:46 PM
    UpstateTacoma

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    No replies?? Am i not that interesting?? haha

3. Oct 7, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
  4. Oct 7, 2009 at 3:31 PM
    UpstateTacoma

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    Well I was thinking about gettong polk audio. At the most I want to spend for the spears and amps are a total of 600-700 bucks.

5. Oct 7, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Not a lot that Polk makes for the car right now that I would get. That budget should be fine for what you're doing. I'd grab a small 4chanel amp that will fit under the seat and then do a good set of components up front and pretty much anything in the rear.

Maybe these in front? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9567_Focal+165+KF.html
    And whatever in the rear...you wont hear those anyways. :cool:

6. Oct 7, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    stang88

stang88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    why not go for the 7140 and spend more on better speakers?

i have pioneer 4 way 6x9's and pioneer 3 way 51/4 rear speakers.. a single pioneer shallow mount 12.. an infinity 4 channel amp. channels 3 and 4 are bridged for the sub and channels 1 and 2 run the inside speakers

i have the avic-f700bt as my head unit. i ddint need the 900, i dont need to watch dvd's while driving.

my system is very clean and clear... no an ounce of engine noise and the single 12's sounds awesome. i didnt see the since of going with smaller front door speakers, the 6x9's sound terrific and i am still using the factory tweeters. i really like pioneers line, i think for the average person wanting good sound, its a great choice. but kenwoods double din units that use garmin are the best on the market imo.

7. Oct 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM
    YotaCraZ

YotaCraZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Super White TRD Sport
    TRD Catback, AFE Pro Dry S Drop in, RS3200 Plus, Westin Step/Bull Bars, Access LE Tonneau, Redline Hood Struts, tint, AMI stubby antenna, AVS Vent Shades, Sylvannia Silverstar headlight/foglight bulbs, TRD Seat Covers, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Highland mats
    I just recently installed the Kenwood DNX9140 in my truck...you won't be disappointed.

Wrt:speakers...I just received, but have yet to install, Polk Audio MM6501 components for the front and MM651's for the rear. I will be driving them via a Kenwood XR-4S 4-channel amp. No sub required given the frequency response of the speakers and...I don't typically listen to music that needs to reproduce bass notes below 40 hz. I am partial to Polk Audio since that is also what I have in my home. From all the research I've conducted, I found the Polks to have the best frequency range 40-25K, wattage handling capacity (200-250 peak) and efficiency (94db/1W/1M) of most everything out there with exception of some of the most expensive (Focal) audio equipment on the market. Granted, specs on paper are...specs on paper, but you have to start with a comparative base-line to weed out the chaff. Speaker choice is a very personal thing and really based on your taste in music, listening level, etc. I picked Polk Audio primarily because I listen to Jazz almost exclusively (except when the wife rides; then it's country) and according to most all reviews from people that have them, these speakers have a very warm, clean and crisp sound. The MM-series is just below the SR-series. The Sr's are $800 a pair; I don't spend quite enough time in my vehicle to justify that expense

Questions...drop me a line.

8. Oct 7, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    UpstateTacoma

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    I have heard of focal but how good are they? I want something that's gonna give me good music with some bass, but allow the bass to be overpowering..

9. Oct 7, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    YotaCraZ

YotaCraZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Super White TRD Sport
    TRD Catback, AFE Pro Dry S Drop in, RS3200 Plus, Westin Step/Bull Bars, Access LE Tonneau, Redline Hood Struts, tint, AMI stubby antenna, AVS Vent Shades, Sylvannia Silverstar headlight/foglight bulbs, TRD Seat Covers, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Highland mats
    Don't know, I've never heard them and don't suspect I ever will. If price alone is any indication, I'd say they were the best you'll ever hear. You'd probably be hard-pressed to find anybody that carries them in their showroom (except for maybe in Hollywood or Downtown Manhatten.) Take a look at Crutchfield.com...I saw a 6.5 component set up for over 4K.

Again, speakers are a personal choice; you just need to spend some time in a showroom to narrow your choices. Wrt: bass being overpowering. Most all systems are capable of creating bass that is over-powering. Making correct adjustments via your enclosure/amp/crossover are the keys to creating the sound you want.

10. Oct 7, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    UpstateTacoma

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
  11. Oct 7, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    UpstateTacoma

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    come on there gotta be some people who did audio mods

12. Oct 8, 2009 at 5:16 AM
    UpstateTacoma

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    Maybe someone out there would know today? Trying my luck haha

13. Oct 8, 2009 at 5:20 AM
    stang88

Member:
    polk is ok stuff... but wholesale pricing the stuff is sooo cheap.i still think you should stick with 6x9's in the front doors. but thats just my opinion.

14. Oct 8, 2009 at 5:31 AM
    DLAV

DLAV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    SK
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB Barcelona Red
    N-Fab Steps, Weathertech floor mats, Oem Bed mat
    yeah Polk stuff is just OK. i've had a few of their speakers in other cars and they were good but didn't blow me away. those Pheonix Gold RSD's are supposed to be pretty awesome and Focal makes great products. you are best of going to local shops and actually listening to their speakers before you buy online because everyone likes a different sound. also check out some dedicated car audio forums. lots of useful info on them just make sure you read and search before you post a question because this question has been asked a million times

15. Oct 8, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    i've got a pretty expensive setup in my truck.. and i chose to run all pioneer premier speakers in the doors. its been so long i cant remember the model numbers off the top of my head but they are very impressive. the fronts are components that are way more capable than what the specs they have show... the rears a full range premiers but obviously are less important. spend your money on a good from component set and then you can pick something a little less desirable for the rear doors as those really shouldn't be heard anyways.

16. Oct 8, 2009 at 5:47 AM
    UpstateTacoma

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    Why 6x9? I thought 6.5 were better? :confused:

17. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    Gossamer

Gossamer Howard Roark

Member:
    West of Illinois and East of Nebraska
    Here's what I would do...

Buy Raamat...I've said it in nearly all of my posts...awesome product and cheap.

Find some good quality amps on line on craigslist...I bought three Old School PPI Art series amps for $300...an a600, a300 and a200...enough to power two sets of components and my two 8" subs.

I happen to run Focal 5.25 Separates, 130KP's up front and 130KFs rear. Plenty of mid. My friend competed with 5.25 fronts and did very well.

Find a quality head unit...should be able to do that for $200.

If I was going budget and needed good speakers, I'd buy Bostons any day. They have great 6x9s and an excellent entry level speaker...definitely better than polk audio.

I dont' know if you'll get it done for $6-$700 but it might be close.

18. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    UpstateTacoma

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    Well i am not too stressed about the budget, The Dyno or Raamat or whatever is a seperate budget. Not worried about it.. amp can come at a later time if needed, but wanted to get everything first before i go to install the speakers and etc.

19. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    stang88

Member:
    thats personal opinion. to me a good quality 6x9 has great sound. I have them in my truck and they rock. i am not saying that 6.5 arent good, but a good quality 6x9 should outperform a 6.5 any day. now a 6.5 component set is a good choice, but the cost factory isnt enough to justify spending alot more for equal or lesser sound then a 6.x9.

you can go to shops to hear the speakers, but they are on a display and will not sound the same as in a door.

20. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    UpstateTacoma

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    Theres a few in my town. Masters has a shop and they wanted to sell me memphis so thats something i may look at..

Products Discussed in

To Top