1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rage Broadheads

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Firefighter160, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    Firefighter160

Firefighter160 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    Anyone tried the Rage broadheads yet? Ive heard they are rank but a buddy shot a small deer with one Saturday and we blood trailed it for 2.5 hours then ran out of blood.

2. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    couple of folks i know use them, and they like them pretty good. blood trails are pretty good from what i have been told. all depends on shot placement. shoot too far back and have a gut shot......you'll likely trail a deer for that long and then the trail just quits....been there done that.

3. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    Firefighter160

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    Yea he didnt have a pass through either, Ive been hunting with trusty old muzzys for 6 years and never had a problem with em.

4. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah.....muzzys are awesome broadheads...i have used them, as well as the NAP thunderheads.... good to. right now, im using crimson talons......have heard good about them, but havent seen anything yet this year.

5. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    Firefighter160

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    Yea I looked at the crimson talons I just hate to switch when the ole muzzys have worked for me so long. I just want a better blood trail than I get.

6. Oct 6, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    grassflatsfisher

grassflatsfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD OffRoad DC
    Grille Guard, Husky Liners, More to come...only got 800miles on it.
    Why do all these people like Muzzy's...cuz they work. All the mechanical broad heads have one big flaw....they are mechanical. Get some fixed blade or cut on contact type broad heads. They will never fail you. I don't want to have to depend on something opening up or not opening. Goes back to the old saying...KISS...Keep it simple stupid. Last thing you want in the deer woods is something to worry about. To much going on with adrenaline and pressure of making the shot.

I started shooting Slick Tricks and Grizz Tricks last year. I still shoot Simmons land sharks and Magnus Stingers also. The slick and griz tricks leave a massive hole and serious hemorroging. I shot 6 deer with my bow last year and none went futher than 40yds. Seemed like as soon as I couldn't see them they piled up. They fly very very good and are bad news to deer. Thing I like about simmons and magnus are the fact I can resharpen them 20 times as long as the aren't bent. I got one magnus head that has taken 11 deer. Got a simmons I took 7 deer and 2 coyotes with. 165gr of death.

Just my .02.

7. Oct 6, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    All I use is G5 Montec's But any sharp broadhead will kill with a good shot...

8. Oct 6, 2009 at 9:01 PM
    bhtyler10

bhtyler10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    baytown, texas
    Vehicle:
    2001 sr5 trd package 4x4
    3 in body lift, 3 in suspension , 35 pro comp xtreme m/t, deck plate mod, eagle wheels, dumped exhaust, grey wire mod, system with two 10's, Black/chrome westin bull bar. window tint
    CANT BEAT THEM MUZZYS:)
    Yeah but the 2 blade rage are not bad, that is if you are shooting fast enough to push them through a nice sized buck. You lose alot of KE with a 2.25" cut. The 3 blade on the other hand are not so good. The third blade often gets caught and doesn't open. My buddy has tried both, and he is now back with a fixed blade. I personally shoot muzzy 100 grain. Never let me down. T

9. Oct 6, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    Firefighter160

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    Yea I think Im going to stick with the Muzzys for now, Im shooting the mx3s in 100 grain. I killed a doe sat with em and she went about 75 yards, the buddy that shot the rage well that was another story...

10. Oct 6, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    Good351

Good351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ames, IA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner V8
    I work as an archery tech in a small store, had lots of guys come in complaining they were not getting pass-throughs with Rage's. Same story back home where I do alot of hunting, lots of guys not happy with Rage's.

I'm shooting the Rocky Mt. Titanium, and some old G5 B-52's. I ruined two ACC's shooting the same spot at 50 yards getting ready for elk season...good enough for me.

11. Oct 6, 2009 at 9:37 PM
    Firefighter160

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    Yea thats what happened to my friend Saturday, no pass through. With that came a crappy blood trail and eventually nothing, ended up looking for 2 and half hours and found nothing. Went back Monday to hunt again and found the deer about a mile from where he shot it with half a the arrow in its front shoulder.

12. Oct 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    bhtyler10

Member:
    baytown, texas
    Vehicle:
    2001 sr5 trd package 4x4
    3 in body lift, 3 in suspension , 35 pro comp xtreme m/t, deck plate mod, eagle wheels, dumped exhaust, grey wire mod, system with two 10's, Black/chrome westin bull bar. window tint
    One broadhead I am using now on top of muzzy's is the new reign. It is pretty awesome. passed clean through a nice sized boar. if you have never heard of them google them. I was real skeptical at first, but I might shoot a deer with them after my great performance on a hog. You don't lose much kinetic energy because the blade pivots around the bone, unless of course you hit is square up then it litterally blows right through it.

13. Oct 6, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    Firefighter160

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    Huh Ive never heard or seen those before but seems like it would work...

14. Oct 7, 2009 at 10:07 AM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    I myself shoot rages, but alas, I have not had the pleasure to give any feedback......yet.:D From what I have heard, read and seen, they sure make it out that they are a top notch broadhead. But, if I don't like em, I will switch back to muzzy's. check out the uncensored commercial at

www.ragebroadheads.com

15. Oct 7, 2009 at 7:26 PM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    i will never shoot anything but fixed blades. everyone that i know that has tried mechanicals has had alot of problems. they have all gone back to shooting fixed blades. i have always shot muzzys. i switched to steel force phat heads this year.
    they are the toughest blade out. i switched b/c my wife was shooting muzzys also
    at 40 lbs and never had pass throughs. she started shooting the phat heads and they were blowing through. they are a cut on contact blade, where as a muzzy is
    a hole punch style. i always had pass throughs with muzzys, unless i was shooting a quartering shot. i figured if i shot steel force at 70 lbs., then nothing would stop it.

16. Oct 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    Outback

Outback Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was a "only fixed blade" hunter. I got 3 last year with the rage 3 blade. They are pretty good. All the blood trails were huge. It left a hole the size of a tennis ball each time!

17. Oct 7, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    grassflatsfisher

grassflatsfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD OffRoad DC
    Grille Guard, Husky Liners, More to come...only got 800miles on it.
  18. Oct 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM
    bhtyler10

Member:
    baytown, texas
    Vehicle:
    2001 sr5 trd package 4x4
    I spend a lot of time at the local archery shop, and they tested out some broadheads, and the steel force phatheads actually stuck into a steel plate while most others were shattered.

19. Oct 7, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    ive been looking at them recently also..They have amazing reviews, and I think I may switch to them..Im dying to find out how these rocky mountain premiers shoot thou..I got permission to hunt kinda *hush hush* behind someones house, so I dont have alot of room for error if u know what I mean..

20. Oct 7, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    Firefighter160

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    Those phat heads look pretty lethal and I imagine pass through isn't a problem. I have never seen or tried a cut on contact broadhead so maybe Ill give them a try next year.

Products Discussed in

To Top