1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ultimate Camping Thread

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by davestaco, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Mar 1, 2015 at 4:58 AM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    Thanks Everyone. If there is something you want to see more photos from let me know. I took a good amount

2. Mar 1, 2015 at 7:50 AM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    Awesome pics Alex!

3. Mar 1, 2015 at 9:00 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    I had an interesting conversation about camping alone with people today. Seems like most refuse to go out alone. I enjoy going out alone and can seldom find someone to join me anyways. Do you guys prefer a friend to go out with you or would you rather just get as far away from anyone as possible?

4. Mar 1, 2015 at 9:09 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Depends. The farther out, yes.

5. Mar 1, 2015 at 9:19 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    Yes more pics please!

Generally I prefer to be alone, just me and my girlfriend. But it can be fun to go with others.

6. Mar 2, 2015 at 6:20 AM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    I tend to go alone. Im a go to bed by 9 and get up at 5am sort of person. I like being on the trail by 6am. Not many people are that way. Same I am a get up and get going type. To many people I have been with sleep in till 8 or 9 then take 2-3 hours to get going.

When I do go with people I usually just bring a book or a tablet and watch movies till people are up

And never afraid of being alone....I have at least a pistol on me and if im truck camping ill have my ar or shotgun

7. Mar 2, 2015 at 6:44 AM
    Deathbysnusnu

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    You explained that perfectly. I find myself in the same camp, so to speak, lol.
    I'm in bed shortly after dark and up just before dawn and on the move shortly thereafter. When camping with friends, always pacing around, waiting on them to get up and move.
    Only so many hours in the day, I like to use all of them.:D

8. Mar 2, 2015 at 8:03 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    This.

I can't stand waiting for people in the morning. I usually have a granola bar for breakfast cause it take way too long to set everything up and clean before moving along.
    Also when I'm camping alone I usually just have a knife beside when I sleep. I keep a tight ship with food and never sleep with anything other than my phone, knife and pajamas so I'm not worried about animals.

9. Mar 2, 2015 at 8:14 AM
    velillen

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    I still eat a good breakfast...or least somewhat good.

When out hiking its usually wake up, start the jetboil (which has water in it already), get up and pee, get back in sleeping bag and eat oatmeal, make hot chocolate (usually) with remaining hot water. After that I start breaking down camp and cleaning up everything. Usually by then im all done with the hot chocolate and clean than up and finish up packing and am on the trail. Takes about an hour.

But when I am hiking these days its 15-20 mile days. So early start before it gets to hot out and then stopping around 3 or 4 pm usually. Ive been known to go to bed around 7 some nights if im tired.

If im truck camping it is a bit different but not to much. Same sort of routine but I end up waiting for people. Since its the truck ill have stuff to entertain me while I wait

10. Mar 2, 2015 at 9:12 AM
    BabyTaco

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    Interesting. I am certainly a slow moving guy in mornings. I will normally rise before the rest depending on what I did at night but I enjoy relaxing and taking my time with packing up. Because of that I tend to pack up right away with groups to not slow them down. I also tend to fish in the mornings so I am in no hurry to get moving unless its a trek to the nearest water.

Safety wise, I have my gutless dog :laugh: but that's it. I don't bother bringing a fire arm or keeping a pocket knife readily available. If I am in bear country (by bear country I mean constant sightings) then I may put a bell on my dog and myself and carry a can of bear spray. That's just so I don't startle one of em on accident.

I am more scared of my stupidity than I am of animals haha. I have put myself in some dumb situations with cliffs and rivers in the past.

11. Mar 2, 2015 at 10:37 AM
    velillen

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    Its a habit thing for me. I wake up at 5-5:30am for work so it just has become natural for me to be up around then. Sleeping in for me is 6:30-7am. I don't mind it though cause I get to the store before everyone else :)

As for the protection...that's just another habit. I carry all the time so if I go camping its just natural for me. Its not even being worried about critters or other people. Just a habit so if I don't have it I don't sleep as well and wake up to every little noise.

12. Mar 2, 2015 at 11:20 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I'm 50/50 on camping solo. Sometimes all I want to do is go out alone, but the wife hates it when I'm solo because she worries something will happen. There are times when I'm supposed to meet with friends that I go the first night alone just for the solitude and to do everything at my pace. If I'm backpacking, it's hard to find someone who goes at my pace (as it is with most), and usually they don't come prepared so it ends up being a babysitting venture. It's tough to find people on the same level (goes both ways, because I don't like being pressured into a pace that's faster than I want to go). I find the balance by doing some solo trips, and others with friends.

13. Mar 2, 2015 at 12:26 PM
    BabyTaco

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    I agree Timmy. I would get a few trips in the summers with the guys but that's it. That would also limit me to truck camping.

I also don't mind going at others paces (fast sucks but it feels good to push yourself) or teaching them what/how to pack. I really enjoy being able to get someone that has never been camping or hiking out to show them how awesome it is. Maybe it's just the fact I live in a college town but it is exceptionally hard to find someone that will actually come out. Girls are all about those day hikes or even a short drive in the mountains. Soon as you mention weekend it all goes out the window.

I met a few cool guys that enjoy fly fishing and pretty much bum it through the summer just so they can fish. Hopefully I can tag along with them some.

I am just about to the point of publicly posting on facebook :laugh:. Surely one out of the hundreds of people I added will be like "fuck yes, my future best friend" and tag along.

That said, there is something awesome about camping alone too. The idea sucks and it takes a bit of mental energy to make myself physically get up, leave the house and not return. Soon as I get past the first night I just don't want to head home :cool:. Very peaceful and relaxing.

14. Mar 2, 2015 at 12:36 PM
    Deathbysnusnu

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    I have never had an issue camping alone. I like having friends go along too, but it usually turns into a party with my group. :drunk:
    Not that there's anything wrong with that..:D
    Hunting season, I'm in a tent for a minimum of 3 weeks, one week I have company, the other two I'm on my own and love it. You do carry a higher sense of caution being on your own, nobody will hear your cry for help or check to make sure you made it back to camp.

During the summer's due to work, etc, it's usually just a two nighter now and then.

15. Mar 2, 2015 at 1:26 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I camp alone most of the time just because I keep a weird schedule - I'm up early to get pictures at dawn, hike all day, maybe take a little nap, then back out until dark for more pictures. I eat on the run except maybe lunch when I will stop to cook a real meal. Breakfast and dinner are whatever I can eat while driving or hauling my camera around.

Doesn't bother me really - you take time to appreciate your surroundings more when you're on your own. I see and hear a lot more animals when I'm on my own - to the point of having elk share my campsite with me. :laugh: wouldn't have had that experience if I had been in a group or had a dog with me. I'm perfectly content hanging out by my campfire, reading a book, watching the stars or just poking at my fire with a stick. That's my "therapy" :cool: best way to relax and forget about the rest of the world.

I don't really worry about animals - bears - I keep a clean camp, survey my surroundings before setting up (looking for recent tracks, game trails, etc), and carry bear spray 24/7. Never had an issue

16. Mar 3, 2015 at 6:47 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I love solitude. I love the open road and the back country. I enjoy sharing it with others too. But I confess, that solo trips are the most rewarding.

17. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:26 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    They teach you more about yourself too.

18. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:30 PM
    JPC

JPC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JPC
    Highlands Ranch, CO.
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC SB TRD 4X4
    5100s front & rear, 2"AAL, KMC XD wheels, Hecuules Tera Trac AT II 265/65/17 tires, ARE Color Matched Topper, Thule Roof Rack, Alpine INE-W940
    I'm wanting to add power inside of my topper for overnight/ weekend camping trips. I could use some help trying to figure out how and were to mount a second battery, ideas on how to keep it charged(alternator, solar, etc??) Is there any threads that show other peoples builds? I would like to run some low amp led lights, have power for a laptop, charge a phone, run a small fan in summer and maybe a small electric heater during the winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated

19. Mar 3, 2015 at 8:02 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Dual battery thread.

20. Mar 23, 2015 at 9:48 AM
    Jiveydude

Jiveydude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    OH
    Vehicle:
    04Taco
    stuff and things that make it better
    Got back late last night from a small trip down to Zion, here's some pics.

The ever popular hammock off the bumper set up.
    IMG_0980_zpsftojqdv2_4c576b6a5039ebc58d8d24a918a6e86f35c3c5d5.jpg

The view from camp.
    IMG_1013_zpslnmcttb4_bbf060bd3a0022d9b51789e33f516c7458622cf8.jpg

Camp was set up on the plateau's above the ghost town of Grafton, Ut. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, among other movies, was filmed there.
    IMG_1036_zpshlscrtjr_e700bf719e8c1aaa22e0ff231a236feeb1710f09.jpg

IMG_1035_zps6hrmpezt_7456b623e6301a189d12a062acd1e532babcef83.jpg

Then of course, the view from Angles Landing (pretty close to the same spot as Amaes's shot).
    IMG_0994202_zpsztahpdbx_50e30d9f99f647727930ac716ceb740a3815979b.jpg

IMG_1000_zps0sbs1hhi_f960e744d4d32693b7b64e45b5c20a370d329b59.jpg

scocar likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top