1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starter dead

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by PedroH, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Mar 26, 2015 at 7:14 AM
    PedroH

PedroH [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Today when i tried to start my Tacoma, i turned the key and nothing happened, i heard a click coming from the engine bay, but the engine doesn't crank. My battery is good and it looks my starter died. Would be the starter, or the relay, or any other related problem?

I Did this video to help with the diagnosis

https://youtu.be/LC39R1P3ikw

2. Mar 26, 2015 at 7:18 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Do what you like but I'd try another battery, first then take it from there.

3. Mar 26, 2015 at 7:38 AM
    Brake Weight

Brake Weight But it hasn't rained in weeks...I'll make it.

Member:
    Deep South near the Third Coast
    Vehicle:
    Taco pulling 33s and a B6 pushing 33psi
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    Check the voltage of the battery with a simple multimeter if you have one. It should be above 12v slightly if fully charged by the alt. If low, try a jumpstart. If good, find a helper and something you can tap on the starter with thats solid. 1" metal pipe and/or a hammer. Make sure you're in park or neutral so you don't get ran over. The vibration will usually cause the starter to act right.

Go from there.

4. Mar 26, 2015 at 8:47 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    It sounds like the starter solenoid is likely the problem (that click sound is more than just the starter circuit relay).

If you are able to remove the starter yourself, you may be able to fix it, rather than replace the whole thing. A common problem is one of the the copper contacts in the solenoid wears down over time. Typically, the symptom starts out as an occasional failure, then gets more common, until weeks later, then no start at all.

The starter rebuild kit (including contacts) is only available at the dealer, maybe $40 american.

5. Mar 26, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    exactly what happened to mine last year.

I rebuilt my starter with a kit from Amazon. New contacts and plunger were $13.

6. Mar 26, 2015 at 9:42 AM
    PedroH

Member:
    I have one little problem: I'm far away for US, and here Tacomas were not officially sold by Toyota. Some parts that were same as 4runners I may find in the dealer, others i have to import from US, it takes time and a lot of money once the customs taxes and usual currency exchange is fucking shi* (1USD=3BRL) If the starter is really dead, i will try some repair shop.

I will start checking my battery, then trying to hit the starter, presuming he is jammed, and for last, remove.

The starter never failed till now. It was a sudden death.

7. Mar 26, 2015 at 9:57 AM
    RobertHyatt

RobertHyatt You just can't fix stupid...

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Birmingham AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    I can name several things that will cause that.

(1) check + wire from battery to starter. Should and probably will read 0 ohms. But look at it. I had a Dakota that got the greenish battery acid corrosion up under the insulation where you could not see it. And while it was zero ohms to an ohmmeter, it would not conduct enough current to run the starter. Since you get a clicking, that really speaks to lack of current.

(2) ditto for the battery ground which is often not so easy to track to where it bolts to the frame. And how it is connected to the block with one or more ground straps that can flex and fatigue (and break) with heavy-duty off-road banging around.

(3) I had an old astro van in the 80's that blew a head gasket quietly. Sitting at the office, a cylinder filled up with water. Just a click since water would not compress, but at least I could tell the starter was drawing current since everything would get dim when I hit it.

(4) it is possible the starter failed, but I would think "unlikely". They usually give you some sort of warning. Yes you could have a wire break on the armature. You COULD end up with the brushes hitting the commutator and just energizing one or two bad windings so that it won't spin. It just seems to be impossibly rare.

The quickest test is to take a pair of jumper cables, connect to battery and starter directly bypassing the cables in the truck. Hit the switch and see if it turns over now. If so you know it is either + or ground with excessive resistance.

Be sure you connect battery - (ground) directly to starter body. Otherwise you will still be testing a hidden ground path. IE if the starter grounds through contact with the block and via the bolts that hold it on, rust or corrosion or salt or age can increase the resistance. By clamping ground right on the starter, you have a good complete circuit (assuming your jumper cables are not 100 years old and use wire the size of string. :) )

8. Mar 26, 2015 at 10:27 AM
    PedroH

Member:
    I remembered the last use of the starter was pretty hard due the infamous hot start problem. I had to crank the engine several times until turns on. Then i drove 4 blocks and parked the truck.

9. Mar 26, 2015 at 10:37 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Starter solenoid contacts are cheap!~ first check voltage on the batter terminals NOT on the battery post. if the contact and voltage is good--IMO it is the starter solenoid contacts. You can do it--not difficult--just time consuming.
    IF IF IF you are in a pinch--sometimes if you file the solenoid contacts-it is a EMERGENCY temporary fix.

10. Mar 26, 2015 at 11:43 AM
    Snowman

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    When I replaced mine they were all corroded but for sure could have been sanded a bit and reused. I just replaced them since I had already made the purchase.

11. Mar 26, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    If it is one of the contacts (you'll be able to tell when you open up the solenoid), you might be able to fabricate one from a scrap piece of copper using a small vise, hack saw and drill. Creativity is what keeps Cuban cars on the road, verdad?

Also, those contacts are possibly used in many other Toyotas, not just Tacomas. If you can find a wrecked Toyota, those contacts might do.

buena suerte

12. Mar 26, 2015 at 1:51 PM
    Snowman

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    And according to the reviews on Amazon for the rebuild kit I bought, they fit in many many other manufacturers.

13. Mar 26, 2015 at 2:01 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.

I would take the starter down to the parts store and start comparing it to other similar models of toyota trucks sold there, i am pretty sure you will find one that will fit. The bodies may be different, but toyotas pretty good about using common parts across their product lines.

14. Mar 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    PedroH

Member:
    Battery tested, it's 12v plus
    Got 12v at the starter, checked too.
    Tried to remove, failed. The upper bolt is almost impossible to reach. The exhaust manifold is totally in the way of the wrenches movement.

15. Mar 26, 2015 at 3:30 PM
    Brake Weight

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    Is the Hilux sold there? It should be the same starter.

16. Mar 26, 2015 at 4:17 PM
    PedroH

Member:
    Yes, each corner you find a Hilux here. But all diesel engines.

17. Mar 26, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    Brake Weight

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mmmm. Diesel Hilux. You could sell them by the ship load here.

18. Mar 28, 2015 at 7:02 AM
    PedroH

Member:
    Solved! It was really the corroded copper solenoid's contacts. Just sanded and is working again. I ordered the rebuild kit from Amazon, once I receive( it arrives on Tuesday at my forwarder warehouse, then If I choose courier shipping, more tree days it will be delivered at my door) then I will do the definitive fixing.
    I've readed that is pretty hard to remove the starter from the place due the lack of space but it was easy, it's tight but passes between the manifold, frame and the control arm.

19. Mar 28, 2015 at 7:06 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Right on, Pedro! Glad to hear you got it!

20. Mar 29, 2015 at 2:55 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    GREAT JOB! Now you are good to go!!! (almost)
    It is usually EASIER the second time!!!! LOL
    Now you are an expert and can advise someone else!!!
    Fyi--on the Older Trucks-pre Tacoma- You could swap the contacts--they were identical.
    Normally only the one that supplies the starter motor is worn.

Products Discussed in

To Top