1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 Speed Swap Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Desertgoose, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Mar 19, 2015 at 9:14 PM
    Desertgoose

Desertgoose [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hello Tacoma World, I have a 1997 4Runner V6 5 speed and plan to purchase 2002-2004 Double Cab 4x4. My thought is to swap the trans, transfer case, ECU, wiring harness and pedal assembly from each vehicle. As best I can tell this would be a direct swap and given I would be transferring all related components this would work with no issues. I have searched quite a bit with no specific answer on this. I am in CA so the CEL cannot become an issue. I would appreciate any insight/thoughts on this. Thank You.

2. Mar 25, 2015 at 12:45 PM
    alphabravo

alphabravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    You should be able to search online for an asian kid who converted his d/c to a 5 speed. It is a pretty difficult swap. He might be on TW.

I have heard tho that it would be easier to start from a 5 speed extra cab and just swap the cab than to start from a d/c and swap the transmission.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  3. Mar 25, 2015 at 8:44 PM
    Desertgoose

Desertgoose [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Thanks Alphabravo, yes I found that thread, very impressive for sure. The one issue he never addressed was the mis-matched VINs which in the awesome state of CA would be a problem.

4. Mar 26, 2015 at 10:09 AM
    alphabravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    Good point. There must be some paperwork that can deal with the VIN change. What happens if you have to have your cab replaced due to a collision?

Anyway I don't know that much about it except that the 5 spd double cab is the holy grail :) I never understood why they didn't make one.

5. Mar 27, 2015 at 3:05 AM
    neegdogdig

neegdogdig Untrained with bad experiences go go go!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen DC V6
    Well, my 01 dcab is a 5speed but its Built Not Bought

Screenshot_2014-09-17-15-54-28.jpg

6. Mar 27, 2015 at 10:56 AM
    alphabravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Sweet.

Yeah I think if I was going to convert my d/c into a 5 speed I would convert to a domestic engine and drive train. I know the crate v8 engine conversion is pretty strait forward and perhaps the 5 speed would be as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top