1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shotgun advice..??

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by sandman427, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Oct 7, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    I would have gone with the Remington like a lot of others suggested.

With any hand gun you go with, good luck finding rounds for it right now. Because everyone was so freaked out when Obama went into office almost all ammo was bought up and now suppliers are trying to catch up with demand with little success. This has also increased the price of ammo.

I personally didn't go with Glock because they are mostly made from plastic and there is no safety.

2. Oct 7, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    Right on thanks for the info on the rounds padaro... I was gonna go with the Remington but there was Coo special on the mosseberg... I'm everbtually gonna get another one and it will be a Remington... I hear about the glocks being made of plastic... But y do a lot if police departments use them..?? Just outta curiosity..?? And is the the #7 #8 and so on mean the Gage of the shell..??

3. Oct 7, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    #7, #8 is the size of the shot. You have 00 sized shot, and the pellets are physically that size.

The gauge is the diameter of the shell. So a 12 gauge shell with 00 buckshot will have more size 00 pellets than a smaller 28 gauge shell, but the actual size of the pellets does not change, there are just fewer of them. So different gauge = smaller diameter (and length) shell, fewer pellets. The shot # is the size of each pellet, and its consistent between gauges.

4. Oct 7, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    Wow dude thanks for the info... Thanks for answering my newb questions haha...

5. Oct 7, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    No problem. Shotguns are great things. :)

6. Oct 7, 2009 at 12:50 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i havent had any problem in the past 2-3 months finding ammo for my .40

prices im paying are similar to that of this time last year

My Glocks have safeties...its called ME...i dont want to have to deal with a safety other than me when trying to defend my life

7. Oct 7, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    :amen:

8. Oct 7, 2009 at 1:14 PM
    Jmartin89

Jmartin89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma TRD off road
    265/75/16 buckshot mudders, 3" lift OME 886 coils, LR UCA's, TRD cold air intake, AllPro rear bumper, rock sliders, and front bumper
    i would go with the remington 870 12 gauge its relible and not to expensive and you can always find a pistol grip and other accsesories for it too im not really a big fan of mossberg and as far as the pistols go sig and glock are good pistols just depends on what you feel more comfortable with

9. Oct 7, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    So hopefully you got all the info! Smaller "gauge" means bigger round size. Ie, 12 gauge is bigger than 16, bigger than 20, etc. For some reason, there's also a .410 shotgun, which is more a "survival" size.

The size of the projectile is typically the other wierd numbers. 000 larger than 00 (aka "double aught buck"),#4 larger than $8. There's also BB shells, using, yup, BB's like an airgun would have. Then there are lead, steel, etc, used as the material for the projectile. You might also be able to find "flechette" rounds which are basically little tiny darts. Then there are "novelty" rounds, ie "flamethrower" "flares" and various "loud noise" types of rounds, then 'bean-bag" rounds that are meant to be less lethal. Go persue CheaperThanDirt someday for all the varieties.

On a practical note, I worked for a while at a trauma center in Detroit. Birdshot sucks, but it won't kill most folks - we called it "Detroit measles" because it was so common. After a few yards it looses too much oomph. Buckshot kills, but also maims pretty well, though like any other shot, it tends to lose power quickly. Personally, I wouldn't ever hunt with any shot shell, but I also don't hunt... Slugs will certainly knock down a human or larger animal, but probably would overpenetrate and go out of your house if you were using in that manner, and missed your target.

Hope you're thoroughly confused now!

10. Oct 7, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    You can hit dove with a rifle? Props man! ;)

11. Oct 7, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    A lot of guys at gun shops (turners) will tell you to get #4 shot if you are afraid of over penetration, But I'm not worried about that so bought a lot of 00 buck. All I care is the assailant is no more of a threat to me with that first shot, because by the second shot he probably would have shot you.

12. Oct 7, 2009 at 4:14 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Yea your right but I wanna find some novelty rounds aka "flamethrower rounds" what the hell is that used for..?? And no I'm nt confused I'm getting a hell Of a lot more knowledgable in this stuff... But damn I nver new there could be this many rounds in one shotgun..?? Thanks again keep em coming if u guys have any more input... I appreciate it..

13. Oct 7, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Its a very versatile gun. You can go from birdshot to buckshot. Then slugs. rubber round, darts, beanbags, grenade, and a lot more exotic rounds.

14. Oct 8, 2009 at 11:43 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Finally picked it up and went shooting in the desert... Man i love it and this is deff a new hobby.... So i shot my buddies glock 22 and i liked it and it had a lot less kick back than i thought... I have yet to shot a sig but i deff cant wait for that one eiher... Here are some pics...

IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1495.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg

15. Oct 12, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Ay I figured what handgun I want... And I'm settling for a sig... But there is 2 that I'm trying to figure out what the differnces r between the two..?? One is the sig p229 Dak and the sig p229 equinox... They look differnt but idealy the same parts and idea...?? And what is differnet between the a compact and normal size gun other than "size"..??
    http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=8&productid=119

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=8&productid=87

16. Oct 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    this argument kills me every time i hear it.

sandman, read this

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

there is a reason taht Glock is one of the most popular handguns in teh world. the reliability is unparalleled. i have a model 23 and told myself i wasn't gonna clean it until it jammed. after hundreds, (possibly 1000) rounds i just felt bad and ended up cleaning it. but it has never once jammed on me

17. Oct 21, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Can't go wrong with a Mossberg or Remington for the $.

18. Oct 21, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    i had a hard time choosing between the two. for me the clincher was the fact that the mossberg beat out remington for the LEO and military contracts. but honestly they are prolly both about equal

19. Oct 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    That's because the Mossberg is $cheaper$. The Remington is built just a little tougher but it's a bit more money. This is coming from a guy who has two Mossbergs and no Remingtons.

20. Oct 21, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    i'll have to take your word for it since i also, do not have a remington. i also read that safety placement and the shell feed had something to do with it but i'm not sure how accurate that statement is

Products Discussed in

To Top