1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil & Coolant Leak - 2TR-FE insight needed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LeicaTacoma, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Mar 31, 2015 at 10:41 PM
    LeicaTacoma

LeicaTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NW Portland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    1. LCE Header 2. K&N CAI
    Hey all I just got done installing LCE headers and K&N on my 05 Tacoma 2TR-FE. Loving these two upgrades, especially diving up the hills - noticeable change in engine's sound level when you stomp on it. Unfortunately while installing upgrades I came across two leak issues that need some quick attention but seeking some insight from experienced members....

1. An oil leak that is slow and the build up in pictures is an accumulation over last 3-4k miles. I'm going to clean the area up but any key areas to keep an eye on? Possible component/gasket suspects? No signs of oil mist - issue is appears seepage on front and side of engine block (closest to oil filter) - belt in front looks OK.

2. A coolant leak which I suspect is from the thermostat gasket? Anyone encounter this?- dried coolant from attach point bolts and dried coolant all the bottom of engine. I have the repair manual via link however any insight on if this is pretty easy? any special tools?

If I'm draining the system to get the job done should I take into consideration any other general maintenance?

Thanks a bunch for any info you may have to share.

OilIssue1.jpg
    Oil_issue2.jpg
    CoolantIssue.jpg

2. Apr 1, 2015 at 3:49 AM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    timing cover and water pump are both leaking.
    the water pump is kinda common

3. Apr 1, 2015 at 4:04 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Well, the dealership tried to reseal my timing cover 3 times on the 05 AC when it had oil leak in same place as OP's and it ended up being the head gasket. Haven't had any coolant issues on 05 or 08 (knocks on wood) Can't see origin so can't speak to cause but if it appears to be from thermostat housing then I would be replacing the thermostat and housing gasket/o ring.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  4. Apr 1, 2015 at 1:35 PM
    LeicaTacoma

LeicaTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NW Portland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    1. LCE Header 2. K&N CAI
    Thank you both for your quick responses - much appreciated.

Looking at the repair manual - pretty much a bigger job, have you done this repair? I'll search for posts on this though it may be out of my reach...

I'll look into the head gasket assembly - I attached another picture and with future inspection it looks like its part of the Thermostat system but not exactly the thermostat itself - gasket failure but where does this flex hose run too? recirculate coolant back to engine block?

Cheers - Mike

Coolant.jpg

5. Apr 1, 2015 at 2:26 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    By flex hose you mean the one that sumitomo on it? It looks like hose by the name but almost like wiring in a sheath by the white clip closer to thermostat housing. I would replace thermostat housing gasket or the rubber o-ring that goes around outside edge of thermostat itself if that is how it seals. Haven't had mine apart. Then see what if any coolant leak there is. Much less of a fix than the oil leak. Mine looked like it was leaking right where the timing cover/head/block all meet up but it was actually head gasket somehow and it was not losing any coolant from head gasket being bad. That pic doesn't scream water pump problem to me tho, just housing bolts loose and/or gasket/seal issue on the t-stat then running down to whatever is below.

6. Apr 1, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    i work at the dealer so its not too bad to do but i wouldnt do it at home unless your mechanically inclined

7. Apr 1, 2015 at 7:52 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    From your picture that doesn't look like the Thermostat housing ( the hose is too small and pointed in the wrong direction ). That is the #1 Water Bypass Pipe. Does the hose go towards the rear of the engine? If so that is the #1 Water Bypass Pipe. This is a known trouble spot and has to be replaced as a unit. The new design I think is solid piece metal instead of thermoplastic. Some have replaced it without removing the intake manifold as the procedure calls for. That is pressed together, you cannot just clamp it as it is hard plastic. When you get a replacement make sure they give you the new all metal one piece units.

[​IMG]

See these threads:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/338307-what-leak-3.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/358023-fluids-all-over-place.html

The Thermostat is the Larger hose coming straight at the camera, which appears to be clean.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  8. Apr 2, 2015 at 3:13 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Hmmmm, I see what you're saying and agree it is not t-stat housing. I may just go get one of these and do this upgrade when I do my intake manifold spacer install even tho it isn't actually leaking..........yet. Got a part number on that piece?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  9. Apr 2, 2015 at 9:54 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    No part number... I'll see what I can find.

I haven't been able to locate a new part number, but it should be all steel one piece and you will also need the new style gasket for the flange.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  10. Apr 3, 2015 at 3:18 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Thanks for the intel - missed those other threads chasing other stuff I guess......

11. Apr 4, 2015 at 10:23 AM
    LeicaTacoma

LeicaTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NW Portland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    1. LCE Header 2. K&N CAI
    Jimmy thanks for sharing this information - I'll take a look at the threads. For now i've cleaned up the oil and the leak residue, serviced my radiator and will keep an eye to determine the rate its leaking and fix from there.

Judging from the new part it looks like Toyota solved a big issue for engines as thats a big change from whats in my truck. Looks solid - pricey at the dealership?

Cheers,

Mike

12. Apr 6, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Not sure about the price as my 2012 comes with this new pipe already installed...

Products Discussed in

To Top