1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Body lift help, 1" pucks, need bolt sizes.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by navin, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Mar 28, 2015 at 1:41 PM
    navin

navin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm putting together a 1" body lift for my lil Prerunner copy 5 lugger. I have experience with body lifts on several trucks and jeeps so not worried about any problems with 1" for my uses.

I am waiting for a dozen 1" tall x 2" diameter pucks from Summit Rscing and would like to get the longer bolts in hand before threy arrive.

I'm looking for the lengths I'll need. I've read for the cab, grade five 7/16" bolts in 2-3/8 and 4-1/2" are needed with nuts and washers. Confirmation?

For the bed I've read two of the cab bolts will work on the short pair and the other four will be long enough for a 1" lift. True?

Anyone done this job and have the actual sizes in metric 8.8 for all of it or the correct t55 head bolt for the two in the bed to match the other four? 12mm bolts all around?

Thanks and I'll post up what I find if it comes to taking them out and going shopping halfway thru the job.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Mar 28, 2015 at 2:11 PM
    navin

Member:
  3. Mar 30, 2015 at 7:55 PM
    navin

Member:
    So far I've gotten four of the six regular cab bolts. 7/16" X 6" with a nut that has a serrated washer blended into it. Grade 5.

The rear pair had a fixed tab locking washer that fits into locking arms on the cab. I pressed them off and welded them to the new bolts.

The center pair have a flat pressed on washer. This was pressed off and the new bolt runs thru it, no welding required.

The rear cab bolts should be the right length to replace one pair of bed bolts that aren't long enough for a 1" spacer lift.

I also picked up a longer 10m X30mm bolt for the fuel filler tube and will fashion a 1" spacer from nylon or stacked steel nuts.

Tomorrow I'll try to get the correct front cab bolts.

4. Apr 1, 2015 at 5:08 AM
    navin

Member:
    I didn't expect to pin the "not give a shat" meter but I guess I did? :eek:

Lol!

So, I pulled the last front cab mount bolts....... 7/16 x 6" should do the job there too. I Will try to get this done in a few days and be back to confirm all the hardware did the job.

Again, I ground down the flutes on these bolts and drilled out the washers so I can reuse the stock washers on the new hardware. It fits the bushing/mounts and is much thicker than the common stuff on the local shelf.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  5. Apr 1, 2015 at 5:10 AM
    navin

Member:
    These are the Summit Racing universal 1" x 2" body lift blocks. I used a set of these in my JK. Jeep that has been wheeled pretty severely the last 7 years with no issues. Typical black plastic composite type stuff.

image.jpg

6. Apr 1, 2015 at 10:33 AM
    navin

Member:
    T-55 Torx but on a 3/8" ratchet with a cheater bar spun all 6 bed bolts easily. Snugged them back down till the weekend. Truck is a year old and I've read they would need an impact gun to spin them.

This is looking to be an easier job than expected. :D

7. Apr 3, 2015 at 7:20 PM
    navin

Member:
    Might as well finish this I guess?

I only ran into a problem at the front cab bolts. 7/16" was too thick. I managed to reuse the stock bolts by removing the bottom of the rubber bushing and the sleeve, then adding a large flat washer above the nut. I'll replace these with a 3/8" x 6" bolt and put the bushing and sleeve back in place.

Edit, got the 3/8x6" bolts and nuts, the full bushing is again in use in the front cab mount.

The steering shaft joint needed a touch with the drill to clearance for the clamping bolt on the lower shaft. The flat on the shaft just missed and the bolt couldn't get thru clean. If you need a fraction of an inch, loosen the clamp on the shaft at the steering rack. Give it a wiggle and you can cheat a mm or two here. That gave me enough shaft above in the clamp sleeve to get good coverage snd let the bolt pass thru clean.

The mid cab bolts were used in the rear most bed mount holes.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top