1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prospective buyer looking for advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DC932, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Apr 1, 2015 at 5:41 AM
    DC932

DC932 [OP] Member

Member:
    My first post!

So here’s my dilemma…In Canada, for the 2015 model year, I have two choices for double cab Tacomas.

1- Short bed, manual transmission;

2- Longbed, automatic transmission.

I have two kids still in car seats, so the double cab is the only cab option I will consider. I’m not really the adventurous type…I don’t own dirt bikes or an ATV.

I do want a truck becauseI like to do all my own stuff around the house and it’s nice to be able to getcar parts for my restoration project (69 Charger). Taking the car seats out of our small SUV to get bigger stuff in is a PITA and I’ve already damaged the headliner once trying to get something in. I’ve had toborrow a friend’s truck a few times, and would love to have my own. A mid-size is the biggest I want to go, and I prefer the Tacoma over the new Colorado.

I live in the suburbs, and only really bring my own vehicle downtown a few times per month (we have anamazing transit system that I use frequently to get downtown).

I’ve driven a manual all my life, but I’m not sure I want something the size of a truck in a manual. Would it seem cumbersome? I think I like the SB (only available in manual) for looks, but I’m worried I’ll have wanted the LB (automatic only) for the space on thefew occasions I’ll use the bed. Maybe a bed extender is my best option? But,what if I go auto and start missing a manual trans? Will I have a problem selling the manual when I want to change?

These are all a bunch ofquestions that are going through my mind. I’m just venting and looking for some feedback from experienced taco owners.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  2. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:14 AM
    TwoTacos

TwoTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Winnipeg, MB.
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD DCLB Sport
    3" Leveling Kit with AAL, 5160/6112 Billsteins, LED Bed and under hood Lighting, backflip F1 tonneau cover, TRS HID Headlights, Homemade Satoshi Grill, heated seats, cluster and dash white LEDS, TPMS disable switch, ABS/VSC disable switch, fog light anytime mod, Backup Camera On anytime mod, Power locking tailgate, blue LED floor lighting c/w dimmer, tinted windows, aftermarket Nav/Audio with built in sub, aftermarket homelink.
    Get the long bed, AT. The extra foot comes in handy and looks better in my opinion. You'll probably find more long beds for sale than short beds up here as well. The automatic transmission is a stronger transmission than the manual as you will see by reading posts on here. As you said, the resale of an AT is preferred by most people.

3. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:15 AM
    VandalTaco

VandalTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Moscow/Idaho falls, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB TRD SPORT
    OME 887 lift, 16" XD addicts, 285 duratracs, leather seats, badass JL/Focal stereo
    This decision is going to take some soul searching. I went from manual all my life to auto with my taco and I gotta say, it is nice. Manual was fun, and there are times when I would like to have more control, but the auto is great especially for in town driving.

I have the double cab short bed which looks way better than DCLBs in my opinion, and will fit better in the garage. If you haul a lot of stuff around then it makes sense to go with the long bed. I am a college student so I move a lot but I don't think the extra length would really make too much of a difference. If I really need the space I just leave the tailgate down and strap everything in. If I worked construction or something like that the LB would definitely be the route I'd take, but I only haul stuff maybe 10-20 times a year. The lack of space is worth it for the look in my opinion.

good luck

4. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:16 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    There's never been a single time that I couldn't fit what I wanted into the bed of my DCSB with a bed extender.

If your wife is ok with a manual, go for it.

5. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:21 AM
    DC932

DC932 [OP] Member

Member:
    My wife can drive a manual, so she's not too concerned if I get one. The more I think about it, with a bed extender, I'd probably be ok because it would basically make up for the lost room, but only when I need it.

But do I want a manual??? I won't be towing much.

6. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:24 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Automatic > Manual. No way around that, check what others are saying about their manual, its nothing special and come resale time they are harder to unload.

Shortbed Vs Longbed. All personal preference. Dont listen to the guys who say that the LB is harder to park or manuever vs SB, because that is crazy talk. If you are a garage guy, then maybe the LB wont fit.

I prefer the look of the longbed, while others like the look of the shortbed. The look of a 5ft bed reminds me of the proportions of the Honda ridgeline/ old ford explorer pickup and I despise the look of those trucks. I would feel a bit weird if I had to put a bedextender on my truck in order to carry something upwards of 6ft, but that is just me. The extra foot makes a difference.

7. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:36 AM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    Personally, I would never have a manual in a truck.

I get my 6 speed fun with this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:51 AM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:

What kind of garages do you guys have that a DCLB won't fit inside? Serious question here, my 05 DC Tundra and dad's 2005 CCSB Sierra 2500HD fit into my garage with door closed and its a standard 1978 1 story house AND I have a 3 foot deep cabinet at the front. Is height the issue? I modded my house for a taller garage door in about an hour, that's not a big deal in most cases.

Anyway, I drove my old 2005 DC Tundra around Seattle with ease and my dad lives in Seattle and uses his truck easily. Anybody that says that a DCLB Tacoma is too big or difficult to drive shouldn't have a drivers license.

btw, I had a 2006 DCSB Tacoma too, and I felt limited with bed space quite often. Get the long bed.

9. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:55 AM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    It's not too big for me to be ABLE to drive it, but it's too damn long for me to WANT to drive it.

The DCSB has never let me down.

10. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:57 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Not accustomed to working with big things huh, jk

11. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:58 AM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    This^^ x2

12. Apr 1, 2015 at 8:58 AM
    MTopp

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    :luvya:

13. Apr 1, 2015 at 9:05 AM
    DC932

DC932 [OP] Member

Member:
    I was looking at the dimension of the DCLB and a SB full size...there's less then a foot in length difference, but the capabilities are less (not that I need more then the Tacoma can handle) and the fuel consumption is not much better either.

I guess the point of me getting a mid size was to have a smaller truck, which the SB (at 208 inches long) seems, in my mind, to be just that.

I still dunno:frusty:

14. Apr 1, 2015 at 9:11 AM
    MTopp

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    Tough call it is.

15. Apr 1, 2015 at 9:16 AM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    Why don't they offer an auto in the short bed?

16. Apr 1, 2015 at 9:17 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

DCLB FTMFW

17. Apr 1, 2015 at 9:18 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Same reason they don't offer the DC TRD Offroad

18. Apr 1, 2015 at 9:32 AM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    Why, why??:confused:

19. Apr 1, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    The real question, can we see some pics of the Charger?

20. Apr 1, 2015 at 9:45 AM
    teamcurtis

teamcurtis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 Super white
    285/75/16, snugtop xtravision, pop-lock
    ^ truth

Products Discussed in