1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I get a 2nd set of eyes on muffler choice?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by nateflanigan, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Apr 5, 2015 at 10:29 AM
    nateflanigan

nateflanigan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD
    Hello, brand new to the forum and not very experienced at all with automotive repair in general. I'm a carpenter and I build and repair guitar amps, so I own tools and have lots of experience using them.

Truck in question is a 2001, Tacoma, 6 cyl, TRD 4x4

I need to replace my muffler and my 2nd catalytic converter. I had the 1st one replaced last fall for state emissions inspection. Since the bolts holding the two sections together are still pretty new and the 2nd cat and muffler are pretty easy accessed I'm thinking this is something I can do myself. What I could really use help with is a second set of eyes on the parts I'm planning on ordering, just to make sure they're correct. Also, if there's any gaskets, or brackets I'll need I'd like to have all that on hand once I get started.

So for the muffler...
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Toyota/Tacoma/Ansa/Muffler/2001/ANSATY34817.html?loc=Rear

at the bottom of the page it says it's for 2001 4 cyl models, but none of the mufflers I looked at specified 6 cyl. So, if someone could clarify that it'd be very helpful.

And the cat..
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...rchType=global&shopId=1&searchType=global&N=0

Under the models, it does specify 6 cyl engine but only says pre-runner. I don't think mine is a pre-runner. Not even sure what that is.

How do those parts look? Anything I can do to help clarify what parts would be right for me?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  2. Apr 5, 2015 at 10:34 AM
    nateflanigan

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD
    Ok, so just learned what a pre-runner is. I don't have one of those

3. Apr 5, 2015 at 9:26 PM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    Consider a Magnaflow muffler, much cheaper and sounds great.
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/Performa...er.aspx?t_c=74&t_s=49&t_pt=3362&t_pn=M/F14263
    I put this one on mine a couple months back. There is a difference in pipe size, a good muffler shop or auto parts store can help with the reducers needed. I did a small write up in my build.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...etts-average-build-thread-17.html#post9864099

As far as 4 cyl vs 6 cyl, there shouldn't be a difference for the muffler.
    I know nothing about the cats.

4. Apr 6, 2015 at 4:15 AM
    nateflanigan

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD
    Thanks BDN, those pics are helpful. That's what I'm hoping not to get involved in, I'm looking to find a part that's a drop in replacement. Meaning something that has all the piping, flanges, and hangers pre assembled. But you make it look pretty easy.

Products Discussed in

To Top