1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camping and Backpacking GEAR thread

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by T4RFTMFW, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Apr 6, 2015 at 2:03 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Yeah I have a pair of tevas that work great in streams and my toes have been fine so far. We had to wear some sort of shoe during water crossings in australia so we wouldn't step on stone fish. There were a few water crossings we had to do while backpacking and they worked great!
    I also had a surprise 3-mile hike to a campground once and I didn't have any better footwear so I used my tevas for that, too. Got some little blisters below my ankle bones but otherwise was fine.
    The only problem with mine is that they're heavy. They're pretty old, though, so I'm guessing they've improved the weight or they have different models that are lighter.

FWIW, I've seen tons of people use chacos, too, but I didn't like that they weren't adjustable. I'll probably stick with teva for my next pair.

2. Apr 6, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    Dangerdave

Dangerdave Official TW jeep representative

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    I log my tevas.

Chacon, while I've got friends that have had the same pair for years and swear by them, I had the opposite experience. I had a pair for two months. The sole delaminated from the sandal. I was in the backcountry so I gorillaglued them back together. About a week later they fell apart again. I contacted Chaco and they refused to replace them since I glued them back together. Didn't care I was in the woods.

3. Apr 6, 2015 at 9:03 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Yesssss just found out there's a "download maps" menu option in Maverick, where you can select tiles and the different zoom levels to download and it'll do it automatically. I think that's how most downloadable map apps work, but maverick has the extra ability to automatically save any maps that you view instead of having to go through the download steps.

4. Apr 6, 2015 at 9:12 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
  5. Apr 7, 2015 at 8:36 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Not long distance or grueling terrain, no, but I've done a couple of miles at a time around the perimeters of ponds while I was fishing. More wandering than hiking, but they've held up fine for that. I think I've had them for 4 years now and they're still in decent shape, but I also probably haven't worn them more than 10 times for any kind of distance walking.

I wouldn't want to hike Mt. Katahdin with them because they're somewhat lacking in ankle support, but so far they work fine for shoreline work. Comfortable, and they dry fairly quickly.

Edit: One thing to keep in mind is that they seem to run small (at least mine did). I wear a size 9 shoe normally and I think my Gallatins are 10.5's or 11's. So definitely try them on at a store first if you're planning to order them online!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  6. Apr 7, 2015 at 10:09 AM
    chowwwww

chowwwww Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Billys 5100/Eibach and Wheelers Progressive 1.5 AAL with overload in
    Thanks for the info! Ill prob go try some on at REI if they have them there.

7. Apr 7, 2015 at 10:23 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    You must have had the heavy fancy ones. Just get the simple foam soled ones with adjustable straps for $20. They weigh only a few ounces total, and there's no separate sole to come unglued. Very basic model, and not all of the stores have the originals. Any Tevas with tread glued onto them are too heavy to pack in, IMO.

8. Apr 7, 2015 at 5:13 PM
    Adventurer_Alex

Adventurer_Alex Generic mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    I have a set of those I bought before my trip to the Grand Canyon. They are awesome unless you have to walk a long distance. After 3 days the straps hurt, probably because of the sand getting between them and my skin.

Just for crossing streams or if you're going to wear shoes most of the time they're awesome. If you want to wear them as your main footwear id buy some that are a little nicer/wont rub so much

9. Apr 7, 2015 at 6:55 PM
    Dangerdave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    Yea they were heavy but I was just giving them a try.. Too bad they failed miserably

10. Apr 7, 2015 at 7:33 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been happy with VFFs for lightweight footwear, work well for water crossings also but depending on what's beneath the water it can be a little uncomfortable.

11. Apr 8, 2015 at 10:20 AM
    chowwwww

chowwwww Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Billys 5100/Eibach and Wheelers Progressive 1.5 AAL with overload in
    My GF uses VFFs as water shoes and short hikes around camp. I was looking at those but they seem to not have much cushion.

How does everyone feel about Trekking Poles? I never used them before and was thinking of buying a pair to use on my 4 day trek up Macchu Picchu.

12. Apr 8, 2015 at 10:31 AM
    mjcruiser

mjcruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's Toytec Springs OME Dakars Raceline R6 Wheels
    I just picked up a pair of Keen Newport H2's and loved them. I just did a 10 mile hike in them over the weekend with about 6 water crossings and they were comfortable the whole time. They dry out really fast, don't retain water, lightweight and comfy.

My biggest concerns when looking for hiking sandals were toe protection, good wet traction, and comfort. This sandal gets 5 stars in all categories. Great padding on the straps so there's no blisters with this sandal.

13. Apr 8, 2015 at 10:41 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I definitely wouldn't want to put any miles on them, only unless it was absolutely necessary to heal a big blister or something. They're strictly my water crossing and foot relief sandals.

14. Apr 8, 2015 at 10:44 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I have friends who laugh at me for using trekking poles, but I don't care because they're damn useful. Not only do they give your body a 30% break from your pack weight, but they ensure you have more than 2 points of contact on the ground at all times. I'm much more stable with trekking poles on sketchy parts of trails and also in windy conditions. Crossing a pass above the treeline with 60mph winds and a full pack is so much easier with poles.

I'd say overall, with a heavy pack load and a long distance to travel over uneven terrain, they are worth their weight in gold.

15. Apr 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM
    4WDTrout

4WDTrout Perpetually dreaming of tall trees & rivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    Interesting. I've seen others using poles but have yet to try them myself...
    Maybe I'll give them a shot

FFTacoma likes this.
  16. Apr 8, 2015 at 11:42 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Even just having one pole is a big help. You'll get better pack balance and less fatigue by using 2 poles though. Nothing sucks more than boulder hopping with a 40+ lb pack on your back and losing your balance. Trekking poles take that out of the equation. Steep downhills are much easier with a heavy load when using poles, too. Flat ground? I don't bother bringing them. They're a lifesaver in the snow, especially if you are in terrain where a leg could punch through the snow and really injure you. I use a trekking pole to probe ahead.

17. Apr 8, 2015 at 7:20 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    I used 1 in snow when I hiked Bryce through shin deep snow. It was a life saver. It was a cheap one too. I am currently looking into getting a good set soon.

18. Apr 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    No cushion. ;)

You learn to step softly.

19. Apr 9, 2015 at 4:14 AM
    Dangerdave

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    Yep, no cushion. You'll learn to walk gently lol

I love my five fingers though. Only downside for me is if the ground is even remotely damp your feet will be wet..

20. May 12, 2015 at 2:46 PM
    Cannonball

Cannonball Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 diesel / 1979 Jeep CJ-5
    Anyone have any experience or thoughts on Yukon Outfitters hammocks? I just ordered one of their mosquito hammocks for $34. Thx!

Products Discussed in

To Top