1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP! Steering Rack replacement.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dkellogg3, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Apr 13, 2015 at 9:53 AM
    dkellogg3

dkellogg3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Hello all!

First post, and I'm jumping in... have done my fair share of anonymous lurking...

Went to replace my steering rack this weekend, and found a number of issues that need to get addresses, but ran into two main problems.

1) detaching hoses... Man, I spent a While working on that. Had a cheap Duralast flare nut wrench almost round off the nuts, so I went to Sears and picked up a set of craftsman wrenches that have MUCH more bearing area on the corners. However, I then ran into the problem that the angle at which the jaws sit do not allow me to get it on the nuts. So I decided the only way I'll be able to do it is to unbolt the hoses from the body and the pump and pull the whole thing out.

2) middle mounting point... there's a small knob on the bottom of my transmission that wont' allow me to get my ratchet and socket to the top of this support. Anyone have SPECIFIC recommendations on what they used to get this out out? Is there some sort of low-profile 1/2" ratchet (that could take the used of pipe on the end of it) that will get in there? Maybe my sockets are too long? How long is yours?

TIA.
    Don

2. Apr 13, 2015 at 10:58 AM
    CD20H

CD20H Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab TRD 4x4 Limited
    Magnuson Kompressor, OME lift kit, JBA Headers, junky Sony radio.
    I am not sure of what you are talking about, but usually if a socket and ratchet won't work.........a ratcheting wrench will. images_ca2a737c58cf724844c552dd1c97907fd2d3660d.jpg

3. Apr 13, 2015 at 11:23 AM
    wcp0611

wcp0611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Rockvale, TN
    Vehicle:
    wcp0611@gmail.com
    Grey wire and keyless entry. I like stock.
    It has to be a flare wrench.

4. Apr 13, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    chowwwww

chowwwww Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Billys 5100/Eibach and Wheelers Progressive 1.5 AAL with overload in
    I was able to get my hose off at the steering rack using a regular open end wrench. I unbolted all the bolts on the rack first, then pulled the rack out a bit and it gave me enough room to be able to slide the wrench in there perfectly.

For the top bolt of the rack, I used a short socket and a breaker bar. Ratchets are thick and dont fit well. I was able to use a 3/8 breaker bar and the floor jack pipe.

5. Apr 13, 2015 at 1:02 PM
    dkellogg3

dkellogg3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Chowwwww (is that the right number of w's?).

I was thinking that might do the trick for the hoses, but was prepared to have to pull it all the way out. Did you disconnect the hoses from the frame, or was there enough slack without doing that?

I'm using a 1/2" drive ratchet , which is wider but shorter than my 1/2" dive breaker bar. Will have to stop at my HD and see what they have. That was a 19mm, right? Nut on bottom is welded to cross member?

Thanks guys.

6. Apr 13, 2015 at 6:56 PM
    trx125

trx125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I installed mne several months ago, I had to remove the sway bar completely, then I disconnected the TRE's. Unbolt the front SR bolt and the side clamp bolts this will allow enough room to rotate the rack down and out and to access the lines easier. I used a wrench and a small hammer to lightly tap on the wrench to loosen the lines. reinstall in reverse order. Refill with new power steering fluid and bleed out the air in the lines. Should take approx. 2 hrs, depending on the number of beers it takes to quit cursing and throwing tools to get the lines off.

7. Apr 13, 2015 at 7:22 PM
    chowwwww

chowwwww Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Billys 5100/Eibach and Wheelers Progressive 1.5 AAL with overload in
    I just unbolt all 3 bolts and slid it back and it was enough room. Didn't have to disconnect it from the frame.

I can't remember the exact size of bolt on top but 19mm does sound right.

Products Discussed in

To Top