1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Improvement Today?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Hotdog, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Apr 9, 2015 at 3:14 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    Go with the removable panel idea. We have always done this at any house we added a fence to and they always work much better than a double gate or extra wide gate. There are plastic tubes you cast into the ground that accepts the post.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. Apr 9, 2015 at 4:19 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    I could use some advice as to if adding more insulation would be worth while or not.

All the exterior walls are insulated. The interior ones are not. The attic has blown insulation only over the living spaces and it is probably 6-8" deep with the edges being less. I have some overhangs in the attic as well and over the garage has no insulation at all.

So I guess I have two questions

1) Would it be worth adding some more blown in insulation on the over hangs in the attic? To "thicken" up the edges around the living spaces.

2) The garage is kind of where I want to focus so I can actually work there in the winter. It doesn't get super cold (id say 40-45 in the winter) but figured it would help to try to have it warmer since the water heater and furnace are in the garage too. So right now the attic over the garage has zero insulation. It would be easy to blow in ~6-8". There is also one exterior wall with no insulation and then the actual garage door wall has none. Would cutting a hole at the top through the drywall and blowing it in from the top work? Im thinking no since aren't there horizontal piece (fire breaks or fire blocking?) But if it might help it would be easy enough to cut a strip off the top of the drywall then blow it in. I could pull the drywall but that seems more work then id really like to do.

Anyways...thoughts? Worth doing or just a total waste? Id more or less only do item 1 if I actually did item 2 so It would only be an extra 2/3 bags. I'd also use the recycled paper insulation for like ~10 bucks a bag

I know the insulation itself wont make the garage 60 degrees or anything but figured it might help. Plus last winter when I used a kerosene heater it only got about 10 degrees warm and then cooled off pretty dang quick.

3. Apr 9, 2015 at 4:55 PM
    joshua721

joshua721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 f150 xlt v6
    Insulating the garage will help. The door will be your biggests heat loss/ gain.

The attic, depending how your roof is vented more insulation in the could creat issues with airflow.

4. Apr 9, 2015 at 4:57 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Add baffles if you have vented soffits before adding insulation

5. Apr 9, 2015 at 5:06 PM
    velillen

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    Yeah I know on the door. I know they make board that can be attached which is probably the route I would go for that.

As for the attic I would be adding insulation over previously uninsulated sections I wouldn't think it would effect airflow

Do you have a picture of what you mean (on the baffles i know the soffit part lol) Google pictures wasn't totally clear.

I might have to wait till I get home and just take pictures to help show everything

6. Apr 9, 2015 at 5:10 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Like this

[​IMG]

7. Apr 9, 2015 at 6:56 PM
    velillen

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    Thanks guys. I thought that was what you meant by baffle but saw a coupe other pics so wanted to double check.

I am positive the two walls (one full wall and the garage door wall) have no insulation. Ive run some cabling through the wall.

As for the all or nothing....i kind of figured that. I guess it just comes down to how much i actually want to spend. I dont plan to live here to much long (well still 5 years or so) Right now im leaning otwards its more of a comfort want that isnt really needed.

Im thinking i could do it all for around 1k but probably more like 1.5k Not sure if its really worth it

8. Apr 9, 2015 at 7:33 PM
    velillen

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4

Im not to worried on the utility portion. Im already cheap there! Plus its only the hot water heater and the furnace both of which are natural gas so its cheap to run. Plus im not afraid to wear a sweater in the winter so dont have to have it 75 lol.

I dont do all that much work. Thankfully i have an office/work bench indoors already (well its my reloading bench but ive done plenty of other stuff on it!). For the amount i do work in the garage a small heater would probably work just fine. Being in Washington our summers usually arent to hot either so AC is even really being considered.

The painting thing is a good point. But i could just build a "hot box" sort fo deal if i really needed. Smaller stuff ive just painted on my indoor work bench too.

Im not to worried about the resale right now. I already have a good idea that ill be able to sell for more than i paid. Course that could change but right now i dont really feel it would add that much value or be that big of a selling point.

I feel like im talking myself out of it already lol. Just have to weigh all my options and see if its worth tackling vs a couple other projects i have in my mind to do

9. Apr 15, 2015 at 5:32 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    turned out looking great, OZ! ...lots of detail work there!

10. Apr 15, 2015 at 5:33 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man

11. Apr 15, 2015 at 6:46 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Old School square pattern. A lot nicer than the a square on a diagonal, diamond pattern. Nice job.

12. Apr 20, 2015 at 9:44 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    The most recent pic-

[​IMG]

Still some little stuff to finish up but mostly just need to clean up the messes I've made all over the house.

13. Apr 20, 2015 at 5:32 PM
    joshua721

joshua721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 f150 xlt v6
    Looks good. Did you tile the ceiling too?

14. Apr 21, 2015 at 10:48 AM
    J88logue

J88logue NorthWest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    HWY 30
    Vehicle:
    02 D.C. TRD
    Clicko BUILDo
    Where should i put my garage sink/Wash area??

Shop is a 36x36. Currently middle lane is open and i would like to add a door for the right side and keep that fully open. The left side (Middle) has a hay loft so i render that area sink worthy. The green lines represent doors. Blue line represents where i will run the water line. Brown squares are 6x6 supports. I made a few blue squares showing possible sink placement. In the 12x12 where sink 2 & 3 are located, that area is where the motorcycles will also be parked. That wall currently has tool chests and oil stands.

[​IMG]

15. Apr 21, 2015 at 12:32 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    I would put the sink closer to a door so that if I am carrying containrers for water outside (washing or whatever) I don't have far to go. Heavy, and spilling... Also, washing hands would be the the last thing you do before you close up shop. Put the urinal next to it. :)

I assume you'll also have a hosebib right outside the wall where the supply goes in to the sink. This will put your hose closer to the driveway, too.

16. Apr 21, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    J88logue

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    HWY 30
    Vehicle:
    02 D.C. TRD
    Clicko BUILDo
    Well it can't go by the door. As you can see the door is all the way on the bottom right which leads out to the concrete slab. If i put the sink by the door, then i risk not being able to pull a wide vehicle/trailer in that section without hitting the sink etc. There is currently not a door on the right 12' section, but if i decide to put one there one day i want to keep my options open.

17. Apr 21, 2015 at 12:54 PM
    J88logue

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    HWY 30
    Vehicle:
    02 D.C. TRD
    Clicko BUILDo
    Water will be run underground/under the side wall and through the concrete. Grey water will run next to the clean water under/out of the building. I will have a small hot water heater under the sink for ondemand hot water in the shop.

18. Apr 21, 2015 at 1:13 PM
    J88logue

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    HWY 30
    Vehicle:
    02 D.C. TRD
    Clicko BUILDo
    Most likely not - but i can insulate the pipe coming out of the concrete. And where i live it rarely freezes anyways. That's not really a concern i have.

19. Apr 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Yeah, I saw that. More specifically, I was eyeballing option 1, assuming you might have a rollup door in that bay now or later, and that it gives you a fairly straight shot across the door bays/behind vehicles to the human door (is that what we call them?). Regardless, it puts you as close as possible to the middle rollup now.

20. Apr 21, 2015 at 1:25 PM
    J88logue

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    HWY 30
    Vehicle:
    02 D.C. TRD
    Clicko BUILDo
    makes sense - :)

Products Discussed in