1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting sliders / lightbar

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by jspadaro, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    So people are recommending _against_ powdercoating these? Rattle can them? I'm probably getting 4xinnovations sliders and the avid offroad light bar both come unpainted.

Rustoleum hammered will work? Do I need to wipe down the bars first with acetone or something?

Also, with the sliders, do I have to worry about painting too much of them and having it affect the weld, or can I just go nuts and paint the whole thing thoroughly, and the welder won't care if the part they're welding has some paint on it? (very little experience with welding, I am having someone else do the install of these.)

2. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    the more prep work you do the better finishd product you will have.
    I would leave the end piece unpainted so they guy can weld it to the truck easier. then just touch it up once hes done.

3. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    If you intend to use your sliders to protect your truck while off roading, then use rattle can. If you got the sliders for looks then podercoat them.

Whoever builds your sliders should provide you with painting instuctions

Yes use acetone or brake cleaner to wipe them clean. Then use rustoleum on them. Just follow the directions on the paint can. That's what I did and mine turned out very good. I used the black hammered and it matches the Toyota Magnetic gray paint on my truck.

Two very good coats should be fine. Priming ins't necessary for bare metal with the rustoleum, but I did mine anyways. Buy one can of paint for each slider.

Like Keason said leave two inches unpainted so that the welder doesn't have to burn the paint.

Here are two pics for you of when I did mine.

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

4. Oct 15, 2009 at 6:00 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    +1 on leaving the ends to be welded clean. It'll make them easier to put on and you'll have to paint the frame side of the weld/weld joint after they are done (or them may do it for you).

Powdercoat can crack/break...and if it does...It has to be stripped down and refinished. Rattle can- just spray a new coat after you use your sliders or bullbar.

5. Oct 15, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I bought mine with powdercoat on em but if I did it again, I would spay em myself... If you are using them they will need a touch up every so often anyway! I have the same policy with back doors too!

Products Discussed in

To Top