1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help:Painting my Stock Rims

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Rizzz818, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Oct 15, 2009 at 11:26 PM
    Rizzz818

Rizzz818 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Sylmar
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD OffRoad
    BHLM, Black Emblems, Black Grill,3-Inch spacers from Toytec, JBA Exhaust,
    I need some advice:

I am looking into painting my stock rims black to match my black emblems and my BHLM that i have done. Which spary paint, Brand & finish, do you guys recommend to use.. And if possible.. pictures of what your rims look like..?

2. Oct 15, 2009 at 11:31 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    I used Kraylon satin black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Oct 16, 2009 at 12:08 AM
    HBtacoma

HBtacoma SoCal Tacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Huntington Beach
    || Deep Black Custom Paint By DUPONT FINISHES w/ Custom Airbrush Artwork || RCD 4.5 Inch Lift Kit || 20x10 Black XD Monster Wheels w/ Toyo MT 33x12.5x20 Tires || SATOSHI Grill || URD TCAI || Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust || Pioneer AVIC-D3 w/ Bluetooth and Ipod || JL Audio 500/1 and 12" Kicker Sub || FJ 60 Toyota Emblem Painted Red || Black Custom Leather Interior w/graphite perforated body w/Red Double Stiching and TRD Logo || Leather Arm Rest Mod || T-REX Angry Eyelids || 20% Tinted Windows || Black Altezza Taillights || BHLM Headlights || LED Dome Light || LED Map Lights || HID 35w 6000k || Yellow Tinted Fogs || Nokya 2500k_55w Fog Lights || Painted Engine Cover || Bed Extender || Epic Indust. Bed Bar w/Fog Lamps Tinted Yellow ||
    krylon ultra-flat black from wal mart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Oct 16, 2009 at 3:43 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Primer or Adhesion promoter is a good idea. Two to Three cans of each depending how many coats you want to do and if you want to paint the entire tire (front and back)

5. Oct 16, 2009 at 3:49 AM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    There's a thread on here somewhere that takes you through step by step along with paint, just have to do a search for it.

6. Oct 16, 2009 at 3:54 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    its really not hard to do

i painted my old wheels way back before the black wheel craze really HIT...

i knew of 2 or 3 other people on the various toyota forums who had done it

i bought a quart can of rustoleum hammered black and went to town

took off all 4 wheels...cleaned them up REALLY good...

we thinned the paint just a bit to not clog up the spray gun, masked the tires and sprayed each wheel with 2 coats with some drying time between them

after drying overnight...wheels were put back on the truck

paint held up for over 3 years with no bubbling or chipping...other than rock rash...

easy to touch up too! :thumbsup:

7. Oct 17, 2009 at 2:34 PM
    6whiteboy9

6whiteboy9 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 07 TRD sport 4x4 6 Speed Manuel
    Custom True Dual Exhaust W/ X Pipe & Magnaflow Muffler coming out Sport Truck style on same side. Limo Tinted Windows all the way around. Clifford Alarm system w/ monitering & paging system. ram air intake. black headlights.
    IF YOU WANNA DO IT RIGHT...... -

1. SCUFF THE WHEELS UP WITH WHOOL (medium grit is fine) -THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT!

2. YOU DO NOT NEED TO MASK OFF YOUR TIRES, PAINT DOESNT STICK TO RUBBER SO IT'S JUST REDONKULOUS TO MASK THEM OFF

3. CLEAN WHEELS

4. PAINT WITH KRYLON "SATAN BLACK" (Light coats 3-5 min apart until desired look is achieved)

5. LIGHTLYYYY GO OVER WITH RUST OLEUM "TEXTURED BLACK" TO ADD
    A SLIGHT TEXTURE (gives the effect of powder coating)

6. WHEN DRY GO OVER THE TIRES WITH AN OIL BASED NON FOAMING COATING. THIS WILL MAKE THE TIRES SHINY & HELP LOOSEN ANY PAINT ON THE RUBBER (it will not effect the paint on the wheels)

ANY OTHER PAINT ON THE RUBBER WILL COME OFF WITHIN 5 MIN OF DRIVING IT

I ALSO PAINTED THE WHEELS WELLS, FRAME, ETC. WITH THE BLACK TO CLEAN UP THE LOOK OF THE TRUCK ITSELF

EVERYONE IS ALWAYS ASKING ME ABOUT MY "NEW" RIMS & HOW MUCH THEY WERE & WHERE I GOT THEM. THEY REALLY LOOK LIKE AFTERMARKET WHEELS!

PICTURE TAKEN 6 MONTHS AFTER THIS WAS DONE- AFTER ALL THE OFF ROADING, WASHING ETC, THERE IS NO CHIPING, FADING OR FLAKING

Copyof0619091423b-1_3f26ec31f53e9d3a5c1441e8beec2bc640b18308.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top