1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is 4x4 worth it?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sonic_boom, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Oct 23, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    sonic_boom

sonic_boom [OP] Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Looking for TACO
    For around $10k I would like to stick with 1997-2004. I don't mind the extra cab if I happend to see one with it. My whole plan with this truck is to make Home depot runs so I don't have to borrow random relative's truck. So I hope the Tacoma's bed can handle 4'X8' plywood.

I'll eventually fix up the Accord again but it's gonna take some time. I just figure since I was planning on getting a truck in the spring anyways, I'll just use the money for the accord towards a truck right now. I also have a sc300 with 1jz but I can't drive that in the snow.

2. Oct 23, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    MarcD

MarcD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Get the 4x4. There'll be a time a few months into the ownership of the 2WD that you'll regret not getting the 4x4 on a daily basis

3. Oct 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    It'll work, (Plywood) in as much as you will be getting a 6 ft bed. I would shoot for an 01-02 xtra cab if possible. Maybe in the neighborhood of 80k miles would probably be a good target, though you'll have to see what your market has available.

I would settle for the SR5 (instead of TRD) if need be as a compromise to the allow yourself the added expense of the 4WD.

I had 100,000 miles on my 2000 SR5 xtra cab and know i could have gotten another 100,000 or more had it not fell to the frame rust demons. (Buy back)

Remember, if some of the things you would expect to replace at about the 80,000 mark have not beed replaced yet, you will need to budget for that as well.

4. Oct 23, 2009 at 10:40 PM
    GA1044

GA1044 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    2002 trd 4x4
    Air Hog, Grey-Wire Mod, Fabtech Coilover 3.5 Lift, Deck Plate Mod, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Magnaflow Exhaust
    My golden phrase
    "Its better to have it and not need it, than not having it and needing it"

5. Oct 24, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    sonic_boom

sonic_boom [OP] Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Looking for TACO
    I'll keep you guys posted on what I can find. I just saw a 2002 4WD TRD w/114k for $13K, that's unreasonable! I hope I can find a quality one for a good price otherwise, I'll have to look into unknown territory (the domestics). I was warned about chevy S-10. Toyota and Honda is all I know how to fix, so I really hope I can find one. No offense to any owners but the ridgeline is not the most attractive truck in my book, so that only leaves me with Toyota. Don't get me wrong, Toyotas are the best but they come with a high price tag.

6. Oct 24, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    S-10's are total shit boxes. I have had 2 of them, a 91 Blazer 4x4 and it was not bad looking but always falling apart. And I had a 88 S-10 pickup....:puke:I was offered a 1998 S-10 a few years back on a trade for a car I had, but I kept the car.

I would rather buy a Ranger... If forced. you may have to look in other cities or even states for a good deal. I am thinking about selling mine and getting a X2cab 01-04.

7. Oct 24, 2009 at 6:24 AM
    sonic_boom

sonic_boom [OP] Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Looking for TACO
    I was thinking about a Ranger as well but the 4WD usually comes with the 4.0L and most the problems people have is that it gets anywhere from 12-18mpg highway. Otherwise the reliablity is not too bad. But they are as expensive as the F150 and the F150 gets 18-20 highway. Just like the Tacoma and Tundra. When used, the tacoma is just expensive as a tundra and the mpg is not that much better, unless it's the 4cyl.

The only problem is, my accord doesn't work too good so can't really drive it. My sc300 has wide high performance tires on with a FMIC that will rust if salt hits. Winter is coming soon. I saw snow yesterday.The wife and I are just sharing her TL. I want to take the time to find the right truck but just limited on time.

8. Oct 24, 2009 at 7:03 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    I said not much will move. A 1985 eagle was a great car!

9. Oct 24, 2009 at 7:25 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!

The huge difference in the Ranger and Tacoma is.... Quality, as you know. I have the 2.7 4cyl andthe 4 speed automatic. I get good power, I can stick my 800 pound Honda Rubicon Quad in the back and it drives like the bed is empty. I had the 99 ranger with the access cab, it was a good truck. It was the 3.0Litre, good power 19mpg highway and about 16 city. my Tacoma gets about 20-21 city, and 22-23 highway. Hauling the quad from MA to FL it got 15, and that was due to a bad O2 sensor, and the 31/10.5/15 tires were shot to hell. At the moment I have 235/75/15's on it. I am going back to 31/10.5/15 in the next couple months, that will bring my MG's down a bit too, but I lifted it and they now look like donuts!!!

The best thing about the Tacoma for me is the size. I like the 95.5 to 2004 because it has a good size in body length, width, etc. the 05+ while they sure are frickin nice, they just seem too big. Tundras are ginormous. Nice though.

My brother has a 2006 Sequoia limited. While it is a hell of a truck, he gets really shitty gas mpg's. Like 10-12 City, 13-15 Highway. I prefer a 4Runner.

I guess it's all about the $$$, and what you can afford. DO NOT buy an S-10, cheap piles of crap. I have one here where I work as a work truck, I hate that thing. Although it is a 93 with 52K on it, the rest of it is falling apart, but the engine is great.

In the long run, if you get ahold of a Tacoma, you will cannot go wrong, they run forever. And once you get one, you get addicted. It's a Tacoma thing....

10. Oct 24, 2009 at 7:33 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    This.

Also, dont waste your time with a prerunner. At that point, you may as well have gotten a 4x4.

On that note, I say get a 4x4. theyres some decent prices on regular cab 4cyl manuals on cars.com or tose kind of sites if you dont mind driving. craigslist is usually a bit more but you can negotiate.

11. Oct 24, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:

I got ya... Yeah that was one ugly ass car/thing. It was the wagon one too at that. Here is a pic of the exact car I had, colors everything. I went mudding with my friend in his CJ7, he got stuck, and I drove around him. Everyone made fun of me in that car, but it outran, and outdrove thiers.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Oct 24, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    sonic_boom

sonic_boom [OP] Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Looking for TACO
    Geez, that is one ugly car but I like ugly cars. I love the MR2 spyder because it was "ugly" (looks good to me) and no one liked it.

I don't see anypoint in getting a pre-runner. My truck of choice right now is a 4cyl 4WD taco. Although I wish toyota would build a truck like the avalanche. I really like that 8' long bed. I can't find any Toyotas in the area right now, so I'm off to look at a few 4wd F150 and silverados. Just testing to see what my choices are.

13. Oct 24, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    tacotopher

tacotopher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    Zombie TRD OR
    Grey wire mod, 5100's on all four corners, AAL in the rear, deckplate mod,
    I had a 2wd chevy silverado :(then a 2wd f150. :(then i got a wrx. i loved the awd!! (and the turbo :) ) Now i have gone all out and gotten the trd OR package. i could not imagine going back to 2wd...

14. Oct 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    4x4 FTW!!!!

Dude 4x4! Why would you want a 2wd where you know you MIGHT need it?? I have a 4x4 but that's because I know I have it when ever i feel like dicking around.:D

15. Oct 24, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    sonic_boom

sonic_boom [OP] Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Looking for TACO
    I test drove a few domestics today and looks like the 5.4L F150 is the king so far.

I found a 2003 Tacoma 4wd 4 cyl for $11,400, which I can afford but it's in chicago. How do you guys go about buying vehicle that far away? Let me know if the plan below sounds about right. I'm kinda skeptical because the seller has the upper hand. I just don't want to show up and find a pile of junk.

This is my plan so far:
    1. get all info, pictures (especially the sub frame), VIN from seller
    2. Get pre-approve for a loan.
    3. Negotiate lower price.
    4. Fly one-way to Chicago
    5. Test car and negotiate if price needs to be lower.
    6. Drive me new Tacoma home!
    7. Thank the folks at Tacomaworld.com

16. Oct 24, 2009 at 9:56 PM
    MarcD

MarcD Well-Known Member

Member:
    '03 Tacoma 4x4 4cyl > 5.4L F150
    :cool:

Marc

17. Oct 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    If I were to make my decision on which truck to buy I would buy the 4X4 in a heart beat. I like my truck and all but after having it for six months now I wish that I would have bought a either an access or a DC 4X4.

18. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:45 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    And I would go with the plan before buying that F150.... trust me, if you get the Tacoma you will NEVER regret it....:D

19. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    sonic_boom

sonic_boom [OP] Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Looking for TACO
    This is just getting really desperate! Today I test drove a 2002 B4000 87k for $6500 and 2001 Frontier 115K for $7900. The B4000 was smoother and the owner took care of it much better. The thing is they get 15-18mpg highway. Why does compact to mid-size trucks get the same mpg as full size? I'm going to try the Dakota tomorrow. I just want to make sure I give truck a fair chance since I can't find any decent Tacomas around here. When I wasn't looking to buy, there are so many tacomas.

20. Oct 25, 2009 at 10:49 PM
    Showtime250

Showtime250 Bryon

Member:
    St. Albans WV
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 2.7 4x4
    Toytec 3 inch suspension lift, Mickey T wheels, BFG MT's, weston bull bar and step bars, and aftermarket stereo
    One reason is if you get an under powered midsize the motor is working alot harder to propel the truck and using a lot more fuel. My first truck was a 3.0 ranger 4x4 with 31x 10.50 tires. Got like 12 miles a gallon and was hugely unpowered. Another factor for mpg is ur axle ratio. It all comes down to gettin what will make you happy though because at the end of the day you will be the one driving and looking at it everyday.

Products Discussed in

To Top