1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Black Head Light mod HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by eltacoloco, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Jun 13, 2008 at 6:17 AM
    eltacoloco

eltacoloco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Red TRD sport on 20"s
    20" deep six, 12k HID kit, fog light mod
    well i am really pissed because I didnt even get a chance to do my headlight mod because i had my headlights tinted 20% and i was messing to much with my nighttiime vision soo I decided that i finally grew the balls to bake my headlights soo i proceeded to remove the film and the damn glue it left behind is pretty much baked onto the headlights and wont come off for nothing i tried every thing and fiinally i tried to remove with goo gone and come to find out i can ruin plastic and i think it started to do it to mine cause now where the glue was it is turning white....does anybody know of anything that can remove all this glue and haze on my headlights to make them look crystal clear again???:confused: I am like completly freakking out at this point because I dont want to buy those stupid ebay fake JDM's I want my factory black head lights. any body with any suggestions please help!

or if anybody has any failed black headlight mod headlights where the lens's are still good i will buy them off you.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jun 13, 2008 at 6:56 AM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    GOO GONE and maybe some serious sanding/buff/polishing other than i recommend you buy new un touched headlights off ebay and start over again

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jun 13, 2008 at 7:04 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    WD-40 always worked well for me.

You could also try heating them up a tad with a hair dryer or heat gun. Don't go too crazy though, you could melt the headlights.

also try nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, cooking oil, mineral oil, baby oil. Try soaking the headlights for a few hours and then using a very fine steel wool.

4. Jun 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    There are plastic polishes out there that work really well.
    Once all the goo is gone, you will have to sand the surface, 2000 grit min until they are "smooth as glass" then polish. Just be patient and take your time.

5. Jun 13, 2008 at 11:59 AM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    try some meguiars plastx. stuff works good

6. Jun 13, 2008 at 3:40 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    +1 for WD40 also. I got some of the factory gray glue/adhesive on one of mine and WD40 and a little light rubbing and it came off. Also as has been stated you can use very fine grit sandpaper. This gets off the specks too from road wear. I got the Permatex kit that has 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500 grit SP in it. I sanded one of them and it ended up white looking and opaque instead of clear. An hour later using a mini power ball and Flitz metal polish the lens was clear again and looked like this.
    [​IMG]

WARNING: if you sand one of these use more strokes NOT more pressure. It takes time to do it right and NOT leave sandpaper gouges in them. I spent 2 hours sanding alone and removed 95% of 18K miles of road wear on them.

7. Jun 13, 2008 at 4:23 PM
    BlueSilver

BlueSilver Wave rider

Member:
    DO NOT use a sandblaster.
    Also, if your like me you will try everything and end up throwing it on the ground until it breaks into 50 pieces and end up buying a new one.

8. Jun 13, 2008 at 5:08 PM
    eltacoloco

eltacoloco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Red TRD sport on 20"s
    20" deep six, 12k HID kit, fog light mod
    Hey thanks for all the help i ended up buying one of those headlight restoration kits for advance and it did a pretty good job on them made them look brand new again except for one of them that had really bad damage from applying goof off the one that is not for plastic which i was not aware there was one for specifically for plastic and what i did was start to eat through the lens a bit soo it took a more coars grit of sandpaper and now i have sandpaper groves in the driverside soo now need to re do it then it will be perfect! So finally I will be doing my BHLM this week end and will post before and after pics for you guys....again thanks a bunch

9. Jun 17, 2008 at 2:48 AM
    only_one

only_one 08 TRD Off-Road 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue 4x4
    i have a pair i pulled off my tacoma at around 2000 miles. they are just sittin in the garage.

Products Discussed in

To Top