1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is my 4 banger worth building up to a long travel toy?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by kcbmx, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nov 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    kcbmx

kcbmx [OP] doing my thing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Bakersfield CaLiFoRnIa
    Vehicle:
    2tr-fe 4wd
    spit cup, weathertech floor mats, riffle rack, and bilsteins.
    a V6 prerunner access cab is lighter than a 4 cyl 4x4 access cab, so less weight isnt really on the 4cyl side. guess that transfer case has a bit of weight on it lol.

2. Nov 10, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    yeah but the better weight distribution will play a role.

i don't know that much about off-roading but me thinks that do a little good? :confused:

the less weight in the front should be good...and the T case should balance it out a bit...but again i don't offroad so im not sure how you guys look at weight distribution

anyway yeah a re-gear should be able to handle your tires and whatnot and the 4 banger has more than enough power...and if you want you can always get the supercharger coming out and or do a custom turbo set-up if your willing to spend the money

3. Nov 10, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    when u have a secondary bypass shock does that replace the upper control...?? this might be the dumbest question but just wondering../?

4. Nov 11, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Nope. UCAs stay where they are but you'll need a secondary shock hoop and tabs on the LCA for the shocks to mount to.

My setup is the Camburg long travel. If you want to stay mid-travel, Total Chaos has a set of aftermarket standard-width LCAs that can handle a secondary shock.

IMG_2018_2ad845fb2f58e51abfc594b2e86480a69bb567bb.jpg

5. Nov 11, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    coo... does camburg have something like that... cuz i have camburg spindle... and kinda wanna keep it the same...

6. Nov 11, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Camburg only has the long travel LCAs. To my knowledge, Total Chaos is the only company currently making stock-length aftermarket LCAs for our trucks.

[​IMG]
    You'll want to call Total Chaos before ordering as they'd know better than anyone if there are any issues running their LCAs with the Camburg spindles.

7. Nov 11, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    just wondering if u get the UCA and that LCA but not long travel kit... What difference in travel is there..?? I mean i understand the coilover and everything but the Control arms are a little confusing...?? those upgraded ones u just posted look bad ass and could be used in different applications right..??

8. Nov 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    out of curiousity...do u have more pics? like a link? lol i don't know too much bout 6 luggers das y

btw where does ur second strut mount to?

9. Nov 12, 2009 at 7:30 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    My full build is documented here:
    Top or bottom? The lower control arm has a mount for a secondary shock already built in. As for the upper, that's a custom shock hoop with custom mounting tabs.

I had to remove the power brake booster to fit everything. The timing is amusing -- I hope to have the brake system functional again with a different master cylinder this evening. :)

10. Nov 12, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Travel numbers would only increase by the amount that the uniballs allow before binding. More than anything this gives people a more stout LCA and a place to mount a second shock. I've heard that some folks have folded their stock LCAs, so in those cases these would be a perfect replacement.

11. Apr 8, 2021 at 8:38 AM
    chiconorris

chiconorris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma I4 4x4 SR5
    Stock

Products Discussed in

To Top