1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand New Truck with Paint Bubbling/Cracking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Palmetto Pete, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nov 17, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    Wrong! If you get bird crap on your paint you must wash it off immediately. What they eat can and will do damage to your paint. Definitely not to that extent, but marring and etching will occur and chances are you will not be able remove it period. A professional detailer may be able to remove some, but it is not guaranteed. I have seen what bird pooh does to a vehicle in less than 24 hrs. :eek:

2. Nov 17, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    PacoTheTacoMan

PacoTheTacoMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Weathertechs, personally fabricated tailgate lock, tint, extra D rings, Exactfit seatcovers, re-enforcing the tailgate and adding a leaf next week.
    Really? Then why has this never happened to mine? I usually wash my trucks once every other week. Bird poop or not. And I park under several trees. At any rate, this guys damage isn't from poop. I have not run across any bird poop that Mother's cleaner carnuba wax didn't get off. That's just me. Maybe you have had other experiences.

3. Nov 17, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    This the effect of bird shit on my truck that was on there for about 48 hrs...

Samurairadiator004_4327ea85974e0b659a14945c69cf66800f59750c.jpg

I put the Chapstick on there for size reference...

Samurairadiator005_d033ba734ed90ffefc6fce320d480d3d486454df.jpg

4. Nov 17, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    65tacodude

65tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra Platnium
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    Had the same happen to my 09 to the bed. Took it to the dealer and they told me to pick up my loaner so they can do the repair

5. Nov 17, 2009 at 9:55 PM
    Palmetto Pete

Palmetto Pete [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    In the Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2012 SSM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    3M Paint Pro Film, OEM Bed Mat, Antenna X, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Foglight Anytime Mod, 8000k HIDs, BFG AT/KOs (265/70/17), Debadged, Ultra-Gauge, Leer 100XR
    I just got my Taco back from the dealer tonight. They fixed the spot and it looks good. These guys here don't know how to detail a vehicle though, returned it to me looking like crap. Also had the tube steps installed while it was in for the paint. I might just make a call to Toyota and see what they say about the paint. . .

6. Nov 17, 2009 at 10:20 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I have bird crap damage just like in the photos, it was left on for about a month, then I washed it off and then noticed the damage the crap did to my paint/clearcoat.
    So just like dktaco has said, wash it off immediately!!!!! But It's funny though because the car I had before I could leave the bird crap on there for months and it would be just fine.

I also noticed that all the pics on this forum and different forums that have damage like this from bird crap are all silver streak mica.
    My truck is also silver streak mica, is there anyone that has this kind of damage but with a color other than silver?

So I wonder if It's a crappy clear coat, or the paint? But whatever it is you should still wash that crap off as fast as possible.

What do you guys think about this, could it be because of the type of color or clear coat? Or are other trucks with different colors being affected?

7. Nov 17, 2009 at 10:32 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    Bird crap etching all depends on the clear coat. I had a 95 chevy which was notorious for the paint flaking showing the primer. I repainted using high dollar PPG paint and went heavy on the clear. I fly alot and left my truck in the airport parking garage for about 3 weeks. The pigeons made a freakin mess but after washing, absolutely no shit etching. Toyota probably doesnt use anything ppg quality to save money.

That mark does not look like bird etching. Almost looks like the truck was on the bottom rack on the shipping truck, and something above dripped oil or gas on it.

8. Nov 17, 2009 at 10:45 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Best thing to do immediately on a new truck. Get a coat of wax on it. So if you get bird poo on it, it won't damage the paint.

9. Nov 17, 2009 at 10:52 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    x2

10. Nov 17, 2009 at 11:57 PM
    Palmetto Pete

Palmetto Pete [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    In the Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2012 SSM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    3M Paint Pro Film, OEM Bed Mat, Antenna X, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Foglight Anytime Mod, 8000k HIDs, BFG AT/KOs (265/70/17), Debadged, Ultra-Gauge, Leer 100XR
    I will be doing that tomorrow after I do a hand-wash!

11. Nov 18, 2009 at 5:08 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    You need to give the panels they repainted at least two weeks to cure before applying wax.

12. Nov 18, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab, TRD offroad
    Wax truck once a month with good quality carnuba wax, NOT a polish.
    You can wax a vehicle immediately after you take delivery - it is cured at factory by baking at 400 deg. for 45 minutes. ( I used to work for Honda of America Mfg. in the paint dept.) We waxed/ buffed them at the factory 1 hour after they came out of the ovens.

13. Nov 18, 2009 at 5:25 AM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    oops, yes, if its painted anywhere other than the factory then wait a few weeks for paint to cure,
    Like JDCPA said.

14. Nov 18, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    dktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    Huh? Yes, a quality carnuba or synthetic is great, but no polish? You should polish your vehicle once every couple of months. Ideally with a dual action polish, quality pad, and polish. Once completed followed by your wax/sealant/glaze.

15. Nov 18, 2009 at 6:45 AM
    dktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:

Consider yourself lucky. It depends on these major areas - the quality of clear on the vehicle, "your personal prep" to keep the paint nice, and the main variable the birds and what they eat.

16. Nov 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    The point is to keep the paint protected from the very beginning so you dont have to buff and polish and wear down topcoat layers. I have always used just straight wax with no issues, but thats just me. I'm afraid of change!

17. Nov 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    i wonder if something dripped on it during transit,brake fluid maybe?

18. Nov 18, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    dktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:

Afraid of change or afraid to try the proper method to keep your paint nice the longest? And wearing down the top coat is a misconception and flat out false. You will not wear down your trucks clear coat with polishing properly. It takes a lot to wear down the clear coat. You can wax all you want, but you aren't doing anything to keep it to it's showroom shine. Polishing takes out the etching, swirls, and marring in your paint.

19. Nov 18, 2009 at 7:26 PM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    Bird shit is hard on the paint if left for more than a few days. I found that out on a Honda that I once owned. Bird shit can be quit corrosive, depending on what the bird ate.

20. Nov 18, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    cjbs2003

cjbs2003 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
    Brand spankin' new, none yet...
    When I bought my '10, they told me the paint mixture is new for the '10. It is more resistant to chipping and scratching, but can be stained and fade much easier...

Products Discussed in

To Top