1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau cover installation question

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by prsgeetarman, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Nov 20, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    prsgeetarman

prsgeetarman [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
    Front skid plate, chrome exhaust tip, bug shield, vent visors, bed mat, ACI access limited edition roll top tonneau cover.
    I have ordered a Access Roll Up Tonneau Cover for my Tacoma. I have not received it yet and perhaps their instructions will be written for a Tacoma but if not i have a quick question.

From my understanding the deck rail caps on the bed have to come off and then be reinstalled. I have never attempted to remove those caps? Is it held on with screws or what?

Thanks in advance

2. Nov 20, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    dorkman

dorkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think they are hex bit screws if I recall from doing mine, it will come with directions, and longer replacment screws.

3. Nov 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    yeap.

4. Nov 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    2009Silver

2009Silver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    You are asking about the caps for the rails, right?

just push down on the rail caps and slide them out. I just installed my Lorado the other day.

The Larodo is the same, just sits a little lower. Took me maybe an hour, and you can do it by yourself.

5. Nov 20, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    prsgeetarman

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
    Front skid plate, chrome exhaust tip, bug shield, vent visors, bed mat, ACI access limited edition roll top tonneau cover.

Yes, that does sound simple enough. Much appreciated!

6. Nov 21, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    prsgeetarman

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
    I need some advice.

While removing the bolts that fasten the rail channel I've managed to strip the head on one of the bolts. I used a cheap T-30 driver that did not fit well and I managed to strip the head. I since went a purchased a good T-30 driver and was able to get the remainder of the of the bolts on this driver side off except the first one that where the head is stripped.

I've tried using vise grips but since it in that channel it is hard to get a grip on it.

Any ideas on how to get this one out?

IMG_3651.jpg

7. Nov 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    copernicus

copernicus Well-Known Member

Member:
    You gotta drill the head off and find a replacement bolt.

Or get an extractor.

8. Nov 21, 2009 at 1:46 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
  9. Nov 21, 2009 at 2:05 PM
    prsgeetarman

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
    I made a quick trip up to auto zone and got an extractor. It worked like a charm. thanks guys

10. Nov 21, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    vtguy

vtguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2010 Doublecab Sport
    Don't beat yourself up over using a cheap tool... my Snapon T-30 stripped 2 of them. I'm guessing your stripped one is on the driver's side? I bet the guy/gal on that side of the assembly line over tightens them!

Anyway, I took a cut-off wheel and channeled a flat cut mid-way through the bolt head... then took a very large, flat head screwdriver and carefully undid both. The advantage to a large screwdriver is that it makes contact for the whole width of the bolt head and you get leverage.

The frustrating thing about these is that the c-channel shape of the railing makes it impossible to grasp with vise-grips, channel-locks, etc.

Good luck.

11. Nov 21, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    If you need help installing it.... there are several good tips for installation on that thread.
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118926&page=12

By deck rail caps do you mean the pieces on the top of the bed sides? Those do not have to come off. Just the tie down rails - that the cleats go into, come off.

12. Nov 21, 2009 at 4:08 PM
    blendedfamily

blendedfamily Well-Known Member

Member:
    'Burque(sucks)
    A bit off topic from the install, but I just got my Lund Genesis soft top and went to install it. There is a rail piece which mounts between the bed and cab, and is the basis for mounting the cover. The bolts provided with the kit, (which were specific for the Taco), were about an inch too long. Of course, assuming that the kit was engineered for the truck, nothing was wrong. To make a long story short, the bolt nearly drove through the mounting rail for the die downs, dimpled it out about 1/8", and then snapped off. No way of backing it out because it wedged itself into the rail. So, it's time to get an extractor.

Just a heads up if you use this kit, you may need to get your own bolts....

This can't be the case for all these kits... Think it's possible that somebody dropped the wrong bolts into the baggie?

13. Nov 21, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    prsgeetarman

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
    Yes, I stripped the one of the ones on the drivers side; I've got all kinds of excuses (cheap tool, listening to football game, etc). The extractor worked well though. Although I never want to use it on a new truck again.

And yes ImpulseRed008 I wasn't thinking clearly, I see now that it was the just the tie down rails that had to come off and thanks for that toyotanation link that came in handy!

Hopefully tomorrow I will put on the Pop N Lock.

Products Discussed in

To Top