1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buzzing noise from behind glove box

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trd taco guy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Nov 21, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    trd taco guy

trd taco guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    So i took my truck to the dealership to get this issue addressed and alot of good that did. So I have this annoying buzzing/rattling noise coming from behind the glove box. I took it to the dealer and after taking to reps for rides with the noise pretty clearly happening both reps said they can't hear it. Finally got a mechanic in for a ride and he heard exactly what I was hearing (glad to hear I'm not crazy and hearing things no one else was hearin) the noise is pretty constant around 1000-1500 rpm range under light acceleration. After riding with him a bit and after he tookthe whole glove box apart he was able to make the noise go away by moving some wires and other things around a bit.
    Long story short the noise is back the next day I don't have the time right now to just leave the truck at The stealership again I'm just gonna fix it myself. But has anyone ever come accross this issue? Maybe know which wire is vibrating back there? If so please let me know it would save me a bunch of time and agrevation I can see in my near furute. I'm really getting tired of listening to my truck buzz while I drive starting to think quality on certain things with Toyota is going down hill never had these issues with my 2000 taco or my 05 pr 09 silverado. Had a bunch of little issues with my taco so far and I have only owned it for a few months

2. Nov 21, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    DO what he did....Take the glove box out...Go for a ride with a friend. Bring some zip ties, electricians tape, and a flashlight.

Have your passenger move stuff around until the buzz goes away and then secure everything in place.

And dude- It's a buzzing wire or clip...Not a "quality issue" imo. Sometimes things get bent a different way or whatever...It shouldn't take by 20 mins to track the sound and fix it...

3. Nov 21, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    jaws revenge

jaws revenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    yeah i had the same thing, and did the same thing about it. that buzzing sound is a little irratating, but its the wires behind the glove box.

one comment though, putting the damper back can be a pita. some people put a screw throught it to 'tighten' it up.

4. Nov 21, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    tntacoma

tntacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn

one comment though, putting the damper back can be a pita. some people put a screw throught it to 'tighten' it up.[/quote]

Exactly what I had to do!

5. Nov 21, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I took a piece of cardboard and folded it up real small. Inserted it between the forks where the damper connects. (after the damper was on). For me, I found from removing it those forks kinda got pushed together and never regained thier shape. That cardboard spreads them out good so it never comes off.

6. Nov 21, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    trd taco guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    I plan on fixing it myself was just askin if anyone might have narrowed it down to where it was comin from just to save time. Idk but when I buy a new vehicle I don't expexct to have to deal with vibration noises right from the start not toention the radio that had to be replaced the rear spring issue that had to be replaced if u want to use ur truck for a truck plastic on the inside scratches like crazy stuff that doesn't light up at night paint that sux just to name a few. Don't get me wrong I love this truck but just alot of minor issues that are starting to get on my nerves. My truck has been in the shop more for issues then it has for maintence.

7. Nov 21, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    drjohnson36

drjohnson36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner SR5 DC
    Remove your glove box and you'll see a collection of wires. The culprit is a loose piece of insulation over a small set of wires towards the left side of the compartment, shown in the center of this picture.

34e92de_10eb215b9dbb22de6a64232956e989ddad885868.jpg

Grab some electrical tape, and tape both ends of this insulation to secure it in place. It's easier if you unplug the wires before taping, just remember to plug it back in.

29p3n8h_d99fe3232dc56907adb383f8c69cb66dd1a388a1.jpg

1zzgfwh_a41aeb34ae7c55424b98b2b58851c1633670a573.jpg

Put everything back together, reattach the mini-shock, and take it for a test drive.

cryptolime likes this.
  8. Nov 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    ^^^Thanks! I am going to try this. I have the same annoying buzz!

9. Nov 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
    Finaly an answer the the friggen anoying noise!!!! I've been trying to find it but had no luck! And Now I'll grab my tape, and attack it. lol!!!

10. Nov 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    trd taco guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    I see I'm not the only one but it's not a "quality issue"

11. Nov 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
    Yes and No. Kinda just another oversite! they needed to protect the wires but never thought that it would/could rattel or make a noise!

12. Nov 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    To much plastic in todays vehicles, speaking of rattles, I had one in the upper left side of my dash. Thought it was change vibrating around in that little PITA box by my left knee, nope not the change..it the box itself. Don't know what to do to fix it....so I removed it!!!:D:D:D

13. Nov 21, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    Thanks you guys i've had this same issue and it gets real old real fast. Thanks for the pic too that is really helpful

14. Nov 21, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    BrandonTorgerson

BrandonTorgerson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Signal Hill, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4
    YYYYEEESSSSS!!!! sOOOo im not crazy!!! hahah the same efing buzzing sound ... so the tape should work eh? awesome! ill give it a try!

15. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:21 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    I had the same noise and mine ended up being the where the air intake goes into the fender.Put some weatherstripping around the intake where it meets the fender and it took care of it.

16. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Nice job. Anyone have an idea how to fix that rattle in the setbelt holder on the access cabs?

17. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    bluecluee

bluecluee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD OR Timberland Mica
    5100's Set at 1.75
    I had this exact same issue and it plagued me for months. I tried taping the wire wrap but nothing seemed to work. I finally took an old T-Shirt and wrapped it around the wires so that they couldn't touch any of the metal pieces behind the glove box. I have been free of the annoying sound for around 4 weeks now. Good luck!

18. Dec 1, 2009 at 8:40 PM
    Cwhitt09taco

Cwhitt09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Tacoma TRD Offroad 4wd
    Stock for now. Bfg at's, aries bull bar, aries nerf bars, uws tool box.
    i will attempt to fix it!

19. Jan 12, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    llcreel46

llcreel46 Member

Member:
    Cedar Park, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    09 with a rattle(like metal hitting metal) on the passenger side. It happens when I go over rough road, which is alot, and have prodded, insulated, and poked and it will not go away. When it is rattles, I can push a little to the left and about 8 to 10 inches up from the glove box and it stops. I have an appointment with the dealer Monday and hope they can find it, if not I am taking the *&%(*& thing apart and attack it.

20. Jan 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    jabrackin

jabrackin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OffRoad
    I found that it was a metal brackett that held the wires going from the engine to run into the fire wall. I bent the brackeet up and put tension on the wires and I didn't have any issues with the noise while it was cold. However, since it has been warm the last 2 days, I have heard the noise again. I may get out tommorrow and trying to push around on the brackett again to see if I can find the solution.

Products Discussed in

To Top