1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another Take on Extra D-Rings

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jyffmguy, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Nov 23, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    jyffmguy

jyffmguy [OP] Taco Boosh!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Midlothian, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC SB OR
    I set out today to add more D-rings to my bed, as I was, like most of you, unhappy with the lack of place to secure things at the front of the bed. I originally started with this excellent write-up by Neubs. While going through the process, however, I found that I didn't like a few things about the install. It's pretty much all me being picky. The bed bolts did not sit flush on top of the OEM D-Rings I bought, and also prevent the D-rings from being able to swivel. These two facts led me to install the D-Rings per Toyota's instructions that came in the package. For those who like to see pictures before pulling the trigger on a mod, here you go. This install is easier than zipping your pants (less risky too).

Materials:
    - Toyota Part:pT785-35054 (this is the old part number. If you call toyota and ask for these, they reference a new number. I am not sure if they are the EXACT same part)
    - T40 3/8" Drive Socket
    - 19mm wrench or socket
    - 7/16" drill bit
    - pencil
    - tape measure
    [​IMG]

1. The instructions say to measure 70mm up from the bottom and 72 mm from the front of the bed to mark your hole. Converted and round to the nearest measureable length, this is 2 3/4" up and 2 7/8" over.Drill the hole using a 7/16" bit, being careful not to penetrate your fuel fill pipe (you have to REALLY F UP to even come near it, but c.y.a., right?)
    [​IMG]

2.Take the white plastic washer off the D-Ring bolt, and place the bolt through the hole. Use some duct tape if you'd like to hold it in place for the next step.

3. Get out of the bed and head to the wheel well. In the instructions, which were written for an '05, it mentions removing screws from the wheel well shroud. Do so if necessary, but I found with my '10 that I could just bend the shroud back a little bit to find the bolt:
    [​IMG]

4. Attach the backing to the bolt using a T40 bit and a 19mm wrench. This can be done alone if you are particularly flexible or blessed by genetics with gorilla arms. Otherwise, get your wife/husband/hetero life mate to hold the backplate vertical per the instructions while you torque the bolt to 23.5 lb-ft.
    [​IMG]

A few pics of the finished product:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy your newly acquired tie-down capabilities.

2. Nov 23, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I like the idea of them being on the side,
    but i feel better with the security of the bed bolts.

3. Nov 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Nice writeup! I got lucky and mine camw with those. I too am picky like you. I like them to swivel.

4. Nov 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Looks great but I'd much rather tie my atv to the bed-bolt rings then those.

5. Nov 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    So that area that you're bolting those down to...is that metal or just bed liner plastic? What (if you had to guess) is the capacity for each of those?

6. Nov 23, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    It's the actual bed, not a liner, with the backing plates you see in the first pic on the other side. You're more than welcome to come pull on mine and see how much they hold :laugh:

7. Nov 23, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    jyffmguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Midlothian, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC SB OR
    Italyn -

There is no metal in our bed. It is made entirely of a composite material. As far as how much it holds, I'm not 100% sure. When it's light out again tomorrow, I will look and see if the stock d-rings use the same system or are bolted to the frame. If they use the same backer plate, then I'd assume they have the same strength. That being said, a specific weight limit is not given in the manual. I will do more research to find this answer.

8. Nov 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    jyffmguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Midlothian, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC SB OR
  9. Nov 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    fatty ac1d

fatty ac1d Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    15 MGM DCSB SR5
    I ordered some d-rings a couple weeks ago and I'm finally convinced to put them in the recommend location. I'll put them there because of the reasons you stated also I don't haul much so the capacity is enough for me, and the location is out of the way. Plus, I'd hate to start cutting up that beautiful bed mat!

10. Nov 23, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    blendedfamily

blendedfamily Well-Known Member

Member:
    'Burque(sucks)
    I used the bed bolts to mount mine, (horribly because I was paying half attention when I cut the washer off the frame bolt and nearly sawed half the bolt head off), and I've torque'd em down tighter than I have with any other tie down system all my previous trucks.

11. Nov 23, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    jyffmguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Midlothian, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC SB OR
    Curiosity got the best of me, and I crawled under the bed with a flashlight. It appears that the stock D-Rings are secured through both the composite bed and a piece of the body. Not sure how much sturdier, if any, this setup is over the additional D-Rings, as this piece of the body is extremely thin.

To clarify, too, I'm not knocking the bed bolt method at all. During my own install, I just didn't like the fit. I imagine if I had gotten the military surplus D-Rings, and shaped them, it would have gone swimmingly, and I will probably still do this to ensure safe tie-down of heavier loads.

12. May 4, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    Cavender76

Cavender76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint Cavender
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    Removed Window Sticker
    I like this location.

13. May 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    Cavender76

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint Cavender
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    Removed Window Sticker
    Like These

DSC_8161.jpg
    DSC_8164.jpg

14. May 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    This. You could probably suspend my truck by the d-rings, as they're essentially bolted to the frame.

15. May 4, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    Cavender76

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint Cavender
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    Removed Window Sticker
    They are bad a$$

16. Jan 31, 2017 at 11:44 AM
    RandyL

RandyL Active Member

Member:
    Yakima, WA
    Vehicle:
    2000 ExtraCab V6 5-speed
    Anybody have the correct Toyota p/n for these d-rings? The OP mentions the old p/n but I didn't see the newer p/n anywhere in the thread.

Thanks!

17. Jan 31, 2017 at 11:47 AM
    RandyL

RandyL Active Member

Member:
    Yakima, WA
    Vehicle:
    2000 ExtraCab V6 5-speed

Products Discussed in

To Top