1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speakers cutting out

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Gitmo, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Nov 19, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    Gitmo

Gitmo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Alright so here's my problem.. I Installed a new HU (alpine cda-105) and an amp under the driver's seat (alpine mrp-f250). Had the amp hooked up to my factory speakers because I didn't have my aftermarket speakers till a week later. Well the factory speakers would cut out when I turned the volume up high.. about 20 or so but if I had it at 19 it would be fine. I figured it was just the shitty stock speakers but once I installed the aftermarket speakers they still cut out. The speakers are Polk Audio db6501 components, I rechecked the connections to make sure everything is right.. I tried turning up the gain but still cuts out, also tried turning it down but no bueno.

Have any ideas what it could be?

2. Nov 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    Gitmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Anyone?..

3. Nov 21, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    Pitt1552

Pitt1552 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab 4x4
    does your amp have any sort of "protection" or "fault" light? if so is it on when they cut out?

4. Nov 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    Gitmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    No, it just has a blue light on top showing that it's on and getting power. I watched it while the speakers cut out and it didn't change nor did any other lights pop up. I just tried bridging the speakers.. still same result. I'm thinking it might be the HU or wiring but have no idea why.

5. Nov 21, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    Pitt1552

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab 4x4
    hi or low level input on the amp? you could also try only connecting one speaker and seeing what happens. also try connecting the speakers through the head unit only. kind of a pain in the ass, but short of havin another amp or speakers or head unit there to swap, its the only way to isolate the issue. could also try metering the speakers to check for resistance and make sure they are w/in spec for the amp.

6. Nov 21, 2009 at 10:00 PM
    Gitmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Alright so I only had one speaker connected to the HU and it didn't have the problem of cutting out. It only distorted when it got too loud.. does this mean my amp has something wrong with it? Or could there be a way to change the mode or something?

7. Nov 22, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    Pitt1552

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab 4x4
    Did you tune the amp when you installed it( turn amp volume all the way down, head unit all the way up, adjust amp volume to proper level and go from there, that is a very basic way of tuning, google may offer more detailed methods). Try each of your speakers individually as well, if there is an issue w/ one it could cause the problem w/ the amp. Also, i'd try a different amp if none of these things solve the issue. you shouldn't need to bridge the channels. Another thing to try would be trying each individual channel on the amp, if other options dont get you anywhere. Kind of jumbled as far as what to do, but short of having additional equipment to try there are a few hoops to jump through to get what ya need. That being said it doesnt sound like your hu is the issue.

It has been awhile since i've done audio work, so i'm not as up on things as i used to be, if anyone else has any thoughts feel free to chime in!

8. Nov 22, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    Tony D

Tony D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Do the gain adjustment thing desribed above. Hook 1 speaker up at a time and test with each - see if it only cuts out on one. Could be a testy speaker or pinched wire that is shorting when it gets hot enough or enough voltage. Could also be a bum amp.

If you find it is cutting out on 1 amp channel or 1 speaker all the time, try swapping speakers and channels - you can use that to determine if it's the amp or speaker/speaker leads.

There is a small chance its the deck, but I'd start with the amp/speakers

9. Nov 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    Gitmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
  10. Nov 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    Tony D

Tony D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    I would get the full size amp myself.

11. Jul 10, 2018 at 5:07 PM
    P8tron

P8tron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB 4x4 OR
    This was years ago, but did it solve your issue? I'm experiencing something similar...

12. Jul 10, 2018 at 6:00 PM
    badhabit2break

badhabit2break Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Red Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Stock
    Start a new thread so we can help you. What is your issue?

P8tron[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jul 10, 2018 at 6:10 PM
    P8tron

P8tron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB 4x4 OR
    My issue is sound/power cutting in and out of driver-side door and tweeter speakers. It happens everyday, every time I drive my truck.

2016 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4 with tech. pkg., but not with the upgraded JBL sound system.

I had new speakers, tweeters, and amps installed. I also had an EQ installed. However, the speakers and tweeters were installed last, and the factory speakers and tweeters experienced this same issue for months before I replaced them myself. AND, I've moved speakers around, with 3 different pairs, and have determined it's not any individual speaker. It's the location/wiring, driver-side door and tweeter. Sound/power cuts in and out, comes and goes, intermittently and simultaneously, and regularly. The kicker is that if I slap or bang on the dash, just above the steering wheel, it corrects it, at least temporarily, and sometimes for as long as I continue driving, until I stop and turn the truck off.

What gives!!!???

14. Jul 11, 2018 at 6:05 AM
    badhabit2break

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    sounds like a wiring issue.

have you tried running new speaker wire to that door from your amp? Non JBL system, the door and dash speaker are connected together.

15. Jul 11, 2018 at 6:20 AM
    P8tron

P8tron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB 4x4 OR
    I agree. No, I have not tried this, but I believe it is what ********* recommends, but I'm not sure why. I also don't know what I'm doing when it comes to installing amps and running those wires. Installing the speakers is easy enough, and I'm familiar with the parallel connection with front door speakers and tweeters. Also, I have an EQ and wonder if this is why the speakers are not wired directly to the amp. Maybe the amp is wired to the EQ and the speakers are wired to the Head Unit, which is also wired to the EQ? Thank you

16. Jul 11, 2018 at 7:48 AM
    badhabit2break

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Usually connections are as followed:

Head Unit (HU) - EQ - Amps - Speakers

********* probably recommended replacing the speaker wire to the door due to something not being write behind the dash (since you have to hit the dash to get it working). If you are not familiar enough to replace the speaker wire on your own, then I would take it to an audio shop and let them do it.

17. Jul 11, 2018 at 7:51 AM
    P8tron

P8tron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB 4x4 OR
    I agree, but ********* recommends this practice no matter what, and always.

Products Discussed in

To Top