1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone replace their HU in a 2009 Taco?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by NuovoTech, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Nov 24, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    NuovoTech

NuovoTech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    You're welcome, I had to edit it a few times, but it's all correct now! :D

2. Nov 26, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    NuovoTech were you able to make it work? Tried it today but one speaker sounded alot louder than the other one, tried switching wires around and no matter what one was louder than the other.

3. Nov 26, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    I assume you mean the aux-input? No I have not tested it, I still have to wire up the rear speakers I'm adding before I crank up the new HU. Did you try it without power to the Noise Filter or with? Have you tried your MP3 player right into the HU aux-input wires before the Scosche harness, etc. ;)

4. Nov 26, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    yes I tried anything I could think of I was at it for 2 hours, ended up with a broken harness lol.

5. Nov 26, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    BTW when you try it whatever you use as a source put the volume at 0 and when the radio is on then slowly raise the volume, I almost blew a speaker well I hope I didn't.

6. Nov 26, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    Well, if you tried doing this & got the same results, then the problem's in your HU or speakers, not in the harness/aux-input wiring. If so, try switching the Right & Left speaker wires from HU. If the problem does move to the other side speaker, it's your HU. If it does not, it's your speaker. :eek:

7. Nov 26, 2009 at 3:38 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Sorry about that I read your post to fast, I did try connecting my ipod directly to the HU it sounded ok both speakers at the same level etc, but when using the AUX input with scosche harness without changing any wires from position I only got sound from the right speakers, changing the red with the black in scosche harness I got right speaker sound and low sound on my left speakers. I did not try powering the AUX maybe that the issue, but Im to tired to try right now :( . Hurry up and put those rear speakers I want your input !!!! :D

8. Nov 28, 2009 at 8:55 AM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    Now I'm interested in the results as well.

9. Nov 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    Well, I'm all finished with my new HU/rear speakers mod & everything went okay. First I checked out the OJ wire issue discussed in below link. I had no problems, so I hooked up the OJ wire & my dimmer rheostat still works... :cool:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/51156-after-market-install-gage-light-not-working.html

Rear speakers sound good, I got info on that in this link... :D

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/5126-diy-rear-speakers-standard-cab-taco-3.html

epa4wd - I wired up the lower aux-input exactly liked I explained previously in this thread & it worked okay in both speakers. I have a front aux-input in my new HU, it seems to work the same as the lower powered one, I have to set the volume up on my basic 1GB MP3 player, even then it's a bit lower than my radio volume, Sorry, I can't offer you any more help on your aux-input problems than I did in my previous post. Good luck! ;)

I added a USB port down next to my lower aux-input, plugs into the back of my new HU. I can then play my 8GB USB thumb drive loaded with my MP3's. My HU, which has no CD player also accepts SD cards(up to 2GB) in it's front panel. So I have lots of digital options now & that's mainly why I swapped out my old factory HU. :D

10. Nov 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Did you cut the RCAs off the sosche harness? My Aux input in my radio is a 3.5mm input, so I basically connected the sosche harness and used a RCA to 3.5mm cable, so Im wondering if thats my issue. Maybe I should cut the RCAs and connect the 3 wires directly to the corresponding 3 wires on a 3.5mm stereo cable, but honeslty I'll try it again the day I have to remove the radio for some reason, I dont feel like taking it out again lol. Im glad you got it to work!

11. Nov 28, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    I stripped the RCA wires because I had 3 wires going into my HU. Did you actually remove the red & black wires(going to the RCA plugs) from your Scosche harness? If not, then just switch(see info below) their positions going into that top level of the harness, ie wht/red/blk(instead of wht/blk/red). Then plug it back into your OEM dash aux-input harness. Then both channels should work okay, if not just plug in a stereo 3.5mm male/male cable & run that to your glovebox. Then just forget about that lower aux-input! It's hard to get at it without totally dismantling your middle dash.

Removing those red & black wires from the Scosche harness is tricky, but basically insert a straight pin(or small bent paper clip) from the open side & pull the wire/connector pin out from the wire side. The pin goes into the very small rectangular hole just below the male connector in the below foto. You may already know this, but I threw it in anyway. Good luck! :D

epa4wd.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top