1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.0 head gasket

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by desertdude59, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Dec 6, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 [OP] CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    I finally started rebuilding my top end of my toy after the crappy job a previous mechanic did. I wanted to replace the timing belt, he said don't worry about it. I inspected it and there was a tear in it I could turn my water pump by hand. Not suppose to be able to do that if the timing belt was snug. What an idiot. I worked on the truck for 3 hours and got it down to the heads. I could see where the intake gaskets were leaking too. Hopefully my heads aren't cracked. That would be a bummer. I guess I'll see when they come off and go to the machine shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dec 19, 2009 at 2:26 PM
    pauldotcom

pauldotcom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Quad Cab
    OEM Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", Rear 1" block, TRD 17' Wheels
    Is this is the wrong forum? If your going to pull the heads off, make sure you straight-edge the block and heads!

3. Dec 19, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    kevhogaz

kevhogaz Low Speed, High Drag

Member:
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner
    3" lift front & rear, Air Raid Intake System
    I was working at a Toyota dealership, when the V06 campaign was going on. I did so many of those head gaskets, I swear I could do 'em in my sleep.

We didn't really see any with warped blocks, the ones that got a new short block were the ones with the #6 cylinder, that had the cross hatching worn off of the back of the cylinder. Be sure and check that while you've got the heads off.

Have fun, and take your time, and do it right.

4. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    pauldotcom

pauldotcom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Quad Cab
    OEM Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", Rear 1" block, TRD 17' Wheels
    I am a Toyota Master technician myself and did over 100 of those headgaskets.

About 7% of the time I had to strip the blocks down and send out the block to have it machined. I used to love doing them because they paid like 22 hours!

In the recall Toyota specified no more than .010 warpage between the head & the block. There were times when the heads were OK but the blocks were down to .007. The recall specifically instructed you to have the block machined, not replaced with a short block.

Anyhow, make sure you check everything, and you need to insure that the straight edge is good!

5. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    desertdude59

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    I never overheated it and the bottom end has about 20,000 on the rebuild from before. The guy before was an idiot that did it before. I will check the block though.

6. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    desertdude59

Member:
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top