1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Juggernaut, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Dec 6, 2009 at 10:37 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut [OP] Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    I want to upgrade the sound in my truck and found these speakers on super sale.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0PF9G

Do you think these will provide me with better bass or should I try to find a good deal on some 6x9 to fit in the front doors?

2. Dec 6, 2009 at 10:40 PM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    i went with alpine 6x9 up front and 6" in the rear doors they sound better than stock but im sure someone will tell you to get 4 6" speakers and not do 6x9s

3. Dec 6, 2009 at 10:43 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut [OP] Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    my rear speakers are in the ceiling(toyota:crazy:), I haven't the slightest idea how to get to them without messing up the headliner, so I am hoping to just get some nice speakers up front for now.

4. Dec 6, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    BobSaget916

BobSaget916 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab PreRunner 4-cyl MT
    Volant CAI Magnaflow Cat-Back HID's 6000k bi-xenon Fog Light Kit mod w/6000k HID's Tinted Tail Lights Kicker CVR 10'' Sub in Super Crew Sound Sub Box Alpine MRP-350 Monoblock Amp Pioneer Premier Head Unit JL 6x9's up front 6.5's in the back Tweets up front Mud Flap Delete 5 over 20% Tint in the back, 20% on the front, 35% on the WS EGR In-Channel Wind Guards Coming Soon -Doug Thorley Headers -Color-Matched Front and Rear Bumpers, Overfenders, Mirrors, Door handles, and Grille -Billet Grille or Mesh Grille -Bilstien 5100's front and rear -OME Coilover Springs -Rear Add-a-Leaf -33's after suspension work is done -TRD Skidplate
    I did JL 6x9's up front and 6.5's in the rear and the tweeters and it was like night and day difference. Anything is better than stock but I would try to find something better than Polk audio. Thats just what I would do, there are alot of good deals out there and you can find some nice speakers for a decent price.

5. Dec 6, 2009 at 11:00 PM
    AlexForbesR6

AlexForbesR6 My R6 Eats Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    Pol are great but i would go with some components up front...they are not needed in the back so you could get those in the link in the back...

in fact if you scroll down on that page they have a set of polk 6.5 components for like 95 buck which is a damn good deal...

but its all up to how much you wanna spend...i am saving up for some Hybrid Audio components for up front and a set of 3-way coaxials for the rear (probably not HA though...)

6. Dec 6, 2009 at 11:01 PM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    K&N airfilter, HID conversion for headlights/fogs. Wet Okole Seat covers, Kove Aphex processor Kenwood comp 6.5" and 6.5"coaxial 5100 billy shocks 2.5", 1.5" fabtech AAL,Epicenter and MTX Sub, debadged, tinted, kenwood dnx812, black mesh grill, led ext/int.
    Alpine are good. But you need research your options: CDT, boston acoustics,kenwood, infiity, diamond audio, etc. There's a whole lot of brands to consider. For me I check for their sensitivity the higher the dB the better at any volume. Good luck.:D

7. Dec 6, 2009 at 11:03 PM
    mcampos0

mcampos0 Today I Will!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    EL Paso
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Pre
    Mud Flaps Off, Window Tint, Keyless Remote w/ Kill switch n Alarm, Straps for shovel in back, Avh-3100DVD, 3in toytec lift, 285/75/16 Nitto tera Grapplers on stock 16 wheels, Polk Audio MM speakers all around
    Ive heard great things from infinity speakers and from the specs them seem more clear and powerful than pioneer and other brands but idk.. Maybe theirs some special brand out there..

8. Dec 7, 2009 at 3:10 AM
    JBTuncc

JBTuncc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    I just ordered 4 last week for my truck and am putting them in after Christmas. For 35 dollars they will do everything I need. If not, I can always spend 100 to replace the fronts. Dude, 35 bucks!!! Insane.

9. Dec 7, 2009 at 3:19 AM
    James3492

James3492 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    EAST COUNTY
    Black-out Tail lights Painted Rims & Hood Scoop
    Jl Audios. =) i have heard amazing things about those speakers. and if you want bass get a 12' inch kicker or jl audio in the back .=)

but then again 35.00 Bucks for those is DEAL!!! i say go for it.

10. Dec 7, 2009 at 3:46 AM
    sc426hemi

sc426hemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Abilene tx, if im not there im in kuwait
    Vehicle:
    05 X-runner few mods here and there
    URD short shifter, billet grill, sound system, bought but not yet installed jba headers, luminous solutions HID heads and fogs, AFE intake and some other stuff i cant think of
    i have focal front and back in mine and i cant say that there is anything that i have heard that is better. they are much more expensive than those but worth it. i would get them and if they are trash your not out a whole lot. they are more than likely better than the stock cardboard speakers

11. Dec 7, 2009 at 4:52 AM
    ENIGMA206

ENIGMA206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Bay, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 Off-Road DC
    Tunes Tonneau On-board Air Firestone Air Bags
    Polk dB speakers are very good speakers for the money relatively speaking. I had dB651 speakers in the rear doors of my last truck and dB6501 components in the front, all driven by 55 watts RMS. I never had a problem with them and they sounded fine. I've had Polk dB speakers in my last two trucks. I had Infinity Reference series in the truck before that. They are in the same price range as dB. Never an issue with those either.

JLs are good too, so are Alpine....they're all good. Everyone is going to tell you that what they have is the best.

Great price. Get 'em. But I do agree with the other poster that said to get components (dB6501). The speakers in Tacos sit so low in the doors that you lose most of you tweeter sound because highs are directional. Putting tweeters up high gives a much richer sound.

12. Dec 22, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    mcampos0

mcampos0 Today I Will!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    EL Paso
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Pre
    Mud Flaps Off, Window Tint, Keyless Remote w/ Kill switch n Alarm, Straps for shovel in back, Avh-3100DVD, 3in toytec lift, 285/75/16 Nitto tera Grapplers on stock 16 wheels, Polk Audio MM speakers all around
    Real quick before i buy something that im gonna regret whats better Polk audio or JL Audio

13. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    zanodave

zanodave Well-Known Member

Member:
    so il
    Vehicle:
    07speedwayblue
    just herd the Hertz (he)6.5 they sounded sweet.

14. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    zanodave

zanodave Well-Known Member

Member:
    so il
    Vehicle:
    07speedwayblue

not to hi jack this thread,but how does those (HAT) sound.

15. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:26 PM
    07speedwayblue

07speedwayblue Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    nineveh, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07tacoma sport 4x4 doublecab
    Jason Rage lid, husky floorliners, Procomp 6" stage 1 lift , bilstein 5100 upfront, 33x12.50r17 MT ATZ tires MT 17x9 Classic Locks,stainless steel brake lines,N-Fab ss nerf bars,smittybuilt grille saver, Amp bed extender,Mbrp cool dual t409 exhaust. KCHiLites Daylighter Driving Lights 6", Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD, HD Tunner, Rear Camera, Focal K2 Power 6.5" Component Speakers Front/Back, Infinity Kappa Four and Kappa One Amps, Infinity Kappa 10" DVC Subs,PowerStop Drilled/Slotted Rotors ,PowerStop Heavy Duty Towing Brake Pads, Blue Painted calipers.
    They both make great speakers! I`ve had both , you really can`t go wrong with either!

16. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    07speedwayblue

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    nineveh, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Jason Rage lid, husky floorliners, Procomp 6" stage 1 lift , bilstein 5100 upfront, 33x12.50r17 MT ATZ tires MT 17x9 Classic Locks,stainless steel brake lines,N-Fab ss nerf bars,smittybuilt grille saver, Amp bed extender,Mbrp cool dual t409 exhaust. KCHiLites Daylighter Driving Lights 6", Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD, HD Tunner, Rear Camera, Focal K2 Power 6.5" Component Speakers Front/Back, Infinity Kappa Four and Kappa One Amps, Infinity Kappa 10" DVC Subs,PowerStop Drilled/Slotted Rotors ,PowerStop Heavy Duty Towing Brake Pads, Blue Painted calipers.
    What ever brand you buy , get component speakers, wat better sound !! Also if you want more bass get a small sub!! In my f250 I have a total of 4 sets of component in the front with 8" midbass speakers in my front doors and a set of componets in the rear door and a 3 way componet set in the rear pailars and 2 10" subs behind the rear seat. I have 3 amps powering it all. it`s all wired up with stinger audio wiring/rca cable and fuse blocks ect. All of my speaker are focal mids/highs and 8" front midbass speakers are jl audio zr models and the subs are kicker L5 dual voice coils. I have 2 kicker amps and 1 jl audio amp. It`s way over kill , but with a big f250 crew cab withe a 7.3L diesel you need a loud stereo!! I`m pushing around 1900 rms watts for now. I need to replace my 2 kicker amps.

17. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut [OP] Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    The thread is alive! I don't want to get a sub because I don't have space for it in my access cab. I used to have 4x10 (weird size I know, but they fit well behind bench seat in my old reg cab) and they used to vibrate the mirror just hooked up to a 4x50 watt stereo. I ended up not getting these, but if I do can I still keep the little speaker of the component and plug this into where the crappy stock speaker is? Should I get a 6x9'' for more bass? All I want is more bass from the stock speaker location.

18. Dec 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    It's all in the speakers. Good speakers can make any deck sound great. You'll need some extra stuff like crossovers, and some quality cable (don't reuse the thin wiring already there). My recommendation.

Get some Focal Polyglass 5 1/2 rounds and a good amp to run them. They have amazing clarity - the best sounding speakers I've ever heard!

OK, then you'll need a subwoofer. Yeah, I know you say you don't have room.. but you really do. Check out these enclosures- reasonably priced and a custom fit for our trucks... http://www.soundoffaudio.com/Toyota-Tacoma-Subwoofer-Box.cfm

Now the hardest part.. you've got to get some tweeters to replace that factory junk.

I've done this setup and it really sounds amazing!

19. Dec 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut [OP] Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    The website doesn't have a box for 09 (toyota redesigned the back for 09-10) & I would like to stay away from subs, just want a pair of 6x9 or 6.5 that will fit and sound nice. I was happy with my old 4''x10'' so it doesn't take a sub to make me happy. Can I keep the factory component (tweeter) and put in a new 6x9 in the door? Iv'e never replaced components b4.

20. Dec 22, 2009 at 10:15 PM
    07speedwayblue

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    nineveh, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    You might get a fair bass out of some 6x9`s , but it will not be all that great. If you want good sound you need to have highs, mids and bass speakers in components. If not it won`t sound all that good.Look at the thin bass speakers that jl audio makes they will fit in a really small sub box. Crossover is well worth the $ I have an eletric crossover and a kenwood eq in my dash right under my head unit. [​IMG] Trust me , do it right the first time , it will save you alot of $$!!! I have upgraded my stereo system 3 times already.

Products Discussed in

To Top