1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Right to Fly Flag

Discussion in 'Military' started by dhurley, Dec 3, 2009.

?

What should he do?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2010.
  1. Screw them & leave it up

142 vote(s)
    90.4%
  2. Take it down & shove it up their a**

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Other (be creative)

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Dec 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
  2. Dec 9, 2009 at 5:29 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  3. Dec 9, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    28ØØ3

28ØØ3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    boss
    somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend B
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB SR5 4WD
    VatoZone Especial
    I can see both sides of this. The HOA has a right to enforce their rules, and the guy should be able to put up a flagpole.
    BUT, if my 90 year old grandpa, who was in WWII, wanted to fly a flag in his front yard, then nobody better get in his damn way! I'd make sure of that!

4. Dec 9, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - A 90-year-old Medal of Honor winner can keep his 21-foot flagpole in his front yard after a homeowner's association dropped its request to remove it, a spokesman for Democratic Virginia Sen. Mark Warner said Tuesday.
    The Sussex Square homeowners' association likewise has agreed to drop threats to take legal action against retired Army Col. Van T. Barfoot, Warner spokesman Kevin Hall said.
    The association had threatened to take Barfoot to court if he failed to remove the pole from his suburban Richmond home by Friday. It had said the pole violated the neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines.
    Neither Barfoot's daughter, Margaret Nicholls, nor homeowners' president Glenn Wilson immediately returned telephone messages.
    Dropping the issue effectively ends a request that White House press secretary Robert Gibbs on Monday called "silly."
    Warner and Sen. Jim Webb, both Virginia Democrats, had rallied behind Barfoot, a World War II veteran.
    In a letter last week, Webb urged the association to "consider the exceptional nature of Col. Barfoot's service when considering his pride and determination in honoring our flag."
    Barfoot's fight also has lit up veterans bulletin boards and blog sites supporting him.
    Barfoot won the Medal of Honor for actions while his platoon was under German assault near Carano, Italy, in May 1944. He was credited with standing up to three German tanks with a bazooka and stopping their advance.
    He also won the Purple Heart and other decorations, and served in Korea and Vietnam before retiring from the service in 1974.

5. Dec 9, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
  6. Dec 9, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    Hologram

Hologram Go with the flow

Member:
    Pensacola-Destin, FL 850
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab PreRunner SR5
    geez, like one flagpole is going to rain on the hoa parade. they should just let the man do what he wants and put the flag up. for Christ sake he fought for these people when they were probably still swimming in their daddy's sac.

just be glad this guy didnt put a knife, razor, and 1 .45 round in the truck...or maybe he did :infantry:

7. Dec 9, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Good stuff. I am satisfied, but it should have never been an issue in the first place.

8. Dec 9, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod

Hey, is this your ride?

9. Dec 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Not mine, must be another card carrying member's.

10. Dec 9, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    And if they do want to fly a Non-American Flag in AMERICA then why are they in America ????

11. Dec 9, 2009 at 1:46 PM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    not that i disagree but them if thats allowed imagine a tall pole in front of every single house then thats not a residential area more like a commercial place ... just my .2cents on the topic

12. Dec 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    His nieghboorhood is going to turn into a slum because he flies an American Flag? If you believe that theres something wrong with you.

13. Dec 9, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    No this man doesnt have more rights, but because of his service he deserves more respect than you or me, and out of respect we should let him fly his flag.

14. Dec 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    mike s

mike s Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Those of you that actually think that this issue is about rules have missed the boat, this is about a war hero who is on a list designated by congress for actions that go beyond normal bravery. He is better than the rest of us, and has more rights than the rest of us period. if the man wants a pole then the man gets a pole period, this should not even be debated.

15. Dec 10, 2009 at 4:58 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    People making comparisons between having a flagpole and having junk cars strewn in the yards are just way the fuck off base. A flagpole with the American and/or state flag on it in no way lowers property values. Letting your yard go to shit, letting the house go to shit & similar nonsense does bring down property values & slumifies it! Showing your pride in this country, taking pride in your service to said country even in the face of current idiocy & taking care of your property only makes it a better place. The knob slobbin HOA should bow, kiss his ass & be glad there are good people like him willing to hang around with their mindless shit being cast about. Glad they brained up & let him be however it came about.

16. Dec 10, 2009 at 5:22 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I'm glad there's finally a resolution and this idiotic debate can end.

17. Dec 10, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I missed none of it. This isn't a case of some beligerant person bucking the rules and doing what he wants no matter what the rules have become AFTER he already had the flag pole to begin with. I do believe in rules & zoning to protect property values, just not power trippin foolish nazi-ass organizations that have no respect for what has come before them. BTW, I do comply with my HOA rules whether I believe in them or not. They won't get my house or any extra money from me for any reason. I'm not doing anything to give them a reason to fuck with me which allows me the attitude of they can go fuck off & deal with the real problems in the area instead of focusing any attention on me. My shit's covered.

18. Dec 10, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I read the same article mentioned above. It is why I say fuck the HOA, he had pole before HOA changed rules. Was article wrong?

19. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    no he didn't. and the rules never 'changed'

20. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    The thing is over he got to keep his flag pole, and the HOA dropped it. Glad it went the way it did, but there is no piont in arguing over it anymore.

Products Discussed in

To Top