1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Tacoma quetions: VSC Off & A-Trac/ LSD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by David K, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hi gang, I just traded my 2005 Tacoma TRD 4WD for a 2010 TRD 4WD (both are double cab).

The owners manual isn't very clear (to me) and I am hoping to get some feed back on these new features...

Seems to have Limited Slip Differntials (AUTO LSD) that can be disengaged if you want to make the tires spin to get unstuck, etc.

Can you help me understand how they work, when to use, etc. A-TRAC button, VSC OFF (Vehicle Stabilty Control) button, AUTO LSD (light)...

Thanks... The locking rear differntial is the same as my '05, so no questions there.

2010Tacoma011_dae7eb59a72b7d037f852e8b5561613e896de7d3.jpg

2. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    There has been some great discussions on this subject. I'm not up on how to post a link to a thread, but try a search for Vehicle Stability Control. I'm sure someone else here can direct you to the proper threads. This is a very common question and it would be a great thing to be sticky.

3. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:55 AM
    Outlaw

Outlaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Water Pump, Timing Belt, Sparkplugs, Plastidip Grill emblem
    Read through these. It should you understand the functions of the [​IMG][​IMG] RR DIFF LOCK, VSC OFF(CARw/ SQUIGGLY LINES),and ATRAC(Next To MP3 Jack) buttons.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/60011-auto-lsd-what-point.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/27223-2009-vsc-trac-auto-lsd-snow-test.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...4low-trac.html

Originally Posted by Demoncleaner [​IMG]
    -2wd, default TRAC & VSC. No shinagins, keeps you in line. Buzzer, brakes, motor cuts, and caution light goes off constantly driving hard. It works.

-2wd, 1 push of VSC button. TRAC off, AUTO-LSD on, VSC on. Similar to above, but more traction, truck starts to fishtail easier, VSC cuts in to keep you in control.

-2wd, hold VSC 5 sec. AUTO-LSD on, VSC off. Hey its like my old TRD Sport, fishtailing fun, though extended hard driving, the brakes are working hard to keep the LSD going.

-4hi, Unlike the Tundra, VSC is still on, safe for control in the snow, but playing in the fields, the VSC cuts in, can it be shutoff? VSC button didn't stop it.

Overall nice truck, definately safer and really helps you stay within limits of the stock Dunlops. Much easier to control on snow than an 05-08 on the same tires. Of course, getting back into my 6spd on snow tires, obviously much more traction and realize how much fun and involving it is.

I just did a couple hours of "testing" the VSC/TRAC system on my '09 4X4.

2WD Everything on - Works really well, cuts throttle heavily at low speeds, but definatly allows some wheelspin. Seems to transfer power, but also limits it heavily at low speeds. At higher speeds, still allows a little bit of wheelspin. Example: driving along a snow covered road, a little extra throttle may not spin the wheels much, but enough for the Stability control to cut in. For many drivers, my wife included, this would save them a quick trip to the ditch or worse. It would also come in very handy on those unexpected sections of "black ice". Taking slower turns, nothing short of deliberatly pitching the truck, and not correcting, would cause any major slides.

2H AUTO LSD - I push of the VSC button, and now I can spin the tires, no throttle restriction until 2nd gear, (when TRAC automatically re-activates). Good if you need to spin your way out of some muck. Also allows sliding the ass end to do a tight U-turn. VSC seems to be fully active above 10 mph or so. Not quite as "tight" as the friction based LSD on my Dakota, but more effective in a split / MU situation. (NO traction on 1 wheel).

2H VSC OFF - Toyota Tech manual states that in this mode, VSC will still activate under braking, or if "Yaw rate is large". Meaning it is always lurking, even when turned off. I didn't notice any Traction function. Not sure what the OP experienced, because this shuts everything off, except the lurking VSC function.

4H Everything on - Full throttle starts get excellent grip. No apparent throttle intervention. VSC fully functional. This is the obvious choice for slippery conditions. Almost feels like it cuts throttle, but Toyota tach manual says no throttle intervention. Probably just transfering power, and finding grip, so the slight loss of RPM feels like throttle being cut.

4H VSC OFF - Allows small slides, seems to accelerate slower, no LSD effect. Only use I can think of for this mode is maybe in the mud, or for fooling around.

Bottom line: This truck has tires that are crappy in the snow. Without these systems, the stuff I tried today would surely have spun me out, and or put me in the ditch. A small amount of opposite lock steering was required to fully straighten the skids, but no second correction was required. This is where many skid rookies lose it, not on the first slide, but on the snap back. I never wanted my wife driving a pickup where we live, 5 months of slippery driving....After trying this stuff out, we have ordered her a Tacoma, with BFG A/T's. Amazing Technology, will surely save lives and lots of accidents. Not to mention the functional benefits of the transferring of torque. My opinion is anyone who bashes these systems, just doesn't know how to correctly use them.

Attached Thumbnails [​IMG]

4. Dec 11, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Thank you very much... a lot of reading, but I want to learn the new traction features... Since I have ATRAC and a Locking Rear Differential on my 4X4, I may be unstoppable in all offroad situations! I will continue to read up on this and try it out on my new Toy!

5. Dec 11, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad Magnetic Grey Met
    maybe not "unstoppable", but yes, they are great features... I love my '09 DC SB TRD OR... I use all the features, and they work great. I've gone places that I would not have been able w/o the locker and A-TRAC... It's almost like having a front LSD...

Congrats on the new truck.

PS- I forgot to mention that the stock "rugged fails" are definitely the weakest part of the truck... I got rid of them with less than 1000 miles on them and replaced them with some Big O Bigfoot AT's, and have been impressed in all conditions...

6. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    Outlaw

Outlaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    You are welcome. Hope that helped.
    ... these trucks are capable, but not unstoppable, but im sure you will find that out on your own just like i did. My first winter i was loving the truck, I thought it could go through anything, then this summer i tried mud. Different story, -they dont call these tires Rugged Fails for nothing...:rolleyes:
    Stuck2.jpg[​IMG]

7. Dec 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    About the new systems... Do I have this right? (thanks to your replies everyone)

VSC:

One of the new devices is VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) created by Bosch. The normal problem with pickups on slippery roads, fish-tailing on a fast turn has been eliminated with VSC. VSC can be turned off in off road conditions where tire spinning is desired to get un stuck by 'rocking' the vehicle.

TRAC: Limited Slip Differential (LSD) system for 2WD, or 4WD Hi Range (normal paved and dirt road driving).

AUTO LSD (in 2WD only): By pushing the VSC button, normal TRAC (LSD) turns off and becomes 'AUTO LSD' which works harder on slipping wheels to quickly get you 'un stuck' when a tire looses traction, in 2WD.

4WD Hi Range (4-Hi): AUTO LSD goes off, VSC and TRAC are on.

4WD Low Range (4-Lo): Turns off TRAC and VSC.

A-TRAC (Active Traction Control): Offers TRAC (LSD) when in low range 4WD. Seems to be a new feature that previous model owners had to cut a wire to have.

LOCKING REAR DIFFERNTIAL (in 4-Lo only): Power goes equally to both rear wheels.

LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL + A-TRAC (in 4-Lo only): Power to both rear wheels and power to front wheel(s) with traction.

With A-Trac and the rear differential locked, you could have only ONE tire on firm ground and it will pull the vehicle out any mud, snow, sand situation.

8. Dec 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    Outlaw

Outlaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    im no expert, Might take some playing around to figure exactly how they work.
    Seems mostly correct, but one step you missed is if you hold the vsc button down for like 5 seconds when at a complete stop in 2 hi or 4 hi, it shuts off the vsc and lsd so you can fishtail around without the truck trying to apply brakes and power to certain wheels to keep you from losing control.
    Also Im not sure if the rear locking dif and A trac work together or not...and it may or may not pull you out of mud snow or sand. tires play a big role in those situations.

9. Dec 11, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
  10. Dec 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    This is how I addressed that feature in my list above:

"VSC can be turned off in off road conditions where tire spinning is desired to get un stuck by 'rocking' the vehicle." ... right?

11. Dec 31, 2009 at 10:18 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Okay, after figuring it all out... testing and lots of input on this forum (thank you)... I have added an abbreviated list of the drive modes my Tacoma has into my signature (at the bottom of all my posts) for all others who are mystified by the new stuff and Toyota's poorly written manual.

Testing continues!

12. Dec 31, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    so confusing... :confused:

if I'm stuck, 4 lo with rear lock will get me out of anything!

13. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    If you have the '09 Off Road TRD, then you also have A-TRAC in L4 (I believe) or can cut the wire... I was in Baja last weekend and put my '10 through the tests on the Baja 1000 course, arroyos and beach sand. The new system is amazing... TRAC in H4 will take you anywhere, A-TRAC in L4 will get you out if you do bury it. I had to stick mine in sand on purpose by turning TRAC off in H4... Then I used A-TRAC and RR locking Diff. and crwaled out... No digging, no deflating of tires needed!

14. Feb 23, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    I have found that with all this traction, when you get stuck --- you are really stuck bad :eek:

15. Feb 23, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Really? I would like to hear how you got stuck and couldn't get yourself out!

Since this old post, I have been 4 wheeling with this new Tacoma and am totally sold on TRAC in H4 and A-TRAC in L4... it (A-TRAC) is as good as lockers in the rear and perhaps front, too... as it works all four tires with hydraulic boost braking of spinning tires to lock them with traction tires.

TRAC in H4 is a big improvement over standard 4WD and actually will prevent digging in, by transfering torque to traction tires. I tested it in Baja and the desert of California... and can't wait to go back!

I actually burried my truck by turning off TRAC and driving a few feet in normal 4WD (open differentials) in deep sand, and then engaged A-TRAC and it pulled itself out of the stuck! AMAZING !

16. Jan 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Wow, you had to go back almost year to find this thread!

Please click on the link in my sig., below... On the traction controls for more!

The Tacoma Off Road 4WD is a totally capable off road truck from the showroom. Doesn't need after market front locker for more traction because of the A-TRAC.

Save you dinero and get better tires, HID lights, maybe rugged bumpers?

Products Discussed in

To Top