1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Seat Rub Issue

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Zizo, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Dec 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    Zizo

Zizo [OP] Engineer Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '06 DoubleCab 4x4 TRD Sport
    TRD Supercharger, 3" lift w/ Fox Shox, Pioneer Sound System, Remote Start, Avid Off Road Bumpers, All Pro Sliders, LED light bar, HID headlights, much more...
    HI,
    I'm in the process of gathering all necessary materials to put 2 subs in my doublecab. I bought a box off ebay back in September before I knew about TW and MrMarv and all the stuff he sells. Needless to say I should have waited till after school finished to buy stuff but anyway... I have chosen to get 2 pioneer shallow mount subs, that are only 3" thick, so depth is not a problem in the box. My problem is that the box fits just so, that if a sub were installed the face would be hitting the backseat and most likely the cone would hit too.

I know I could just take off the seat backs but i'd rather not, because I do use the surface. Does anyone else have this issue with their setup?? Any help? I thought of drilling the hole out bigger and installing new subwoofer rings inside the box and screwing them in from the outside. This might recess them just enough so I could close the rear seat. Anyone else have any ideas???

Gonna get some Raam mat to insulate the doors and back panel behind the subs. Will i need it anywhere else? Thanks in advance everyone!!!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Dec 13, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    Zizo

Zizo [OP] Engineer Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '06 DoubleCab 4x4 TRD Sport
    TRD Supercharger, 3" lift w/ Fox Shox, Pioneer Sound System, Remote Start, Avid Off Road Bumpers, All Pro Sliders, LED light bar, HID headlights, much more...
    No one has any ideas?? Is it that common of a problem or am I the odd man out?

3. Dec 13, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    craigFLA

craigFLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    I recently posted this on another thread here, so copied it over...

After much research and experimentation have successfully moved the rear seats of my DC forward..granted its not alot, but all I needed to resolve clearance issues and comfortably keep my rear seat-back plastic covers, and deaden the hell out of the back wall with no worries or clearance issues.

I moved the seat bottom forward 1/2", and the seat back 3/4", using 3/8" spacers and longer 10X1.25"X45 bolts. The trick however, is extending the U-brackets bolted to the back of the truck which lock the seat backs.

I picked up some 5/16" round bar, and extended my brackets 3/4" by cuting and tig welding. Cleaned up the welds a little, primed and painted them black. Havent uploaded any pics yet to my photobucket, so I just uploaded a single pic and attached from my pc.

Keep in mind the brackets dont have to be extended at all, as the seat backs still lock in place with the stock brackets even after being moved forward ...however I require a clean 3/4" additional clearance top and bottom for my application.

The seat-bottom U-bracket that catches the floor tab (part of the actual floor) where the seat bottom "hooks" or latches to the floor of the truck just required minor tweaking. My seat bottoms open and close fine, requiring just a little more effort than before...which is good as I would rather not worry about any rattle when the bass hits.

FYI: moving the seat backs anymore than 3/4" would require longer seatbelt buckles, or more likely i would have had to fabricate custom tabs to bolt them at the factory location. Fortunately, 3/4" was all I required, and the seat belts are fine. Also, the plastic corners of the seat back cover no longer fit. Not an issue for me at all, but thought it was worth mentioning. Later perhaps, I might try to modify them to fit..just for fun.

I successfully completed this mod, and am VERY happy with the results. Its not at all noticable, looks completely stock, had VERY minimal impact on leg room, but made a HUGE difference on sub enclosure and amp clearances.

I will be posting pics of this mod, as well as my system/sound deadening install after the holidays when it is complete.

Hope this helps. Defineately something for you (and countless others I think) may consider. Good luck.

DSC02398.jpg

4. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    DSC02408_0d7d8a355c0870a4ff10ad723ac1eca1167e6e34.jpg

I will paint the zinc spacers (from home depot) black (for a more stealth install/zinc sticks out like a sore thumb to me) when I remove them over holiday break to deaden the truck...I bought the first 4 longer bolts at a bolt store (which are black) then later found 4 more at home depot (which are zinc).
    Here are a few more pics...I also notched the center seat bracket to allow additional clearance for amps.

[​IMG]

DSC02431_6b1d665dcb52c04c397ffeb36fc88e1974e7f196.jpg

The used the paint sticks to help keep the rack in place for pics, as I havent secured it yet...these are all in progress pics.

5. Dec 14, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    azTRD

azTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you just need clearance for the subs... I would get a new box made for your application (if you can afford it). It may cost you a few $$ but it will be done right and be less of a headache in the long run.

6. Dec 15, 2009 at 3:49 AM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Even with another enclosure, you may still need to remove the plastic seat back covers to allow clearance and stop rubbing the front of your subs.

Marv built my enclosure, and my clearance with the rear seats in their stock location would have required me to remove the plastic seat back covers...which like you I did not want to do.

You can shim the rear seats forward without extended the U bracket like I did, and still gain enough clearance for your enclosure. If you decide this is not for you, I would contact Marv to discuss enclosure options with your specific subs. I know he has built several enclosures for the shallow mount pioneers, and can tell you through experience what will work and what wont.

7. Dec 15, 2009 at 4:20 AM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
    WOW from the title I thought you were going to rub one out in the back seat! :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top