1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help us fight california diesel smog laws

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by cummins6speed, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Dec 18, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    Its_Taco_Time

Its_Taco_Time Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    07 Tunda DC TRD Offroad
    CST spindles, Magnaflow, TRD intake
    Wrong. My bro has a 5.9L turbo cummins, runs even with my 4L v6 (get your facts straight!) :p

2. Dec 18, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    Its_Taco_Time

Its_Taco_Time Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    07 Tunda DC TRD Offroad
    CST spindles, Magnaflow, TRD intake
    Come down to SoCal where flatbillers drive "banks-tuned" diesels and blow black smoke at every stoplight. I totally agree they should be busted. So irritating

3. Dec 18, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    P-Dub

P-Dub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 Blue 4x4 TRD Sport DC LB
    TRD skid plate, OEM roof rack, OEM running boards, TruckCovers USA rolling tonneau cover, 3000K HID Foglights
  4. Dec 18, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Look, every diesel discussion turns into an aftermarket dick measuring contest, I said STOCK. And I see modded diesels belching out soot all the time, noisy, crap sounding trucks.....Funny thing is, most of them wouldn't run a low 15 second 1/4 mile...... Heres an interesting tidbit, also suggests I was wrong about the acceleration of the newest Ram, they've been slugs until the 6 speed auto. Still no match for the Hemi, especially at $9000 less in Canada!
    Motor Trend magazine and others publish 0 - 60 mph for the new Dodge S/T w Hemi at 5.7 seconds, and the 1/4 at 14.4.

Best time I have seen for the 6.7 is 8.97 and 16.65 sec @ 82.94 according to "Truckin'

5. Dec 19, 2009 at 1:46 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    My buddy's Stock 8000 lb 1992 6bt cummins can keep up with my 3.4 Tacoma.

I think it's you that needs to get your facts straight

6.7 I6 Cummins 350 hp 650 ft lb
    8.1 v8 Vortec 350 hp 450 ft lb
    I've seen my buddy's truck get out run by a 6.7

My buddy's 8.1 gets 9-11 MPG
    the 6.7 gets roughly 16-18 mpg

I don't see any soot here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhCjMIGEN2E

6. Dec 19, 2009 at 2:01 AM
    WhatThePho?

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
  7. Dec 19, 2009 at 3:03 AM
    rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Magnolia, TX

what disadvantages? as mentioned earlier, a diesel would get better milage and actually have some low end torque

my 8,000 lb cummins would out accelerate a 4 banger. my "mildly" tuned cummins would stomp most trucks on the road not to mention make 20 mpg's and actually be able to pull something. i love the little tacoma's but atleast mine isnt made to do much work other than pulling around a 4 wheeler.

this is false. "off-road" diesel is the same ULSD found at the pumps, the only difference is there is a die introduced to give a visual clue that road taxes arent payed.

if you see a modern diesel blowing lots a soot it can be one of several things. more times than not, it is the result of an aftermarket tune or box. for a moderate investment, you can add 100 hp and 200 ft lbs or trq in 5 mins. the earlier products were a little more sloppy in the way the power is made. in the last few years with the hippies and liberals coming down on the diesel community, the manufactuers have been tweeking the timing, rail pressure, turbo boost and injection duration to optimize cleaner power. not to mention the mandatory particulate filters.

i love to pull next to pretentious people like you while they are talking on their cell phone with their window down. for some reason they dont like my 5" turbo back straight pipe in their window and when i leave the line it actually hurt thier ears. when they get next to me all the can do is look straight ahead with both hand on the wheel. at that moment its almost as if they realize they arent better than some hillbilly in a diesel. kinda humbling or maybe they are scared. who knows.

i dont understand why people have a hard on for diesels? they are pretty clean running when properly maintained and left with stock configurations. but left wing nuts are constantly trying to make it harder and harder for OTR trucks and light dutys alike. the new urea tank and injection if an effen joke.

sorry i got on my soap box for some reason. dont mean to come across like a prick but this is a very hot subject for me

brett

8. Dec 19, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Magnolia, TX
    the company that i buy all my off road diesel from said what i stated. i understand the goverments requirements but most refinerys have began producing ULSD. LSD (500 ppm) has become incresingly hard to find. for a consumer buying diesel for thier dozer, tractor or ranch truck 9 times out of 10 it will be ULSD with a dye. the railroad, and marine industry are just about the only ones that should be able to get large quantites of LSD due to their large demand and alternate shipping methods (direct pipe line from refinery

hope this helps clear up confusion.

i havent noticed a significant change in visible soot clouds between LSD and ULSD. only difference is mpg in my application. the smoke is unburt fuel, once the turbo lights, assuming the turbo is large enough the smoke, will clear up. lugging a diesel will make it roll out as long as the tranny doesnt down shift in an auto too. a little shot of nitrous will help light the turbo also

brett

9. Dec 19, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    This.

Also, online petitions don't do shit except make people who sign the petition think they did something.

10. Dec 19, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    ULSD won't keep a truck from smoking and off road fuel is just regular diesel that has a dye in it.

There are still non-ULSD pumps in CA and that is where I try to go. The sulfer in the diesel helps lubricate the fuel system and the inside of the engine. This is why the older diesels are able to go 3 million miles because the diesel fuel lubricates the cylinder wall and the piston/rings whereas gasoline doesn't.

A properly tuned diesel truck will be fast, efficient, will pull great and will rarely pollute.

My truck is tuned to about 500hp and 1000ft-lbs of torque, runs a high 13 second 1/4-mile, tows great and still gets 19-20mpg at 8000lbs. If I wanted to I could get my truck to smoke but I don't and it takes some effort to get it to smoke...that is how it should be.

I didn't come on here trying to say that it's alright for diesel's to smoke because I hate all the douchebags that drive around blowing smoke everywhere they go just as much as any of you. I just want to get rid of the unscientific testing that they plan on using.

11. Dec 19, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Yes. A diesel jetta gets two or more times the mileage of its gas counterpart. Maybe if diesel's were more readily available in the States and everyone knew how advantageous they were and were not brainwashed against them, then maybe they wouldn't cost a lot more than their gas counterpart.

12. Dec 19, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

Coming from the construction industry, we purchased over 35k in off road diesel a week. I can attest that it is ALL ULSD. We actually had a problem with some of the older peices of equipment not running well with the new(er) ULSD so we introduce a sulfur additive into the diesel for these pieces of equipment. It might not be requiered (ULSD), but you are almost guarantied to get it.

13. Dec 19, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    SoCal Tom

SoCal Tom Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab
    Auto manufacturers have to consider many things when bringing a vehicle to market. Cost is definitely high on the priority list. It is simply more expensive to sell a diesel vehicle than a similar gas model. Sometimes there is a compelling reason to sell the deisel model anyway (MPG, towing capability, etc.).

In most cases the cost outweighs the benefits. This is why there aren't more diesel models available.

14. Dec 19, 2009 at 12:10 PM
    SoCal Tom

SoCal Tom Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab
    I'm in favor of cheap, clean cars. The best combination of those is still small displacement gas engines. Alternative fuel vehicles (diesel, hybrids, NGV, etc.) still have significant premiums attached.

15. Dec 21, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I'll pass. After reading the pdf I can agree with CA

16. Jan 2, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    WhatThePho?

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    Just got the Message from the BAR a few days ago at work, Beginning January 1, 2010. All diesel 1998 and newer with a GVWR of 14000 and less will be subject to a smog inspection.

Products Discussed in

To Top