1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco down!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cvillechopper, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Dec 20, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper [OP] Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    I was thinking about the "something solid" issue and unless icy snow qualifies, not a chance. It took me 10 minutes of digging to get the wheels close to pavement. I was completely stopped, stepped on the brake, and in neutral before I hit the locker. That being said, I'm convinced that it has something to do with the locker and that once the rear diff became stuck the rest of the drive train got stressed until the shaft broke so I'm going to have to insist with Toyota that they do a full check of the transmission, front diff, etc. Nothing we did was out of the ordinary, extremely strenuous for the truck (or shouldn't have been), or done in a reckless fashion. I had my wife in the truck with me so you know I was taking it easy.

I've also been thinking that the way Toyota handles this will determine if I chalk this up to unfortunate random issue or if I fall into the "2nd gens aren't worth it" crowd and look to trade this one in on a RAM 1500 or sell it to get a 1st gen. I bought the truck for use in these type situations and if I can't depend on it working like it should I will absolutely get rid of it. REALLY don't want to cause I love how it handles and what it has been able to do so far but am only as loyal to a brand as they earn with my personal experience. Here's hoping Toyota comes through and this is the last issue I'll have to use the warranty for.

2. Dec 20, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    Just got back from checking things out in the daylight. Nothing surprising. The diff is junked. Jacked both sides of the rear up and was able (with a little force at first) to get both tires rotating. Of course they only rotate in opposite directions so there's still no moving her. The drive shaft doesn't turn (manually) past the 15 to 20 degrees and I can't get it to turn further even when I spin the wheels at the same time.

Also, there are some very nasty noises coming from the front end when I give her any gas. The wheels spin on the ice freely at idle (since the rears are locked she won't move) but she starts bucking badly if I give her any gas and there is a loose metallic noise with the shudder. Gonna be a big ticket. Hope Toyota picks up the bill.

3. Dec 20, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    That really stinks. Hope you can get her off the road and to Toyota so they can get her all fixed up for you.

Isn't there a 1-800 number you can call to have them pick her up now, rather than having to wait?

4. Dec 20, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    Shit that sucks. it doesnt sound like anything out of normal operating limits.

Pics would be really helpful if you can

5. Dec 20, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Finally got some pics...

Driveshaft1_fe99160e074d066bc528bbdf89fa8d8579b80f6b.jpg

Driveshaft2_840eb1ef14fbc0df5a0e719688464d76f3ff45fc.jpg

Ugly. Also very disappointed at the very small diameter that appears to be what was holding these pieces together. Looks like about 1/8" actually tore (hard to see in the pic) in the center of the larger diameter. The rest of the face is very smooth. Looks like it was machined that way.

6. Dec 20, 2009 at 2:26 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Looks like the center bearing failed. So you didn't feel anything (like a strong vibration while accelerating) prior to this happening ?

7. Dec 20, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:

Nope. I had actually been posting on FB to a couple friends in the area how nicely the Taco handled the weather and for them to let me know if they needed to go out to get anything. Just jinxed myself I guess.

8. Dec 20, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    Looks like the diff seized and the drive line found the weakest link.

9. Dec 20, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Yep but I can't believe that the weakest link is the drive shaft. Can't imagine that the trans didn't take a beating, transfer case get banged up, etc to break a drive shaft. Unfortunately I didn't know that the shaft had broken for about 15 min of trying to get un-stuck so the front drive started sounding funny too. I'm going to ask for a complete drive-train replace / rebuild so I can feel confident that some other link isn't going to break in a year or 2 due to the stress it got yesterday.

10. Dec 20, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    i think you will have a hard time getting that covered under warranty. at least completely covered... for the most part, whether it was or wasn't, driveline damage such as that will almost always be pinned on driver abuse

11. Dec 20, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    im lost too
    zip it 1st gen guy. lol. leave the retarded 2nd gens alone.we have enough problems.

12. Dec 20, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Get a lawyer.

13. Dec 20, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    That is one of my concerns but the dealership I use is very fair so I'm hoping for the best right now cause my wife tells me I have to...

14. Dec 20, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    LMAO. 5 of my closest friends are lawyers and 3 of them are licensed in VA so I can get free consulting / strongly worded letters if necessary...

15. Dec 20, 2009 at 3:49 PM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    :popcorn:
    looks like this is gonna be a good one

16. Dec 20, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    x2 on that.

17. Dec 20, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
  18. Dec 20, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    wow, that's the first late model taco drive shaft that i've seen break!

edit: right now..lets say if the rear wheels were off the ground, can you spin the wheels? all this has me thinking, i wonder if you broke the rear ring and pinion gear and didn't know it. maybe a broken piece from the broken ring and pinion bound everything up inside the third member preventing the wheels from turning..you not knowing what was going on kept on the gas..something had to give...if that's the case, then i would be glad the the drive shaft did what it did. and not something else breaking like the trans or what not.

19. Dec 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Sounds to me like you rear end is fine. Atleast from my knowledge of my Chevelle, my rear wheels always rotate in opposite directions when spun by hand. Or am I missreading something in this thread? Which is very possible.

20. Dec 20, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    ^ no way haha..sounds like another rear ring and pinion bit the dust..

to the OP..do some research before you take it to the dealer. if the rear ring and pinion gears are broken you have a solid case to plead for warrenty...this is a common problem with our gen Tacomas and FJCruisors thats well documented between all of the toyota forums

Products Discussed in

To Top