1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Traction Issues Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by memario1214, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Dec 20, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Driver input and experience is a part of the equation, but a quality snow/ice radial makes all the difference in the world.

2. Dec 20, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad Magnetic Grey Met
    This too...

I got rid of the stock "rugged fails" before I hit 1000 miles... I would like to have an extra set of wheels with dedicated studded snow tires, but for now I have some Big O Bigfoot AT's that work great...

3. Dec 20, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    When you choose something for ballast, consider that it may try to join you in the cab in the event of an accident. Things like bricks, rocks or concrete block could become deadly projectiles.

Yes and yes. IME proper snow/ice tires make a huge difference. (Not all season tires - tires designed specifically for traction on ice and snow.)

4. Dec 20, 2009 at 9:01 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I have to agree somewhat. I also have noticed quite a few threads about driving in snow and ice. And some of the comments have been interesting. Like the one who stated he only put his truck in 4x4 to get started then back to 2wd - What?????.
    If the conditions call for 4hi," like my back end started sliding on the snow/ice ", put it in 4x4 and leave it untill the conditions no longer make your truck slide or lose traction. Its a 4 wheel drive truck, thats what its designed for !! One of the biggest factors are the tires. If your running the stock tires, guess what, they suck in the snow. That why i got a set of Duratrac's install on my truck before the snow came. I have had no issues driving in the snow and ice covered roads. Third, driving in snow and on ice is only learned by experience. the more you have the better you will be, and that still doesnt mean you wont still lose it one day. But to say that these trucks are not good in the winter is a crock. tacos are some of the best winter driving vehicles around, and im sure most would agree to that. So if your having problems driving in the winter, get better tires, use your 4x4 more often , and get some experience driving in it.

[​IMG]

Try these, they have been working great in the snow!

5. Dec 21, 2009 at 12:04 AM
    S-M-R-T

S-M-R-T Well-Known Member

Member:
    I equate driving in the snow/ice with all season tires to driving after a few drinks. Sure you think that you are in control and you have done it for years and years without a problem. Yada yada... that doesn't mean it isn't f**king stupid.

Yes driving style is a huge factor but so is driving a properly equipped vehicle.

6. Dec 21, 2009 at 2:59 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Drove 350 miles through the big storm Friday night. No problems at all and I haven't driven in snow/ice in almost 10 years. Janster is right, the driver is the largest factor.

7. Dec 21, 2009 at 3:56 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    My 2010 is far more capable in deeper snow and packed snow in 2WD than my 2000 was. In 4WD it is even better. No problems here. Was out playing yesterday after the storm here. FUN!

8. Dec 21, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    newfie8

newfie8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Tinted windows all around. Fog lights. Intermittent wiper switch. Skid plate. Extra D rings. Grillcraft. Color matched grill. Hella 500ff HID behind grillcraft. Rcbs204 Lighting. 5100's up front. 265/75/16 Duratracs.Firestone riderites. Bora Wheel spacers. Tinted tails. De badged. Blacked out rims.
    Anybody living in regions that get a lot of snow and are still running stock Dunlops are asking for trouble. I had to make a two hour run one night the winter before i got my snow tires on and the roads were pretty slushy and let me tell ya it was pretty scary even when the truck was in 4x4.

9. Dec 21, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    cole47

cole47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Hickory NC
    Vehicle:
    Ray of Sunshine
    lift, wheels, tires
    I have a 1st gen prerunner and it didnt make it out of the driveway till yesterday....and that was being towed my a 77 k10......in 2wd!

10. Dec 21, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    Couple thoughts:

1. Tires matter. Want winter traction? Get a well-siped tire with soft tread compound. I run Firestone Winterforce studded tires as narrow as possible.

2. Put weight in the bed to hold the rear down, as others have mentioned. 300lbs of tube sand goes a long way.

3. 4x4 is there if you need it, but driving a RWD vehicle in winter is a good skill to master. Be featherlight on the throttle, keep your RPMs low, and always listen to what the rear end is telling you.

Dave

11. Dec 21, 2009 at 7:53 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I have not had too many problems that were not caused by driving too fast for the conditions. I have found just slowing down, airing down and anticipating what the truck will do have cured most of the problems for me on hard packed ice/snow or in the deep fluffy powder, and this is with the stock Dunlop tires. :)

12. Dec 21, 2009 at 8:01 AM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab, TRD offroad
    I see 2x2 trucks, rear wheel drive cars w/ no trac. control driving in the same conditions as me and they seem to do just fine without 4x4. Proof it is all in the driver.
    4x4 helps you get going quicker, but the 5.0 mustang beside me eventually catches up by the next stop light.
    If Im in 4hi, then I can assure you I'm not running 55 mph, because its probably slick out!

13. Dec 21, 2009 at 8:02 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I had no problems this morning with my Tacoma. I do not run sand bags either. I just take my time and try not to make any sudden turns, starts or stops.

Follow at a safe distance especially if the person in front of you does not know how to drive on the ice and snow.

14. Dec 21, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    z33tec

z33tec Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    2x2? Is that like an AWD motorcycle? :D

15. Dec 21, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member: