1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Silver owners: anyone having trouble with their paint?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lunercrab, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Jul 9, 2008 at 9:29 PM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    Ok so i have an 06 silver sport, and i'm getting these "stains" on my front bumper...it seems like any sort of "yellow" hued object (tree sap/bird droppings/bugs) that gets onto my bumper, leaves little orange stains on it...if this stuff falls anywhere else onto the body, it doesn't do that, just the front bumper...is the paint on the bumper different then the metal?...could it just be a paint defect? should i be complaining to toyota?...i've tried everything to remove them too...even the body shop guy tried to remove them with some heavy duty polish and he can't understand why they're there

here's a pic of what they look like:
    IMG00098_d36497da9dacf8cff40ce8ed859a4751fcd611dc.jpg

anyone else have this problem?

2. Jul 9, 2008 at 9:37 PM
    deadbolt

deadbolt do w3rk!

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab 6spd 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Black Headlights, HIDs, Tinted Fogs, Powdercoated Black Wheels, 5100s @ 2.5", Diff drop, AFE Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Black Emblems/Grille, LED Tail lights, 265/75/16s Good Year Duratracs
    i just washed my car 2 hours ago and saw that exact stain. what a coincidence!
    mine was on the front bumper also and it didnt come off..

3. Jul 9, 2008 at 9:41 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    exactly, it's a PITA...i've tried a claybar, scratch X (which is supposed to remover some clear coat), heavy duty polish, alchohol...you name it i've tried it...it's sooo frustrating...i wonder why it stains so easily :mad:

4. Jul 9, 2008 at 9:44 PM
    deadbolt

deadbolt do w3rk!

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    Black Headlights, HIDs, Tinted Fogs, Powdercoated Black Wheels, 5100s @ 2.5", Diff drop, AFE Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Black Emblems/Grille, LED Tail lights, 265/75/16s Good Year Duratracs
    yahh. I didn't think much of it when I saw it as I was washing my car. Sorta forgot about it but now that you pointed it out. I think ill be super paranoid now. haha. ill try taking it off tomorrow with different stuff.

5. Jul 9, 2008 at 10:12 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    well if ya find something that works let me know :thumbsup:

6. Jul 9, 2008 at 10:19 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I don't have the staining problem "yet", but the paint on my front bumper chips really easy. I swear, if I am going down the 101 frwy at 65 mph and hit a moth, it chips. Come to think of it, when cleaning my truck and washing off the bugs it does leave some sort of residue or a chip. Looking at one of my chips I touched up with silver mica touch up paint, their are quite a few coats of paint on my front bumper. This 1 chip I have is pretty deep. I will have to post a picture of it. Another thing I noticed today on my rear bumper is that they are cheap as shit! I was getting out of my bed and stepped on the left end of the bumper and that thing flexed like their was no tomarrow! I tried it on my 2000 prerunner and that sucker is solid! I guess to get 20 mph to the gallon the really skimped on anything heavy duty to cut down on weight. If they made the 2004 prerunner as big as the 2nd generation trucks but left everything elese the same(beefy) Like a truck should be I would go buy one tonight! Oh well, I guess you have to sacerfice somewhere and some things!....:eek:

7. Jul 10, 2008 at 12:35 PM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    i have a 08 tacoma the paint and the clear coat were chiping by the fog lights
    Lights were hiting on the bumber Guys go look at yours i saw orthers at the dealer
    also doing the same thing

8. Jul 10, 2008 at 1:28 PM
    Taco969

Taco969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I also have to same staining on my 08 silver d-cab.

9. Jul 10, 2008 at 1:52 PM
    SilverMac

SilverMac Mine's the silver one...

Member:
    Keller, TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner DC SR5
    Nothing yet to complain about on mine (bought it 10/07) as far as the paint goes. As a matter of fact, I took the family for a 3 hour drive through the Fossil Rim nature preserve yesterday, and a damned Prong Horn rammed into the side of my truck when the kids stopped throwing food at it. I figured it dented it or at least scratched the hell out of it... but to my suprise, nothing!:D

10. Jul 10, 2008 at 2:13 PM
    Jester182

Jester182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08' Taco SR5 Double Cab - Indigo Ink
    Single-din Sony Xplod, SnugTop SL, AFE Pro Dry
    I guess your Taco is as tough as they are on the commercials! :D

11. Jul 10, 2008 at 2:32 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    YOU BET I HAD THE PROBLEM, real pain in the a*#. I took it to the dealer, and they basically said "to bad, to sad" and I needed to start cleaning my truck more. Pissed me off so bad I filed a complaint with Corp. via e-mail and a standard typed letter.
    Needless to say the dealer called back in a week or so and told me to bring it in, they repainted the whole front bumper. I quess they lost their 5 star rating for awhile because of it.
    But hey, they treated me like crap, and I told the managers, and the owner that.
    As for the cause.....when I noticed it after a very short trip, their were bugs right over the area's. Now if this caused it, don't know. But I am glad it is fixed.

12. Jul 10, 2008 at 2:36 PM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    My silver-streak-mica regular-cab has flat black plastic bumpers and wheel-well trim, not the painted variety. But I've noticed on other vehicles that the paint they use on plastic parts has different properties from the paint used on metal, and I'm guessing that something in the formula makes it a little less durable and more easily chipped and stained.

13. Jul 10, 2008 at 2:36 PM
    deadbolt

deadbolt do w3rk!

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    I think it is due to the bugs. But I have only had my truck for little over a month and if thats the case, my truck will be all yellow within the next year.

14. Jul 10, 2008 at 2:39 PM
    topdec

topdec Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a white 07 and had the same problem with paint stains. Mine was not just on the front bumper, but all around the lower half of the truck. I think it's oxidation.

I used Meguiar's cleaner wax last weekend. I waxed the whole truck at first. As I was removing the hazed wax, I rubbed in a second coat on the affected areas. That solved it.

15. Jul 10, 2008 at 3:04 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    I get the same stains and when I use a cleaner wax, that usually takes care of it.

16. Jul 10, 2008 at 3:58 PM
    flyinn

flyinn Active Member

Member:
    P-Town
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma 4X4 TRD off Road
    Magnaflow exhaust
    Have an 09 silver. Hoped they changed all that (probably not). Maybe it has something to do with the primer used over the plastic? Anyway I am getting clear bra put on tomorrow.

17. Jul 10, 2008 at 4:30 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Clear bra....:thumbsup:

18. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:43 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    well it's going to the body shop in two weeks cause i'm having my upper and lower grill color matched with the truck from a family member...i pointed them out to him and he might touch those up for me as well...i thought about a clear bra, but where do you get them?

19. Jul 10, 2008 at 10:08 PM
    flyinn

flyinn Active Member

Member:
    P-Town
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma 4X4 TRD off Road
    Magnaflow exhaust
    Most dealers will have somebody that does it. The toyota dealer that I got my truck from wanted $800 to do it! I took it over the the chevy place next door and paid $425 including some custom work done on the rear fenders. Looks great.

20. Jul 10, 2008 at 11:50 PM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    +2...got the clear bra installed a week after I bought the truck, no issues. Now if only I would have cleared the rocker panels, tail gate, hood, doors....I'd have no paint defects!

Products Discussed in

To Top