1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

sockets for emergeny kit?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by bmgreene, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Dec 21, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    bmgreene

bmgreene [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    I'm putting together a small emergeny kit for my 2010 PreRunner V6, and was wondering what socket sizes are the important ones to have (mainly wonder if there's any I need beyond the common 8, 10, 14 and 17 mm that seem to make up about 90+% of the bolts on most imports).

I've already got the following:
    4" screwdrivers (std & phillips)
    one giant std screwdriver that'll work as a prybar/tensioner as well
    8" slip-joint pliers
    7" vicegrips
    3/4" wrench (for my Hi-lift)
    metric combo wrench set (6,7,8,10,12,13,14,17mm)

I'm planning on adding a pair of 6" needle-nose, a stubby ratcheting screwdriver set a rubber mallet and a small selection of sockets with a ratchet and a couple extensions and a leatherman-type multi tool.

Past that, the fatory tire tools and recovery gear (hi-lift with winching kit, chocks, straps, shackles, chain, flashlight and at least 1 jackstand), is there anything I'd be likely to need in order to do basic fixes in a pinch?

2. Dec 21, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Make sure you have a couple different extensions, and both deep well and shallow sockets. Not sure about the most common sizes are for 2nd gen though. I keep a miriad of tools in the toolbox. I even keep my impact drill in there. But for basics, it looks like you have a good start.

3. Dec 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    kws129

kws129 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Just make sure you have some of the less "common" metric socket sizes. 12mm for sure, 14mm 16mm, & 17mm come to mind.

4. Dec 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    thanks for the quick responses.

I'm hoping to keep the kit to what will fit in a surplus mechanic bag (11x6x7), but I'm sure when I need a tire change I'll be wishing I had an impact gun (probably not enough to justify the $200+ price tag for a tool that I have no day-to-day use for.

I'm leaning toward a single rail of selected sockets over a cheap little kit 'cause it'll allow for carrying both short and deep walls without taking up too much space and because I already have 3 decent 3/8" handles and 2 3/8" breaker bars in my home kit and one of each could be contributed to the cause.

Just realized I should probably also add a set of metric allen wrenches and a spark plug socket in there.

Any idea what size plugs the new Tacos are using?

5. Dec 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    dont forget a bag of jerkey. just incase :thumbsup:

6. Dec 21, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    Also will need a set of mechanix gloves, maybe a couple of chem lights.

7. Dec 21, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    I've been meaning to pick up a dogbone wrench to carrry under a back seat. It seems like it offers a lot of versatility in a compact tool - not as useful as a socket set, but better than nothing.

8. Dec 21, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    If you can find one of the "Grow an ASE Certified Mechanic" that would be good as well. You just have to add water. Only drawback is you have to have deionized water or he won't expand to full size.

9. Dec 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Get out/oot of here post whore!:D

There are places it can get to that a socket wrench can't.

10. Dec 21, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    I have heard that. good point. I just don't have the $ to get one right now.

11. Dec 21, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    LostRebel

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    lol - It's "out." I'm actually s out h of you. :D Don't tell the Canadians. I'm undercover.

12. Dec 21, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    LostRebel

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Great to know! I'll be going to AutoZone.

13. Dec 21, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    gloves are already in there (need 'em for recovery also) and I was planning on a 2-D LED Maglite but a couple chemlites as backup are a great idea since they don't have a shelf-life like batteries do. Can't believe I forgot duct tape

I hadn't thought to throw in a dogbone, but that's a great call also.

re: silverback - I hadn't thought to have the diff drain covered since I hadn't planned on carrying gear oil on the trail, and figured if the diff's dry I'm not driving out of wherever. Is drain/fill of the diff really a "field" repair?

14. Dec 21, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    I would bring a whole other truck if I could afford it.

15. Dec 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Taco's in general I think. Toyota is expensive no matter what the parts. :(

16. Dec 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    This one is sort of my "trail rig". I'll be using it for occasional hauling and maybe a bit of towing as well, and it's doing DD duty lately to get some break-in mileage on it, but I've got a little coupe that'll do me just fine on the blacktop. I tried looking used originally, but all the used 2nd gens seemed to be going for almost as much as I paid for brand new (it also seemed like 80% of the used tacos in my area were X-Runners which were completely unsuited for what I wanted).

I might get a little ambitious for a 2-by when it comes to trails, but I'm not planning on doing any really hard-core wheeling or rock crawling. I just don't want to end up stranded with something I could patch up myself for lack of a passable field kit. Hoping to not have to deal with a broken axle, but I'd probably be willing to accept a tow out and get something at that level done in a real shop.

17. Dec 21, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    what's the drying/cure time on those "punch" type patchers (kits usually have a T-handle and some stringy-looking patches with some glue)? I haven't seen one used in person in almost 20 years, and when I had nail-holes patched at a tire shop a few years back I left either the wheel or the truck at the shop for the better part of the day.

Also, do you know of any type of self-sealing goop that works decently (obviously at some point the capability of anything will be overwhelmed)and won't screw up the TPMS units? My RX-8 comes with a bottle of goop and a compressor in place of a spare, but I'm not sure if that's intended to sacrifice the sender in the name of mobility.

18. Dec 27, 2009 at 10:48 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I can confirm what Silverback wrote about the tubless tire plug kits. You can air them up and drive around immediately after plugging the hole. Also it isn't even necessary to have all the air out the tire when you plug it. I carry a kit in my truck. Here is a link to a thread about Tire plug kits

[​IMG]

19. Jan 5, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    OK, I'm probably a little overboard with the toolkit at this point, but I've got everything together and feel like I could just about disassemble and reassemble most of the truck on the trail if need be (including possibly rigging a makeshift engine hoist with my hi-lift and a strong tree, although why I'd ever want to pull the engine on the trail is inconcievable).

Now I'm wondering about any particular parts or bits of hardware that might be particularly likely to come in handy. I've got a couple 25' rolls of mechanic's wire, WD40, some electrical wire (with a handful of various crimp-on connectors) and both electrical and duct tape. I'm thinking it'd probably be worthwhile to have a couple replacement U-bolts and at least one spare U-joint on hand (are all the U-joints in the driveline interchangable on the 2nd gen?), but I'm wondering if damage to the steering system is likely and if those joints can be repaired/replaced in the field.

20. Jan 5, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    cooler an a six pack of bud light... at least that is what i want when i break down. helps me deal with the problem at hand better, after drinking the six pack at least.

Products Discussed in

To Top