1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

automatcentral tail light tint review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by tacomaman06, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Jan 9, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 [OP] Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    ok..........props for automatcentral for letting us try products out and seeing how good they are.

got my tail light tint kit in yesterday, and took it out of the box. it comes with a 24inx24in sheet of film,a squeegee, and directions:

[​IMG]

the light lenses and film need to be around room temp, and its cold as crap here, so i took them off my truck and took them apart, washed in warm water with dawn dish soap and dried.

[​IMG]

now.....onto the install..........and just gonna go ahead and say, it didnt go too well. first, there is adequate enough tint for 2 lights, and you still have a good amount left over, but my lenses are way too curvy for this film.

as you can see, these lenses have some deep curves and such.

[​IMG]

i cut the sheet of film in half for each light,and tried that way, and then i cut those sheets in half to try to do the top and bottom, but that dint work either....no matter how much heat/soapy water i used, it just simply would not hold in the curves. the best part where the film actually stuck on these lenses was the flattest parts on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

finally, after trying everything i could for 4 hours on the one lens, i gave up, as the lens was just too curvy for tint.

overall.......a pretty good product, but i would highly recommend that the film kit wont work that great on really curvy lights, but should be fine for a more flat type light, such as the older first gens and maybe the 2nd gens, as they arent no where near as curvy as my lenses.

pricewise, im not really sure i'd want to pay quite as much as they cost, i'd probably rather use a more permanent spray tint, but thats just my opinion.

2. Jan 9, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Thanks for the review will, i will take whatever you have left over lol.

3. Jan 10, 2010 at 12:12 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    VHT Nite Shades for sure. And you actually don't need clear...

4. Jan 10, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah, if i decide to tint them, ill go with vht. but.......when i had my lenses off, i noticed one of them had a good crack in it...not all the way thru, but seems like a good excuse now for a new set of tails!!:D

5. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    I know someone who is gonna love to hear that! :D

6. Jan 13, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    :D

she already heard it...and i got the normal roll her eyes deal.

7. Jan 13, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  8. Jun 17, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    Down In A Hole

Down In A Hole Active Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab Limited Pre-Runner 2wd
    De-badged. Air-raid air intake. Magnaflow muffler. Clear front corners. 6700 HID headlights.
    I used VHT night shade spray. Took off the tail lights and taped off the areas I didn't want sprayed. I actually left the middle clear area un-sprayed. It turned out really nice and Looked really good but then as time went on the paint came off. Eventually it came off completely and looks stock again. I did VHT spray on another car before my tacoma and it never came off. So I don't know what the deal was this time. Didn't use any other paints with it this time or originally. I want to do it again but I'm worried the same will result. I wonder if weather had something to do with it? Who knows.

Products Discussed in

To Top