1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cap vs. Toolbox - got an opinion?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by putawaywet, Jan 10, 2010.

?

Cap, box, or other?

Poll closed Feb 9, 2010.
  1. Go for the cap!

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Go for the toolbox!

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Go to hell! (and read my suggestion below)

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. Jan 10, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    putawaywet

putawaywet [OP] Yaris Offroader

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    I'm looking at either a cap or a toolbox for my new 2010 AC 4x4. In the past, I've had one or the other at various times. I love the cap when it's raining, when I need to lock large items in for security, and to haul the dog in the summer. I hate the cap whenever I need to put something tall in the bed or load a lot of stuff in/out of the bed for work. The toolbox is great for organizing tools and keeping smaller stuff dry, but provides no shelter when working outside in the rain. It allows me to still access the bed from the sides, but shortens the overall useable bed. And of course there's the price difference - a Weatherguard aluminum box is ~$600, a Leer 100XL cap is ~$1600. As I'm thinking through the options and coming to a decision any thoughts / insight offered is much appreciated :)

:popcorn:

2. Jan 10, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    ryanf

ryanf Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    I'd go with a cap.....And here's why.

I have a Tool box, and i love it, but can't put the muts back there. and I have the long bed so i still have lots of room, and a huge trailer for bigger things.
    seems like a cap is a better option and you can get a toolbox for 240 at lowes. ive had mine in for a yr and not a single issue ( and im in and out of it all day)

3. Jan 10, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    you don't need a toolbox...you have the AC...put stuff back there....i really don't like the look of the cap but at least you could take it on and off...i keep tools and jumper cables, etc. behind the seat in my reg cab inside a backpack....

4. Jan 10, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    misterquad

misterquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    You hit all the pros and cons of a cap. I had 3 caps and 2 toolboxes and 1 bedcover. In my opinion, if you can get the cap on and off when you need to, it beats a toolbox.

The hardest problem I had to overcome was being able to take it on and off easily and quickly by myself. Assuming you have a spot to do this, I take the cap off using a picnic table. I put the wide side of a picnic table behind the truck and slide the cap off the truck bedrails onto the picnic table. I lay on my back in the bed and leg press the cap roof up from the inside and gently transfer it to the picnic. I reverse the steps to put it back. It sounds goofy but since I don't have anyone around to help I had to improvise. And it only takes 15 minutes each way.

5. Jan 10, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    putawaywet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    Good points, for sure. I do like the cap for working in the rain - I take my tailgate off and use the rear door as a canopy. There's nothing worse than trying to write in a field book in the rain, except maybe trying to label sample jars with a sharpie in the rain. That being said, who knows how long I'll have my current job.

Also, thanks for the go to hell responses! Gotta keep my head from getting too big, now that I have delay wipers in a vehicle for the first time in 16 years :p

6. Jan 10, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    My taco is my first truck (SUV man). I was wondering the same thing. Ended up with a tool box, held my first aid kit and tools, things like that. Did it well too. But... I was a bit worried about security of things in my back end - groceries, etc. Seemed like I needed to put stuff in my backseat (I drive a DC) if I wanted to do more than 1 stop.

So I bought a tonneau off Craigslist. Yesterday, actually. Haven't tried it much. But it's a Lund Genesis tri-fold, if that helps. I can now swap between the 2 in about 5 minutes, by myself. I plan on keeping the box probably for summer, when I'll be using the cargo space more than now in the winter.

Plus, at $150 for a truck box and $200 for the tonneau, I've spent the same as getting a new tonneau, with a bit more flexibility.

7. Jan 10, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    Switchback

Switchback Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 Mag Grey SR 4wd SX
    one of your pros for the toolbox can now a days be a pro for a cap as well. many companies are offering the option of an opening "win-door" which lets you access the full length of the bed from outside. something to think about. good luck with your decision.

here's a shot of mine (this is an ARE cap):

[​IMG]

8. Jan 10, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    abs

abs Member

Member:

I voted for cap but after I noticed this I should change my response to:
    "go to hell" and just buy a rite-in-the-rain field book it is cheaper than a cap.:D

Seriously though look at the ARE V series. Same warr as more expensive options. Also the sides of the shell do not wrap over the sides of the bed rail. I went for this because if I ever want to build an over the cap rack then I do not have to notch the shell for the rack supports to sit under the shell on the bed rails.

If you get a shell look at the options available. I liked the wired light, the windoors, the front window that drops down.

IF going with ARE get a quote from dealer. Then go to ARE website and register for coupon/rebate. Take that to the dealer to get extra $$ off.

9. Jan 10, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I had a tool box on my old f150. It took up needed bed space for my atv. Between the two I'd much rather a cap. The tool box could't fit a lot of gear anyways to keep it out of the rain.

A tonneau is my first choice. You can get a lot of stuff inside there to protect it from the rain, snow, etc. It'd easy to remove and easy to put back on. No drilling, bolting, etc. Cheaper then a cap as well

10. Jan 10, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Where do I vote for " Buy Both " , get a chest tool box that will open with the cap on or you could look at the Leer 100RCC which has the windoors that Switchback mentions but you can also spec factory mounted toolboxes behind each of the side windoors , just my 2 cents ,

There is a video of the 100RCC cap at the Leer site here http://www.leer.com/site/?site=1&d=15&dt=25

OZ

11. Jan 10, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    putawaywet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    That does look like a hell of an option, OZ, thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

Now to find out how much it costs...

12. Jan 10, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Let me know what your quote is down south , I got mine quoted up here in BC and would like to know what the " Sold in Canada " upcharge actually is ,

OZ

13. Jan 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Any news on $ ?

14. Jan 15, 2010 at 3:56 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Toolbox. I don't care much for the way a Tacoma looks with a cap.

15. Jan 15, 2010 at 4:18 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I like them both. Personal preference in my opinion. I tended to be a bit lazy with caps I've had in the past. Even though it only takes 15 seconds to open it and 15 minutes to remove it, I still found myself using the storage space significantly less than an open bed. It's nice to walk up to your truck with your arms full and throw your shit in the back without fiddling with keys. Therefore, I'm now a tool box man. A nice safe place to keep tools and recovery gear with an open bed for storage. Best of both worlds IMO.

16. Jan 15, 2010 at 4:23 AM
    putawaywet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    No price update yet, sorry. Hopefully soon.

Products Discussed in

To Top