1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locker or ReGear??

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by sandman427, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Jan 19, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    You dont need 2x4's when you get stuck. Just do your Egyptian Sphynx dance to save you.

2. Jan 19, 2010 at 11:28 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    thats if the 2x4s dont work right ahahaha

3. Jan 19, 2010 at 11:29 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    What do you have the 2x4's for? To set under the tire?

4. Jan 19, 2010 at 11:32 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    no to clobber u when u get close to my cousins haha....

5. Jan 19, 2010 at 11:32 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    That's when you press the locker switch!

6. Jan 19, 2010 at 11:34 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    hahahaha clobber? I thought that was a white people word....not Egyptians!
    Way to rub it in :p

7. Jan 19, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    u know it...

8. Jan 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    ay so i did some digging and called around... i found that i can do the locker and gearing at the same time for aboud 1200$.... its the electric ones that i assume come stock with the TRD offroad.... what u guys think....??? or should i go arb...??? and then also whats the difference between the electric one and the air compressed one...??

9. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    If you go with an air locker your gonna have to run an OBA (on board air setup) which will run you a few hundred dollars more depending on what size tank you get. I think an OBA setup is sweet, but thats only cuz I wanna run train horns on my truck.

The air locker works by creating pressure in the differential which pushes the gears together and locks them. The air would be coming from your OBA. Not sure but (anyone) does this require running a dual battery setup as well?

The electronic locking differential is still a mystery to me, maybe someone can chime in here.

10. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    thanks manny... i was looking around and it seems that its the same as the ones that come with it on the off road package.... what would be better is worth the extra money for the tank or not...???

11. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
  12. Jan 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    elocker has a similar mech but works with a electric motor which turns a pinion gear that moves a rack to engage the locker mech.

This is a pic of the motor with the pinion...
    [​IMG]

13. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    paul... what is better as far as dependability... im trying to figure out if its worth the 250 300$ more for the arb one...???

14. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    ARB's have a great history and focused execution. The eaton (toyota) company certainly knows gears as well. My choice would be an ARB.,. but I'm not doing that anytime soon.

One other point, the ARB insalled in a 8.4 (approx diameter in inches of the ring gear) axle (I assume your axle is an 8.4) would be stronger than a 8.0 axle that the eLocker is configured in.

Amir, I am sure you know this by now but, if you are going to go through the hassle of changing your gears and or install a locker - You should do both at once. If you choose not to do anything, you can still have a lot of fun with your truck! In lieu of that 'investment', research this board the Internet, military information, etc. to understand the technical aspects of vehicle recovery. You can be the best at it! :D

Bill Burke told a story during our recent outing that truly drove this point home... He told a story where a truck was 'yanking' a car out of a mire and the ball hitch that they were yanking with shot off and decapitated the driver of the car! :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    yea deff thats what i plan on doing... i have been doing as much research as possible on which locker to get... but i will deff do them both.... thanks again for all the help paul... i appreciate it....

Products Discussed in

To Top