1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locker and gear questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AZtacoma05, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jan 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    AZtacoma05

AZtacoma05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Hey all

This is my first post although I have been using this forum for help with my truck for awhile now so thank you to everyone as i have gotten a ton of very helpful information here.

So I'm planning on installing an ARB locker and a new set of gears, hopefully early this summer, and had a few questions. I have already installed an ARB OB compressor (install was a PIA BTW but worth saving the $300 install price) and will have the locker installed this summer. Since I'm doing the locker I figured I'll just have a new set of gears installed as the same time. So here are my questions:

I have 2005 Tacoma PreRunner V6 with 265/70/R17's (about 31.6")

1. Whats my stock gear ratio?
    2. Is it worth going up to 4.56?
    3. What brand of gears should i go with? (was looking at the All Pro ones for $200)
    4. I also want to put in an air tank, is that going to affect the locker in any way? (If I have both hooked up to the compressor but don't have an additional switch to air up the tank is it going to take forever for the locker to lock?)
    5. I'm probably going to end up running the air lines myself but I live in Phoenix, AZ and was wondering if there a more durable air line that I can put in that I won't have to replace every year?
    6. I got quoted $500 for the install on the gears and locker at the same time, good price?

Thanks for any advice!!!

2. Jan 20, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    1. Whats my stock gear ratio?

2. Is it worth going up to 4.56?

Yes

3. What brand of gears should i go with? (was looking at the All Pro ones for $200)

That would work... I think Yukon is the only company making them at 4.56. All Pro is also a good place to pick up the locker.

4. I also want to put in an air tank, is that going to affect the locker in any way? (If I have both hooked up to the compressor but don't have an additional switch to air up the tank is it going to take forever for the locker to lock?)

as long as you can deliver 80 psi to the locker - you may have to have a minimum of 80 psi in your tank. Could be a drag if when starting out your tank was at 30 psi and you had to wait until the tank was up to 80 psi. You may be able to isolate the tank when when using the locker - that way you wouldn't have that problem. Then again if you have the tank at or above 80 psi and below (I think) 108 psi, you should have no problem since the volume of air required to lock the locker is pretty minimal.

Edit: You could isolate the tank by a simple valve that you turn by hand. Otherwise if you wanted to be like something we would see on Silverbacks (silverback07) - you would probably get a solenoid that would isolate the tank remotely.

5. I'm probably going to end up running the air lines myself but I live in Phoenix, AZ and was wondering if there a more durable air line that I can put in that I won't have to replace every year?

Sorry about you having to live in AZ ;) Some people use s/s lines but if you route it properly, you should have no problems - Class 8 trucks use that line every day.

6. I got quoted $500 for the install on the gears and locker at the same time, good price?

Write em the check - that's fair.

One other thing - I would suggest you look into East Coast Gear Supply. The beauty is you get a 3rd member in a 5 gal pail shipped to your home. You install the 3rd member, ship back your core. Free shipping. Best of all 5 year warranty (I think limited to the diameter of the tire you run) - plus I think the owner is a good guy that will help you out. To that point it's my opinion that All Pro is a great company with great management - meaning if you have a problem - it will be solved. Much different than some of the places pushing parts.

3. Jan 20, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    im doing the same pretty soon too!!!!! lol... man paul u are the man...!!!

4. Jan 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    AZtacoma05

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Sweet! Thanks for the fast response and info!!

I will deffinantly look into East Coast Gear Supply, could you explain the advantage of the 3rd member a bit? I'm not all that familiar with the gearing. Also am I going to need a different size or anything special a far as the gears go because I'm switching to the ARB differential?

P.S. AZ's not to bad lol I've got snow 2 hrs north in Flagstaff and great rock climbing all around me :).. oh ya and none of that daylights savings time BS haha.. So Cal would be nice tho lol

5. Jan 20, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    AZtacoma05

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD Off Road
  6. Jan 20, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I was kidding about living there. I went to school there for 5 years - it is a GREAT state!

Regarding third member - this thing -
    [​IMG]

Here's a link to East Coast elocker - and one for the 8 w/o locker

If you are handy with a wrench - this isn't a beginner task but if you have been wrenching for a while you can save money and know more about your truck.

7. Jan 20, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Do yourself a favor and call them and talk directly with them about what you want to do and tell him I said I was more than satisfied with my experience! :cool:

8. Jan 20, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    AZtacoma05

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD Off Road
    haha perfect man thanks a ton.. I will for sure give them a call within the next couple of days. I may not get to it tmrw cause my wilderness rack and hella lights should be coming tmrw and I might be a little busy getting it all set up :).

Thanks again!

9. Jan 20, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    No worries and welcome.