1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cruise control -- very weird thing happened

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BenWA, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Jun 1, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    BenWA

BenWA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    I was just driving along in my '06 DC (automatic transmission) on a gentle incline at about 30 mph, coasting towards a stop sign with the cruise control turned on (but I'm 99.99% sure that it was not set/engaged) when out of nowhere the truck kicked down (as if I had stomped fully on the accelerator) apparently by itself....it lurched from whatever gear it had been in to low gear with the tach needle flying up to redline. The only thing is, my foot was not on the gas pedal when this happend because I was coasting to the stop sign...!?!?!?! It totally caught me off guard, so I panicked (as there was traffic stopped at the stop sign not far in front of me) and I stomped on the brake and everything was hunky dory after that. But WTF happened?? It scared the crap outta me. Has anyone heard of such a thing happening?? It was as if the cruise control computer had been "told" to accelerate to maximum. Was it some kind of freak computer bug or something?

The acceleration was so sudden and violent that I'm paranoid that it damaged my transmission or something.

2. Jun 1, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    I don't even use my cruise control because of this. Let's just say I have my cruise set at 55 mph and I have to pass a vehicle. So I run her up to 65 to get around. Then I take my foot off the gas pedal (cruise is still set). Instead of re-engaging at 55, speed will continue to drop until it is below 50, then it will drop down to 3rd gear, just about red line just to get back up to 55. The speeds have been changed to protect the not so innocent. I mean, who really sets their cruise at 55?

3. Jun 1, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    Usually to prevent what you describe from happening, I disengage the CC, speed up, pass the vehicle, then slow down to whatever speed I was at before and then re-engage the CC while driving at a constant speed.

But in the case that I described above in my OP, the CC was not engaged to begin with -- it was as if it engaged itself, and decided that it wanted to accelerate at max output without me telling it to do so. It was freaky!

4. Jun 1, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    Yeah, your deal isn't quite what I've experienced. But I think it's a lame ass excuse for a cruise control. I haven't used mine in years.

5. Jun 1, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    ofrd4fun

ofrd4fun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4
    FJ Cruiser wheels, air bags, 5100's @1.75, TC UCA's, bi-xenon HID's
    I very rarely use mine anymore either. I have the automatic and any time I came to a hill instead of dropping down a gear as the load on the motor increased it would slow down and then drop two or three gears and redline to catch up to the previous speed.

Totally f'n irritating.

6. Jun 2, 2009 at 3:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've used mine a lot over a 9 mile drive to work everyday and sometimes it's ON but in 'cancel' mode (so to speak). I've never had any weird things happen.

Was there any chance that you accidentally bumped the stalk to 'set' it? Although with mine - it doesn't set unless you hold the stalk down for atleast one second.

7. Oct 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Ben, you ever get this figured out? I saw a video on Youtube about a lawsuit towards Toyota about these trucks "lurching" unexpectedly. You might have a case on your hands if A: You want to pursue it, and B: It has happened more than once. Just my 0.02

8. Oct 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    Huh. Was the video you saw related to the floor mat recall? Or was it related to something else? Do you happen to remember the name of the video?

No, I never did figure out what happened. Although one time since that first incident happened I had my cruise control engaged at a low speed (like 35 mph) and as I started to go up a hill, basically the same thing happened again -- it downshifted to first and redlined to regain its target speed (if you want to see what it's like, I'm sure you could reproduce it by setting your cc at 35 then approach an uphill and let it go berzerk).

In the first incident, the only thing I can think of is that I either accidentally or unconsciously set my cruise control as my speed was decaying while coast up a grade and it did the same thing as described above. It lurched so hard the tires squeeled.

Good thing to be aware of, anyway.

9. Oct 28, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    BAP_29

BAP_29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s at 2.5" and Toytec 1.5" AAL Eagle Alloy 063 Wheels on 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ tires Alpine iDA-X305 Head Unit MB Quart DKD 116 Discus-Line 6.5" Front Speakers (Baffles by Marv) Alpine 6-Disk CD Changer Toyota All-Weather Floor Mats Kobalt Low-Profile Toolbox 13" Wicked Flow Muffler w/ Chrome Tip
    thats pretty weird. yesterday i noticed my crusie control "magically turned on" but i dont think it was engaged. it was just "ready" because i noticed the green symbol was lit up. But nothing like your experience has ever hapenned to me. I only use my CC on the big highways though. IMO it seems dangerous to drive with it engaged on any other roads with curves and such.

10. Oct 29, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
  11. Jan 21, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for finding that video. Very interesting. I'm not sure what exactly they mean by "surging" though. Do they mean an actual acceleration or do they simply mean that they need a lot of brake pressure to keep the vehicle stopped at a stoplight?

In any case, I just found this article about an Avalon that sounds very similar to what I experienced.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-avalon-displays-unintended-acceleration-without-floor-mat.html

For those reading this, note that I started this thread a long time ago, before all the recalls and whatnot.

12. Jan 27, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    TryingTacoma

TryingTacoma Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 AccessCab 4X2 2.7L 4cyl Auto
    Engine Hour-Meter, Fumoto Oil Change Valve, Rear RideRite Helper Air Springs and Left/Right Pressure Guages.
    REPLY: I explored the cruise control on my 2010 4x2 2.7L Auto while travelling in the mountains in Nov 2009. Same thing happened on steep upgrades any setting from 55 to 75mph. Fails to hold the speed setting, downshifts to second, almost red-lines before shifting back to fourth, then repeats the pattern.

Using the cruise paddle to disengage takes about 2 seconds to react. tapping the brake seems to be "instantaneous".

I believe it's bad cruise control software because without the cruise control the vehicle can handle the hills quite well just by downshifting to third.

I've stopped using cruise on hills because it just seems to be thrashing the drive train too much.

I'm also beginning to wonder if there is a connection to unexplained acceleration in this.

13. Jan 27, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    6-spd cruise control ftmfw

14. Jan 27, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    silvertaco82

silvertaco82 No way, get real

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Seat Covers, Weathertech floor mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Pro Comp 6", 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 18x9 XD addicts, 20% tint, Kenwood Dnx 5120, 2 10" Kicker Shallow mount subs
    yeah cruise control sucks in my truck goes 5 above or below what it was originally engaged at

15. Feb 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    Bump.

...in light of recent news headlines (i.e., reports of sudden accelerations due to alleged computer bugs).

Products Discussed in

To Top