1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

10,000 Oil Sample and Recommendations

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by hendooman, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Jan 22, 2010 at 7:08 AM
    hendooman

hendooman [OP] The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Results fro Blackstone Labs oil sample and recommendations, for some new truck owners.

Set up: Stock 4.0, no modifications

First Oil Change: 5000 Miles to Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30

Oil Sample: 10,000 Miles, oil taken directly from filter during filter change.

Driving Style: Lots of city driving, 5 mile commute to work, with at least 7 stop lights. Not a lot of extended highway driving.

My original goal was to run extended oil intervals with the Amsoil and change filter every 5000 and oil every 10,000. My ultimate goal is to make the engine last a long time. As you can see from the report below, I have a lot of elements in the oil. I called Blackstone directly to talk to them about this, and they were more than happy to help me with the explanation. They said that this is very normal for the first 10-15,000 miles on a new engine. Their recommendation was to go ahead and change the oil now, I am at 10,200 miles and replace with Mobil 1 synthetic or another equivalent and use it as sort of a flush to get that last bit of break in element out. He suggested the Mobil 1 just because of the cost, and to not waste the Amsoil for a flush. Then to change the oil again at 13,000 and go back to the Amsoil and send in another sample to check the element level again. By the third sample they think that we can make a better call on going to extended intervals.

Really glad I took the time to call them and get an explanation or I would have waitied another 5,000 miles on this Amsoil. Hope this helps some with new trucks owners in deciding what oil and intervals to use.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top