1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Black Fender Flares and Bumpers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kylemob, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Aug 27, 2009 at 5:03 AM
    imkms

imkms Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 4.0
    Intermittent Wiper Spare Tire lock
    I also purchased the base model, because I liked the looks of the black flares with the silver paint. Mine is an 09 Access Cab, V6, 4x4 and I paid 24K. You can have the body colored flares, chrome bumpers, painted door handles, etc I think the black is a better looking combination and may hold up longer. The one thing that the SR5 package included that I did want was the intermittent wipers, but thanks to the mods information on this site I was able to add that myself for about $110.00, so I saved about $1500 buying the base vs SR5 and got the look that I really wanted.

2. Jan 16, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    Airwolf NSX

Airwolf NSX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Irvine, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab
    I currently have body matched colored flares.. did anybody with body color matched flares end up getting a matte black wrap? I'd like to see some photos if anybody went this route..

3. Jan 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    mr.ernst

mr.ernst Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner bone stock
    I've been looking at the bushwacker flares online since I can't seem to find any color matched flares for sale in the short bed model and the oem ones are just too pricey.

Now granted my only research has come online so I haven't put my hands on any of them, but are the bushwacker flares a different finish from the stock flat black flares that come on some of our trucks? They appear to have the same textured finish, yet I've seen trucks with bushwacker flares painted. How is it the bushwacker flares can be painted but no one seems to want to paint the oem flat black ones?

I'm looking to color match my flares and front bumper and I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible. If the bushwacker flares are a different finish or they offer a different style that I haven't seen that are ready to be painted, then I completely understand and that will probably be the route I take, but thus far I've only seen ones that appear to have some sort of texture.

4. Jan 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    Airwolf NSX

Airwolf NSX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Irvine, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab
    how much are OEM black fenders?

5. Jan 22, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    I like the Black Flares that's why I put them on my TRD Off Road. I had the dealer ask me what I did with my "Rugged Trail" special ed Rims. I went the Wrap route cause I didn't want to take off the fender, paint it.. If i want to go back to stock I can do so by just taking it off. I have gone through bushes and they have held up just fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Jan 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    NaTaS

NaTaS Silently Sober

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Indianapolis, In
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner-Hail Proof
    Line-X Sprayed Hood-Roof-Rocker Panels-Tail Gate, 20% Tint, Ladder Racks
    I would suggest to either Rhino or Line-X them....I have done just about everything but the flares in Line-X...it is awesome against door dings, hail and hurricane damage(plus the Line-X won't ever fade and is easy to touch up if you take a chunk out of it).

7. Jan 22, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    AriZonaD54

AriZonaD54 BANNED in 49 states...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    Me too! I've got OEM fogs now in the blank sockets.

CIMG0717_c1534c5286a9400e88391f3b8204a1a8a12ea414.jpg

8. Jan 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    MGRS

MGRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra OR
    I like the black 'base' trim as well. I never, ever, see base 4x4s on the lots though. I would have bought one but all I could find were TRDs.

I ended up getting my "rugged trail" TRD for $23.5k out the door, no sales tax- this was during the $2K rebates on '08 4x4s.

My truck now is a bit of a sleeper. It now looks just like a base v6.

9. Dec 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    hudsonstrong

hudsonstrong Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    OEM black flares are going to cost about $1400 from the stealership. I found some at toyota parts warehouse website for about $1000.

10. Dec 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    looneytunemagoun

looneytunemagoun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    Leicester,mass
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    I been think of line x mine I like the look of black

11. Dec 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    2012reg4x4

2012reg4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    Downingtown, pa
    Vehicle:
    14 trd sport dcsb
    Rigid sr10inch, rigid duallys on cbi pillar mounts, bamf sliders, Jason cyber camper shell. 5100s at 1.75, wheelers aal 1.5 inch.
    i do body work daily. and the flares almost always break taking them off and if they dont the clips do, im not sure where to buy the clips separately if possible. and paint isnt likely to stick unless you know someone who paints and takes the extra time to do so. a friend of mine in the shop told me to paint my base model bumper takes nearly 5 more steps and alot more materials to do so. and then for the flares there are rubber seals that need to be reattached by double sided tape or replaced. i think they are nearly 12 dollars a piece.

so long story short, keep them black. or upgrade to aftermarket flares. there is a good cleaner/detailer product from meguiars i believe that keeps them looking like new and brings them back to life.( havent used it on mine yet as i have only owned it since april.) but other vehicles i have and makes the black look very good.

Products Discussed in

To Top