1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rooty's "Tacfroma" Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Rooty, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper with Foglights, IPF 968 Driving Lights, Color Matched Grill Surround and Eyelids, Grillcraft Grill with Custom Taco Emblem, Black Headlight Mod, EGR Hood Deflector and In Channel Rain Guards, Stock Wheels Painted Black, BFG TA/KO's in 265/75/R16, Debadged, Stubbs Welding HDSKO Sliders, Front Windows Tint, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertec Floor Mats, Autolights Unlimited Smoked 3rd Brake and Tail Lights, Powdercoated Rear Bumper, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Factory Bed Mat, Compustar 1 way remote start
    Well I bought my truck back in October and I just finished her up a few weeks ago after much research, work and liberal use of the credit card :)

Here is how she sat when I bought her (no its not my real hair)
    [​IMG]

And here is how she sits today!
    [​IMG]

Sorry I don't have any photos of the actual build. I was pretty busy just trying to get it done and I don't really want everyone on the internet to see the dismal state of my garage :eek: Anyhoo here are the mods.

ARB front bumper with IPF 968 6' Driving lights (no winch, I might get one in the future if I start to get into off-roading) Also installed a Grillcraft front grill and turned one of the Tacoma badges I took off into a custom emblem. Painted the chrome grill surround as well.
    [​IMG]

Black Headlight Mod, in Krylon Fusion Satin Black
    [​IMG]

Color matched eyelids and EGR deflector
    [​IMG]

Stock wheels painted with Rustoleum Hammered Finish Black. BFG AT/KO's in 265/75/16
    [​IMG]

Stubbs Welding HDSKO Sliders in Hammered Finish Black (Richard was a pleasure to work with, top notch product and customer service)
    [​IMG]

EGR in channel rain guards. Front window tint.
    [​IMG]

Wet Okole Seat Covers. Weather Tech Mats.
    [​IMG]

Tinted tail and 3rd brake lights compliments of Auto Lights Unlimited. Powder coated rear bumper and TRD Cat Back exhaust.
    [​IMG]

Other mods include a factory bed mat, Compustar 1 way remote start and an AFE Pro Dry Filter.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with my many questions. If anyone has questions for me I will be happy to return TW the favor. Thats about all I am doing for now. My modding thirst has been quenched for the time being and I have to give the credit card a rest. I may be lifting it in the future but the thing only has 1500 miles on it, I'm gonna roll with it as is for a while.

On a side note if anyone would be interested in the factory bumper and foglights shoot me a PM. I also have a Grillcraft lower grill insert that I never ended up using because I ended up splurging for the ARB.

So whaddya people think? Do you like it as much as me????

2. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    huge difference...looks great

3. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    Sick!!!!!!

4. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Beautiful. If you line-xed or rhinoed your fender flares black that would look good too.

5. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    looks so awesome great work!

6. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    ROOTY!
    The truck looks awesome, ya damn show off
    The 'TACO' grill is super cool
    my hat's off to you sir
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Awesome, love the truck. Looks great. :thumbsup:

8. Jan 23, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    Mondwa

Mondwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Tacoma
    remote start, Allpro bumper, Slimchubby HID, MetalMiller custom Emblem
    Very nice man, Cant wait to meet up. You going to be in the Kalispell Area around the 17th-1st of March? I will be home for that short period of time.

9. Jan 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper with Foglights, IPF 968 Driving Lights, Color Matched Grill Surround and Eyelids, Grillcraft Grill with Custom Taco Emblem, Black Headlight Mod, EGR Hood Deflector and In Channel Rain Guards, Stock Wheels Painted Black, BFG TA/KO's in 265/75/R16, Debadged, Stubbs Welding HDSKO Sliders, Front Windows Tint, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertec Floor Mats, Autolights Unlimited Smoked 3rd Brake and Tail Lights, Powdercoated Rear Bumper, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Factory Bed Mat, Compustar 1 way remote start
    Thanks guys, glad everyone likes it!

Yeah I was thinkin about that too. It would tie into the powdercoat on the ARB nicely methinks. I don't know, I'll have to mess around on photoshop and see how I like it, once that stuff goes on there is no turning back. At any rate its gonna have to wait a while that shit ain't cheap!

I know man it sucks, but I am already pushing my luck with the po-po's on the tail lights.

Yeah I'm comin home from work on the 11th next month for a 4 week break. I'll be up in Bigfork a couple of times no doubt, probably going to hit Big Mountain at least once. PM me your number and we will work something out. Let me know if you need a hand on your build!

10. Jan 23, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    deadbolt

deadbolt do w3rk!

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab 6spd 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Black Headlights, HIDs, Tinted Fogs, Powdercoated Black Wheels, 5100s @ 2.5", Diff drop, AFE Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Black Emblems/Grille, LED Tail lights, 265/75/16s Good Year Duratracs
    wowww looks sick man.!

11. Jan 23, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    meckleystephen

meckleystephen My Taco is Bi-Winning!!!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
    3 Inch Toytec lift,Blacked out badges
    im thinking about the eyelids just curious did u paint them urself or get them painted if so how much??

12. Jan 23, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    BigBawlzTaco

BigBawlzTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma SR
    Is that ARB on stock suspension??
    Doesnt look sagged at all!
    NICELY DONE MAN!!

13. Jan 23, 2010 at 9:30 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    What a huge transformation! NICE... sweet idea about power coating the rear bumper instead of just swapping it out for a stock black one.

14. Jan 23, 2010 at 11:55 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    I shot them myself after talking to Westdog976. He shot his as well and turned me onto this site http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spr...t_matched.aspx the eyelids are on ebay from seller Vq5speed here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tacom...Q5fAccessories They come primed which is nice you just shoot a few coats of base and then clearcoat em' I used the same stuff on my grill surround but shot some adhesion promoter on the plastic first. The paint matches really good, it even has the metallic flakes that are in the magnetic grey color. I still need to wet sand and polish the clear coat though...I was in a hurry to get it done.

Yeah I was a bit worried about that, even posted to get some advice. Its not to heavy without the winch, probably about 80 pounds. Little to no sag and rides fine, it may wear the shocks out quicker in the long run but by then I'll probably be lookin to lift it a bit.

Thanks, sourcing a black one second hand in Montana probably wasn't going to happen and I didn't want to pay shipping or buy a new one. Only cost me 120 bucks at my local shop to have em blast it, shoot it with zinc and powdercoat it. I just hope it holds up!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Jan 28, 2010 at 11:21 PM
    671taco

671taco thekeithchronicles

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    twenty-ten rc
    sick dude, what did you use to color match the grill?

16. Jan 28, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Whaaaaaaaat? You bought that thing in October? That's when I bought MY truck! And you've done so much more to it than I did to mine, and I don't even have a legitimate job!

Very nice, dude. I love the color(s), tints looks good, good choice on the rear powdercoat, and ARB looks awesome on the second gen grays.

Can't wait to see more updates!

A truck worthy of the Big Sky Country!

17. Jan 29, 2010 at 1:35 AM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    I used the same paint from automotivetouch.com that I used on the eyelids. (see post above) I also shot the TACO emblem with it. The stuff goes down and matches remarkably well for a rattle can. As I said above, I need to do some finish wetsanding and polishing on the clearcoat though and it will gloss up more and match even better. I also messed up by not waiting long enough for the clearcoat to cure (at least 24 preferably 48 hours I now know) before I clamped the grill surround back to the grill. I took the surround off the rest of the grill so I could lay down the paint nice and evenly and so I didn't have to do any masking. Anyways, the tabs that hold the surround to the rest of the grill appear to be melted into place at the factory (there are no locking mechanisms) So in the process of getting it off you inevitably break several of the tabs (I even had to cut a few out with the Dremel) and the surround wont snap back into place after you paint it. In order to get it back on securely I had to clamp it down in several places and use some plastic weld to bond what was left of the tabs to the grill. Since the clear coat wasn't cured, the clamps ended up smooshing it around in a couple of spots, ruining the finish (you can see a little bit of it on the upper left corner of the surround in my signature). Luckily, it didn't get all the way to the base coat though so I should be able to sand it smooth, shoot a few more coats of clear (let it cure properly this time) and do the final wetsand/polish work. Just a heads up if you are planning to do it yourself. Or if you don't want to go through the trouble you can order a OEM color matched one for around 200 bucks.

18. Jan 29, 2010 at 1:49 AM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    Thanks brother, good to get props from a first genner!

19. Jan 29, 2010 at 2:16 AM
    jacob_wood

jacob_wood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
  20. Jan 29, 2010 at 2:20 AM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    *hands Jacob a napkin*

Products Discussed in

To Top