1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

securing car seats for kids in Xtracab

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tpaglia, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    tpaglia

tpaglia [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma
    Hi there - i am hoping to get some help figuring out how/if i can safely and securely install an anchor for a child's seat in my 98 Tacoma Xtracab. I have one child in a booster which is fine - but for my younger boy to be in a car seat in the back I would prefer installing some sort of an anchor at or slightly higher than his car seat to limit side to side movement. If anyone has ideas or experience with this i would be grateful. Thanks.

Todd

2. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    cmouse

cmouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl Cab Barcelona Red
    My last truck was a '95 and I needed to do the same setup you are speaking of with my kids. I found it best to remove the jump seats so the seat was solid on the truck floor and used the seat belt with a metal anckor that attaches to the seat belt to prevent slipping. I strapped it as per manufacturer recomendations and it was fine. I was never real comfortable with them in the turck so it was mostly drop offs and pick up after work.

I contemplated an anchor and some tec screws, but never did it. The kids were getting to big for the xtra cab then I got my new double cab and haven't looked back.

Still have the old jump seats if anyone is interested...:eek:

3. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Not 100% sure but I dont think a child seat should be installed in the back of an access cab. Arent they like jump seats? If they are then it shouldnt be installed. I will do more research and get back to you. Research complete ,.... if the seats are center facing drop style seat where they lower from the side of the truck then they are not recommended for installation of a child seat of any kind.

4. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    Firefighter160

Firefighter160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    I have my daughter's car seat in the back of my extra cab and it works fine. I fold up the jump seat and flip up the little platform behind the passenger seat and it sits perfect there, nice and stable on the hard surface too. Just make sure when you run the seat belt through the back of the car seat you pull it all the way out and pull all slack out of it, it has a ratchet when you pull it out all the way and doesnt allow any pull on the belt....

5. Jan 25, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    I have an '03 extraCab with the forward facing jump seats and have car seat and boosters back there.

Just like the previous poster, I fold the jump down and bring up the cup holder tray and then put the car seat with latching belt included on that, I latch one side to the existing seat belt mount in the corner and the other goes to the hoop tie down in the center of the back. There is also a removable plastic panel right on the bottom edge of the back glass with another bracket to secure the car seat back with the attached strap. The car seat is secured in 3 spots and I am pretty confident it's not going anywhere.

As a side note, to make things much easier and for my mind closer to the rear wall, I removed the entire seat back pad from the back wall. Just took it off and threw on a shelf in the garage to replace when the kids are out of car seats. It gives you and easy extra 2-3" of room for the car seats to sit on the jump seats.

Kind of hard to explain all of this, hope it makes sense?

6. Jan 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    X3 on behind the passenger seat.....use that cup holder for support and buckle away.....My grand daughter likes this because she can actually see out that side window ;):cool:

S

7. Jan 26, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    tpaglia

tpaglia [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma
    I am new to this forum and i really appreciate the ideas and advice. A couple of you mentioned some sort of metal strap that secures to the seat belt/seat belt bolt that than can serve as an anchor - if you have any further info on what this is called (assuming it is an actual product i might be able to buy) let me know. Thank you.

8. Jan 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    cmouse

cmouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl Cab Barcelona Red
    [​IMG]

This is the device that locks the seat belt. It should have come with the car seat. Check out the manufacture's web site to see if you can get one. If not let me know I can send this one to you. I have the latch system in both my car and my truck.

9. Jan 27, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    In the access cab does the seat fold down from the side or is it like a regular bench seat? Child seats are not designed to be installed on seats that drop down from the side, They are for forward facing seats.

10. Jan 27, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    tpaglia

tpaglia [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma
    thanks for the picture - very helpful.

11. Jan 28, 2010 at 1:00 AM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    There may be info in the owners manual if you have one.

My 2001 AC has quite a few pages of info explaing how to hook up car seats for kids.

12. Jan 28, 2010 at 1:14 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    Could you get us a few pics?

13. Jan 28, 2010 at 5:22 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    I think it was only the 01-04 that had the rear cup holders. Also, on my 01, it has an anchor point ontop of the rear passenger side seat.

Products Discussed in

To Top