1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Those Mods!!! -> Lights under the hood

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lakewoodbilly, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Jul 26, 2008 at 11:21 AM
    lakewoodbilly

lakewoodbilly [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    White 08 DC V6 SR5 4WD TRD Sport
    Factory DRL's, Underhood Flood LED's, Underbody Multi-color LEDS, Red Line Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Anytime Fog Lights, PIAA 4100 Intense White, Luminics JDM Yellow H10 Fog Lights, OBX Sport Pedals, Sill Protectors, Bed Net, Front Bed Tie Downs, iPod and Aux Factory HU Interface, Sirius Sportster 5, Satellite Antenna through third brake light
    Hey Guys and Gals, I have been busy doing a lot of the great mods to be found on this site. My wife gave up on me for now for doing any house projects :rolleyes:

I installed these lights under the hood. I used an Add-A-Circuit in the fusebox and added onto where the Dome Light circuit comes from. I ran the power out of the fuse box to run my under truck lighting, my hood lights, and my spare 12V socket installed under the hood mostly to power my magnet light I bought at Walmart.
    I purchased the LED lights from oznium. I choose the ones already encased in aluminum. I choose to mount these on the sides of the engine compartment instead of on the hood. I'm really glad I did this since the light radiates up off of the hood and provides adequate lighting on top. Plus, you need the lighting on the sides to see what you need to see.
    Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]

Note the little round light above the yellow portable light:
    [​IMG]

Picture taken indirectly
    [​IMG]

Because they are so bright!!!
    [​IMG]

Hood Pin Switch (grounded); as soon as I pop the release in the cab, the lights come on:
    [​IMG]

Final Result with underbody light kit turned on and under hood lights installed.
    [​IMG]

Oh ya, I got the multi-color led light kit from VMInnovations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

dbole007 and AntonioAbad like this.
  2. Jul 26, 2008 at 11:24 AM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's freaking sharp! Damn nice Tacoma.

Luke-Maine likes this.
  3. Jul 26, 2008 at 11:33 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    I wish you were my neighbor. With two tacomas in the picture, our wifes would think we had something going on in the garage. LOL. Dude love the mods. What's next? How about a remote window roll down feature like that of other Lexus models?

4. Jul 26, 2008 at 12:08 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Looks good!

5. Jul 26, 2008 at 12:27 PM
    06tacomaprerunner

06tacomaprerunner the foreigner

Member:
    B. C. Mex.
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 dbl cab shortbed, r
    BILSTEIN 5100, 1/4 inch wheel spacers,removed front mud flaps, 285/70/17 bfg mud terrain km2 and a lot of scratches in front and rear bumpers
    good job man

6. Jul 26, 2008 at 1:19 PM
    Spacedude

Spacedude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Campbell, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner TRD Off-Road Indigo
    Bed mat, Access Limited Edition tonneau cover, DeeZee Elite nerf bars, AVS Bugflector II, Toyota aluminum skid plate, Toyota TRD seat covers.
    As an amateur astronomer, I absolutely love the night vision red light underneath. I could read my star charts with that! Very cool.
    -spacedude

7. Jul 26, 2008 at 1:34 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    nice lights!

8. Jul 26, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Very nice! How's that pin switch working out for you? I have a similar one (smaller contact head that your's) and the damn thing keeps missing the contact point on the hood. :( So I've had a dead battery 3 times now due to my hood light staying on all the time. I used a portable like your yellow one. What are the lights you used? I've never seen them before.

Did you put some of the VMInnovation tubes in your bed too so you can see in there at night? :D

9. Jul 26, 2008 at 5:45 PM
    lakewoodbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    Factory DRL's, Underhood Flood LED's, Underbody Multi-color LEDS, Red Line Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Anytime Fog Lights, PIAA 4100 Intense White, Luminics JDM Yellow H10 Fog Lights, OBX Sport Pedals, Sill Protectors, Bed Net, Front Bed Tie Downs, iPod and Aux Factory HU Interface, Sirius Sportster 5, Satellite Antenna through third brake light
    I used this pin switch. The design and placement leaves no room for error. Seems like it is a quality switch.
    http://www.oznium.com/pin-switch
    Mine has a close tolerance, pop the hood release and the lights come on with just 3/8" opening in the hood. Push the hood closed and off they go.

I got these lights from oznium. They're $15 each, so a bit spendy.
    http://www.oznium.com/high-intensity-led-floodlight

I'm not sure what I'm going to put in the bed. I installed a switch in my dash that I bought from oznium (it is for a scion but fits well in my dash. I have a switch that does nothing right now!) Will likely make that the bed light switch. I'm thinking about installing 2 or 3 of the led's I used under my hood. I would probably opt for the cooler white for the bed though. The more yellow for under the hood was for the practical purpose of seeing better to do some work / maintenance item.

I bought some high quality, very small stainless steel screws to install them. Wish I could rivet them, but the holes are small and very close to the body of the light. Just doesn't work.

I see that they are backordered for 5 weeks :eek: for the white ones. I think I put the warm white under the hood.

I've been waiting 5 weeks to receive some prewired 3mm LED Orange lights that I'm going to install in my cup holders. I just saw on their web site that these show 1 day lead time? I'll have to bug them as my next mod is being held up waiting for these orange leds.

10. Jul 26, 2008 at 6:03 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Maybe I just need to relocate my switch... :D Your's is closer to the headlight than mine...

DSCF2312_f9ffd778da5215d129548c86a150c8f13eafe53a.jpg

11. Jul 26, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    lakewoodbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    I put mine as close to the inside and to the front as possible. It catches the thicker part of the hood.

12. Jul 26, 2008 at 6:19 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I thought mine would too, but it just flexes to the side enough to not get pushed down..... :frusty: So I think tomorrow I'm going to steal your location idea. :D And update my cheap/free thread.... :eek:

13. Jul 26, 2008 at 6:20 PM
    lakewoodbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    Next up are Orange LED's for the cup holders, under seat LED's, center console light, 2 rear 12V outlets, TRD Skid Plate.

14. Jul 28, 2008 at 1:40 PM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    Not to be an a$$, however, I'm guessing your underhood lights are just for looks, because I don't see any benefit for under hood inspection or repair if needed. Unless that was your intention to light the underside of the hood.

Marc M

15. Jul 28, 2008 at 2:24 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

So how do you see to hook up jumper cables at night when a dumbass buddy left his lights on too long? :D

Or, in my case, clip my air compressor leads to the battery.

16. Aug 13, 2008 at 7:25 AM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    You are right, a proper inspection will no be able to be done with this lights positioned on that place, the product is great, I'm ordering it to replace my tilt lights they really flood my underhood area, but at least one of them start to fail (they are from a GM truck -junkyard-) and I already removed the bulb from it to avoid any death battery on the future. I have not find any replacement until now. Great mod, not a good location to apply it.

[​IMG]

17. Aug 13, 2008 at 10:23 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    man alive....now something else that is neat and I have to do.
    I had thought my list of mod's to do was getting smaller, but noooooo, it growing.

ps. how do you guys keep under the hood so clean? or are these newer rides. I clean it up, but a day in the wood ands its a complete mess again.

18. Aug 13, 2008 at 10:51 AM
    lakewoodbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:

19. Aug 13, 2008 at 10:53 AM
    lakewoodbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    Mine is a new, well 4 months old; I already have over 10k miles on it. Towards winter, I'll clean it up to almost new and will try to keep up with it for a few years. Eventually, it just won't come clean without disassembling stuff so I will lose the battle of "new looking".

20. Sep 6, 2008 at 7:52 PM
    CraigTRD

CraigTRD It's been a while

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro 6M
    Will have: 6" FabTech Lift, Custom rear leaf packs. Hockey Stick Canadian Flag Mod.
    Wow, that is pretty cool man. I didn't think that a Tacoma could look so pretty. I try to make mine look mean and nasty. Good work!

Cheers!

Products Discussed in

To Top