1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lower idler pulley replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by eyball, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Nov 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    eyball

eyball [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    So I changed out my Serpentine belt again yesterday and this morning still had a nice chirp going with the belt in some rain. I did inspect the pulleys and tensioner when I took the belt off and they all spun great except the lower idler between the crank shaft & the AC compressor. It had some resistance to it. I did use a Dayco aftermarket belt in hopes it was better than the stock one but still chirping today. So I ordered a Gates idler pulley to replace the lower idler tonight. Can anyone tell me the torqe specs on this and should I use thread lock on this bolt? Any other assistance would be helpful. I do a lot of my own auto work but I have never replaced one of these pulleys. I cant imagine its too hard though.

Hopefully this finally resolves my squeaky chirping tacoma!

2. Nov 30, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    What year and engine?

3. Nov 30, 2009 at 9:12 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    You should'nt need any thread locker for the idler pulleys. If anything, and it makes you feel better, throw a small amount of blue loctite on it. Definitely not the red though.

FWIW The idler pulleys are a fairly common part to fail. As for torque specs, we cant help you on that without any information on your truck. You could always put your vehicle information in your user profile to help other assist you when you ask questions like this.

4. Nov 30, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I checked your profile, and if its regarding the engine in your double cab (1GR-FE), the #2 idler pully is torqued to 29 ft-lbs.

HootEversmen likes this.
  5. Dec 1, 2009 at 3:43 AM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys, Yeah its the 1GR-FE 4.0 liter. Oh and its the #1 Pulley on the bottom. The #2 is the top two pulley's according to the PDF file I have. There are 2 #2's on top and a #1 on the bottom. Guess I should update my profile.

Chris

6. Dec 1, 2009 at 4:35 AM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop
    Let me know how you make out. I held off on replacing my tensioner, since the squeak/squeal went away for a few days, but now it's back again. I think I may pull the belt one more time, and rock the pulleys up and down and side to side to see if I can pinpoint which pulley might be bad (I couldn't tell simply by spinning).

7. Dec 1, 2009 at 5:25 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Ok. The Nember 1 pully gets 40 ft - lbs.

8. Dec 1, 2009 at 5:45 AM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks I will let you know how it goes. I have to wait for the part to come in though. I checked everything when I changed the belt and everything seamed to spin ok without an real wobble with the exception of the lower #1 pulley that seamed to have some resistance to it. It was only $50 shipped from RockAuto for a Gates Pulley so I figure start there first. I am on my 3rd replacement belt since I got the truck less than 2 years ago and still its chirping away! So agravating!

9. Dec 6, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    Well I replaced the lower idler pulley today and the noise is still there. After removing the old pulley it seamed ok so I had a feeling it was not going to fix the problem. So anyway I sprayed some silicone into the shaft of the tensioner pulley and the noise went away. I am thinking about replacing that next. Anyone replace this part and how easy is it? Looks like its really packed in there behind the hoses and all.

Thanks

10. Dec 6, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I havent replaced one on a 1GR-FE yet, but they are pretty easy to do. Just give yourself alot of room to work in there.

11. Dec 6, 2009 at 11:22 AM
    Rhino8541

Rhino8541 I like ze best!

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    Do you have a schematic of how to do the pulley replacement? I've had it done twice under warranty so far, expecting it to happen again, and not sure how many more times I can get it under warranty.

12. Dec 6, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    I have a PDF file that I found on here but the bottom one was easy if you remove the skid plate. I also took off the top one next to the power steering pump and cleaned it and sprayed silicone into it. Reinstalled it and the noise seemed to be gone for a moment then it cam back. I am going to order the top two pulleys now I am just debating on ordering the tensioner too. On rockauto its $70 for the tensioner but no increase in shipping costs if i buy it with the other idlers.

13. Dec 6, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    Rhino8541

Rhino8541 I like ze best!

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    Could you PM or link the PDF? That would be very helpful to me in the future the rate I'm going! Thanks

14. Dec 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    So I replaced the two upper number two pulleys tonight and put the belt back on and still I had my squeal/noise going. So I also had purchased the tensioner assembly but I realized that this part is behind the alternator and the AC compressor so I did not want to tackle that job tonight. What I did do is remove the pulley from the tensioner assembly and installed that in place of the pulley on my truck. It seamed to line up fine and I actually think its the same as the number 1 pulley on the bottom. Anyway as Im sure you guessed the noise was still squealing away. Now the belt I have on there is a Dayco aftermarket belt thats less than two weeks old. Just for the heck of it I took it off completely and put my stock Toyota belt back on that the dealer installed last March when they said I had only a bad belt. I know, total BS!! Anyway, after putting the old Toyota belt back on the noise is gone. For now anyway. We will see for how long. Might be back tomorrow morning. It seams to come with the cold.

So I am at a total loss now! I plan to return the tensioner assembly as I took that pulley right back off I also plan to return the crappy Dayco belt if I can. So what next? I think I might take it back to the dealer later this month since I have an extended warrantee and its only a $100 deductable but last time that cost me $200 and I got a new belt out of it that lasted for a few months. Anyway, I have never had so much trouble with any of my trucks even the Ford I owned. Toyota's are just not built like they used to be.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? AC compressor? Power steering pump? Alternators? Not much else but the water pump/fan.....:mad:

TacoLife_3rdgen likes this.
  15. Jan 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    badyota

badyota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    06 black dbcab tss 4x4
    3 in lift, 17'' rims, hopefully more to come.
    Mine Started bout three days ago and would describe it as a chirp! replacing the number 2 pulley on the passengers side tomorrow. i belive thats where its coming from.

16. Jan 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    I ended up replacing all idlers and the tensioner assembly. My chirp did not go away until I replaced the tensioner and it was a PIA to do. So far so good though.

17. Jan 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    guizmouth

guizmouth Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guizmouth
    Cowansville,Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008 4X4 TRD Tacoma (from USA)
    I have exactly the same noise till 3 month. I changed the belt and it still there. Last summer, I saw someone insert a small shim rear the lower idler pulley and the sound gone. I'll try it when I'll have time. The guy told me that the shims aligned the idler pulley and it's an accurate job to do. How many shims? It's always different he told me. Try and you'll see.

DSC00434.jpg

18. Jan 30, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    There is actually a service bulletin on the 4runner with the same engine and it describes shimming the pulley on the tensioner assembly. I think that might be why my chirp is gone, as I used an aftermarket tensioner from Rock Auto. I can say that its been a month and so far so good and it has been very cold and I have been through heavy rains also. I also put the year old stock belt back on. The aftermarket parts are cheaper and they have sealed bearings so I would recomend them over the stock parts.

nice truck by the way. How do you like the bull bar? I have the nerf bars and have always though about adding the matching bull bar. Is that Westin?

19. Jan 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    Is the tensioner pulley the same part and part# as the lower idler?

I know that the upper idler's are the same part#

Thanks for any info...

20. Jul 3, 2010 at 3:24 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    There are replacement pulleys available at NAPA that are manufactured by Gates.

#36173 replaces the two upper idler pulleys.

#36174 will replace the lower idler pulley as well as the tension pulley. Toyota doesn't sell just the pulley for the tensioner, instead asking you to purchase the whole unit for a ridiculous price - and the installation is a pain. If you do try and replace the tension pulley, remember that the bolt thread is reverse so the whole lefty loosely / righty tighty doesn't apply.

Four idler wheels in total:

2 x #36173 for the two upper pulleys.
    2 x #36174 for the lower and tension pulley.

jmich2001 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top