1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My truck shakes when changing gears

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Slipperypimp, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Feb 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    X2
    The link posted will not replace all the transmission fluid BTW. You should replace your transmission fluid every 60k miles.

2. Feb 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    MarineTacoDriver

MarineTacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cherry Point
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, ATO front/transmission/transfer case skids, Icon ext travel coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, OME Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein/RCD 5100 3-4" lift shock, extended stainless brake lines, DrewFab shackle flip, rear ARB Airlocker, ARB air compressor
    I don't know if I would use the phrase "My Tranny" there ;)

3. Feb 9, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Take it back in or have a second opinion from another mechanic..............

4. Mar 28, 2010 at 11:49 AM
    Slipperypimp

Slipperypimp [OP] Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner, Stock. 0 problems until this BS
    Flamethrower, 2xMa Deuce, 99inch rims, FLIR, stripper pole, dentist chair, gnome deflectors.
    Here is an update:

After having a full flush and sending off a sample of the prior fluid off to Blackstone there is no change. The Blackstone analysis reported nothing out of the sort. The current status is that my truck still shakes.

I'm at a loss.

5. Mar 28, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Might be the torque converter after all...

6. May 24, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    bes

bes New Member

Member:
    Slippery- I am having the exact same problems with my 2006 tacoma. It just started about 2 months ago. Have you found a solution to the problem yet?

7. May 25, 2011 at 6:21 AM
    Slipperypimp

Slipperypimp [OP] Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    Flamethrower, 2xMa Deuce, 99inch rims, FLIR, stripper pole, dentist chair, gnome deflectors.
    I haven't found, nor have I sought a solution to the actual problem. I found that when I take my truck out of overdrive and allow the gears to shift automatically until I'm in 3rd I don't have the shimmy. This has been my practice for a while now and it seems to work well.

Not optimal, but I'm not spending several grand to replace a transmission when I'm pretty sure the issue isn't mechanical.

8. May 25, 2011 at 6:36 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I wouldn't necessarily say your mechanic did anything wrong but these thransmissions are a lot different than other transmissions. When I went to have my transmission flushed I called 4 different places and no one would touch it other than the Toyota Dealership. When you had it flushed for he second time, was this done at a Toyota Dealership?

9. May 27, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    bes

bes New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the feedback slippery. I took mine to a transmission guy in my town that has been doing it for 40 years and he couldn't figure it out but didn't think it was the transmission, idk. He told me to drive it until it got unbearable or a light came on then he could hook it up to the computer and see if it hit on anything. It's just strange that our trucks are doing the exact same thing. Mine too is a 2006 double cab v 6 automatic. I noticed mine does it worse if I am easing up a slight incline but I can give it a little gas and it chages just a smooth as the day i got it

10. Nov 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    gftman

gftman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner
    My 2009 just recently started doing the shifting shudder when in OD. Does not do it all the time and seems to do it more after it has warmed up a bit. I tried taking it out of OD until I'm up to highway speeds, say 50 and then going to OD. It does not shudder on shifts like this. I'm fearing something in the transmission or torque converter

11. Jan 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    Jpmag69

Jpmag69 Member

Member:
    Menifee CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Dbl Cab PreRunner LB
    Any updates? My truck does the same thing. :(

12. Jan 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    gftman

gftman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner
    Yes, I called up my local trusted mechanic to see what he knew about this problem. He was familiar with the issue. He told me he could flush the tranny, replace the filter, Toyota Fluid, add a friction additive and he had a 50/50 success rate with this. He said total cost would be $400.

I had just received word from the Toyota dealership that a new tranny was required at over $2500. I elected to try the $400 flush.

I would say it is 95% as good as it was the day I bought it. Shifts really well. When I originally decided I had a problem and took it to Toyota, (my dealership throws in a lifetime drivetrain warranty with the purchase), I'm almost certain they also reloaded the shifting software during their diagnosis. Before, the truck would downshift at odd spots when going through turns and up and down hills. I understand there were some issues with the engine break logic. That's gone as well.

Anyway, I have about 130,000 on my 09. Serviced tranny at just over 125,000 and I'm not seeing the issue anymore. Toyota absolutely knows they have a problem with this, but I don't think they want to acknowledge it. I went back to the dealership and told them I wanted to get this on record with them due to the lifetime drivetrain warranty. Met with the Service Dept manager and the salesman I bought the truck from. Laid it all out there that I brought it to them for help and they offered a $2500 solution. Took it to an independent 3rd party garage and for $400, got it fixed. The service manager said $400 was too high for a service. I asked him why he didn't offer it if they could do it cheaper. He took the company line and said Toyota recommends replacement. They know they have a problem. They just want the consumer to pay for a solution! Good Luck!!

13. Jan 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    Slipperypimp

Slipperypimp [OP] Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    In this forum, how many individuals have this same problem? I am writing a letter to Toyota and would like to document more than just my problem. If you'll send me your username I'll be happy to include you as those with similar complaints.

Terrible Toyota likes this.
  14. Aug 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    Don Norcal

Don Norcal New Member

Member:
    Maybe I'm to late, But I just joined here because I was looking for an answer to this EXACT problem. If I take it out of O drive it's ok. Then when I get up to speed I shit it back into O drive. OR if I punch it, it doesn't do it either. Mostly when driving slow in town. And after seeing others with the EXACT same problem then something is not right. What is it?
    It sure gets on my nerves though. I have not taken it in to be worked on yet.

15. Feb 27, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    00Jimmy00

00Jimmy00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    08 SupWht OR
    I see a lot of guys have this issue but no one is admitting to the neglect they gave the trucks. "It's Toyotas fault" etc. Most problems in my life arose from something I did?
    Now, don't jump all over me on that statement as I know there is a flip side to the coin and that some of you poor guys had this issue from the start with very little mileage on the trucks. That sucks for sure but Toyota should buck up, if it's under warranty and change your torque convertor. -I am not just saying that, this is what Toyota did to a friends truck and problem solved.

With that being said, another one bites the dust. Just hit 110,000 mi on my 10 trd offroad. I have a shudder/slipping/shake on a light acceleration. The shake comes a few seconds before it changes gears 2nd to 3 and so on. Like everyone else, it goes away in when I take it out of overdrive or accelerate more aggressively through the gears.

It feels sort of like the take off shudder but a little longer frequency in between the shudder.

Now for the part I pin the problem on me rather then the Toyota.
    In hindsight, I suppose all the fishtails and burnouts in the snow hasn't helped. The problem reared its head yesterday when I put the hammer down to beat a red light camera. The intersection had a big hump in it and I caught a little air. Also, both rear icons 2.5's are blown from whoop D doos at 70 down the beach. The only way to do 70 is in 2 wheel and on soft sugar sand the wheels are spinning and gripping the entire 7 miles I drive the beach. The blown shocks probably doesn't help either. Moreover, I never did a tranny flush as recommended. So all in all, this is my fault!

So what's the issue? It's your torque converter! Probably around $2800 from the Stealership! What's the alternative? As said earlier, drive in D4 and switch to overdrive after 50 for the rest of the trucks life or flush the fluid and cross your fingers then sell your truck.
    Good luck 00

16. Feb 27, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  17. Feb 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM
    00Jimmy00

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    08 SupWht OR
    Good read and write ups. I still can't believe some of the write ups on this site.
    There is definitely a good possibility the level is low. Quick question, you mentioned that sometimes they are low from factory from the get go. Besides an apparent leak, how else can you loose the fluid? Can an overheat or such cause a loss of fluid. I have 110k on my truck and never had any unordinary issues except, now that I think about it, about a month ago I smelt tranny fluid-Ha :D I checked for leaks but it was nearly impossible because everything was wet and snow covered. I never smelt it again and never saw any leaks after that. I chalked it up to a blown tranny in the plow trucks around town.
    Luckily I have some "in's" at the dealer so I won't be raped and lied to when they do the flush. For now, I am going to pay for the flush. Thanks for the read/edu.

18. Feb 27, 2014 at 5:34 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    There is no other way the fluid can leak out unless you have a leak and the flash point is very high ( 450 )so you are going to smell it if you beleive the fluid is burning up .

Dealerships dont touch the valve body when specific problems with shifting show up . They might drop the pan to change a solenoid but I beleive thats as far as they go .I doubt they have a pressure guage to properly test our transmission as per Aisn Warners guidleines
    They simply quote you the cost of installing a new transmission hoping you bite without properly diagnosing the problem .

19. Feb 28, 2014 at 6:41 AM
    00Jimmy00

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    08 SupWht OR
    I am quite familiar with burning tranny fluid. My dodge 1500 lit on fire when the spark plug guard rusted off, dropped down and arc'd from my starter to the fluid line then spit onto the exhaust. poof! Starbucks cappuccino and a gatorade put it out. I don't recommend throwing water on oil fires but that's all i had and it worked after a big flash of flames.

I thought you would say that there was no other way to loose fluid. i am not going to replace the tranny/torque converter. I am just going to get the flush cross my fingers. I doubt that I will let them know that I am having issues shifting.

20. Mar 3, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    00Jimmy00

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    08 SupWht OR
    Just a follow up on the shaking when changing gears. Dropped off the truck to Toyota Saturday morning for Tranny Fluid Flush. They said they had a flush machine. I didn't get to speak with the mechanic afterwards but the invoice said they used a tranny service kit. I am not sure what they really changed besides the fluid but I no longer have the shake/shudder when switching gears. Final cost after some discounts $253.00 with tax. I guess it helps to know someone as customer service was nice, service fast and cost was less then expected. They somehow fixed my tire pressure sensor so the light no longer comes on. Thought it was busted as I had evened out the pressure and light stayed on. Anyway thanks for the info.

Products Discussed in

To Top