1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need help finding "hot" wire under bed

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by kjf216, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 [OP] Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    im trying to find a Hot wire under the bed but i really want one that is only hot when the key is in the on position. i see people talk about tapping off the trailer harness the problem is i have a 4 pin harness so idk if my harness has a acc hot wire. please point me in the right direction.

2. Feb 10, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I don't think there is one.

I gave up looking and just ran a new wire from the engine compartment fuse box for my compressor and camper shell lights.

3. Feb 10, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    default83

default83 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Katy
    Vehicle:
    01 DC 2wd
    could use the running light wire, and then just hit the parking lights on when you need juice. or there is always the fuel pump wire, but better seal it off pretty good if you tap into it.

4. Feb 10, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    I don't know about under the bed but there is one on the brake lights but you have to have the lights turned on. That is how we hooked up the bed lights on my dad's taco. Works good, look below.
    [​IMG]

5. Feb 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Can we ask what you are trying to power?

I do not like to tap into existing circuits for power unless the circuit can handle the load. Many automotive circuits are not "over-engineered" enough to allow much additional draw, depending on where you are tapping in.

The great way to do it is using a relay that is powered on by a key on circuit. The control side of the relay uses very little power (amps) and can then send power to an accessory at the feed side rating. Put a fuse or fuse link in from a battery lug and run the wire back to where you need it. Calculating the amount of wire and size is easy once you know what you want to run. Just use a calculator like the one here http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm to see how much the voltage drop would be. Use a large enough wire to handle the load and keep the drop to a minimum.

HTH

Products Discussed in

To Top