1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How is the paint holding up on the grille you painted?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tsenekos, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    I have some leftover black paint from doing my rims and would like to cover up the chrome grille surround. If you have done this how is the paint holding up? Did you prime it? If you have a silver streak truck and did yours black can you please post a pic I havent seen a silver truck with a black grille?? not sure if it will look good or not. Thanks guys and gals:)

2. Feb 11, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    [​IMG]

My grill is still holding up great, and im in the middle of winter.
    Now seeing the grill is plastic, i didnt use the same paint i used on my steel rims. Good prep work is the key to a good paint job.

[​IMG]

3. Feb 11, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    Tsenekos

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    I want to paint the chrome but thanks for the pics and tips

4. Feb 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    I painted mine and that was last june or july cant remember...but it has held up really well. however i did take a couple of rocks to the grill and chipped the paint in 2 spots but nohting i cant touch up. im gonna do it this weekend since im installing a bumper and winch. you need to use sand paper on the chrome. you dont have to scrub it all of unless you want to. just you a fine grit sand paper if you get too low of a grit# you will see the scratches when you spray paint it. prep is everything.

edit. yeah i primed it and ive seen a few trucks on here that were silver with black accents and it looks really good!

5. Feb 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    I painted the chrome on the Silverado I had in college. It held up nice, BUT anytime I got a rock chip, the paint and primer would chip together and reveal the chrome underneath. The chrome stuck out like a sore thumb, even against the white paint.

6. Feb 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    cheehab

cheehab I bleed Black and Gold

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
    Mine's no holding up as well as I had hoped. If I had it to do over again I would buy a gray one first and start with that. I sanded the chrome off mine, but I live in an area that sands the shit out of the roads so mine is pretty chipped.

7. Feb 11, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    yeah i dont think there is any way around it getting chipped should a rock hit it. the best you could do is sand it down and primer it then paint and touch it up anytime it gets chipped. its worth it to get rid of the chrome and i would have to touch it up a LOT before it would justify buying a black one. Maybe i'll get lucky and find one off a salvage but what are the odds of that:)

8. Feb 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    Tsenekos

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    thanks guys maybe I will leave it chrome and do a satoshi instead

9. Feb 11, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    Jreaka13

Jreaka13 COLORADO!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma extended bed Sport
    Everything that i have done so starting first with the shell, westin sportsman front grill,PIAA fog lights, westin rear light guards, dee-zee side steps, Nice upgradred rims and tires, dvd player,12 inch sub, Halo headlights, K&n Cold air intake, bed mat......
    good write up guys!!

10. Feb 12, 2010 at 4:37 AM
    grammy

grammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    4x4 v6 X-Cab
    I purchased a used painted grill on ebay for $50 and painted that to colour match using a rattle can. You don't have to worry about the chrome and you keep your old grill just in case it doesn't work out. My paint is holding up well.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Feb 12, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I had mine sprayed radiant red and its holding up decently - some chips here and there.

I take it off during the winter and replace it with a spare chrome one I have. They sand the hell out of the roads around here in the winter and chips are a given.

12. Feb 13, 2010 at 4:25 AM
    c0astie31

c0astie31 TACO SUPREME

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Long Island ny
    Vehicle:
    2011 4Runner Trail Edition
    A LOT
    you need to sand the chrome down as much as you can. then used a adhesion promoter to help the paint stick. if you do this steps, you should be fine. also, as a body shop to clear it after, when they are clearing abother project, sometimes they just do it and say here, don't worry.

13. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:35 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Waste of time and money if you don't scuff it up.

A spare chrome grill can be had for around $50 - $60 on Ebay or the classifieds thread...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top