1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Same tire, different load ratings. Need help!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by nermalgod, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    nermalgod

nermalgod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    I need new tires and am impressed bythe Firestone Destionation A/T.

I'm looking at putting a slightly larger tire on, a 265/75 R16 instead of the standard 265/70 R16.

Is it even worth changing tire sizes? The bigger ones cost less.

Next question, Tirerack.com returns two tires with differnt load and speed ratings. Which one is recommended for a '06 4x4 Access Cab?

Option 1, 114S
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ESTATOWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Option 2, 112/109R
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ESTATOWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Option 1 costs less, but am I guessing that a higher carrying capacity results in a rougher ride, or are there other tire nuances that I don't know about?

2. Feb 19, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    nermalgod

nermalgod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    I know it's another tire question, but hopefully someone can lend me some incite.

3. Feb 19, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    GSRON

GSRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Cement
    Quikfix seat risers and lic plate mount, MESO interior and stage 1 tails, glove box and console dividers, shelf for center console, FACTOR 55 hitch link, TC bed stiffeners, OE bed mat,
    Option 2 if you do any offroading in the rocks.
    Option 1 is a 4 ply tread and #2 in 6 ply I doubt you'll notice a difference in ride.

4. Feb 20, 2010 at 5:10 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Not many people realize the stock tires from the factory on all Tacoma's (yes even the TRD Off Road) are P-passenger rated tires, not LT-light truck C rated tires.

The factory tires on my truck were rated for about 2300lbs...which would be about the lowest rated you would want to go. The closest to that rating would maintain your ride quality and mpg a little better. But the difference in both those isn't enough to be concerned with, I'd go with the cheaper one.

Option 1 is 2600lbs
    Option 2 is 2470lbs

Both would hold up fine to moderate trails. I offroad with P-rated all terrains and they have held up just fine.

Ply ratings no longer exist in todays tires, it is now load ratings because tires are not made the same anymore.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55
    "Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers found inside the tire, but indicate an equivalent strength based on early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric body plies, or one steel ply."

Products Discussed in

To Top